PDA

View Full Version : Kawie 21hp needs replacing at 1280hrs ???

jomowz
05-19-2007, 09:29 AM
My Ex Mark lazer HP has a Kawie 21 hp engine. I have changed the oil every week since I,ve owned it. Filters every 100 hrs. I lost power & have no compression in one cylinder & week in the other . Is it possible the motor is tirid & needs replacing?
thanks, Joe 1280hrs on the motor !!!

Restrorob
05-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Has it been smoking ?
Have you been having to add oil ?
What kind of numbers are you calling weak ?

jomowz
05-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Restrorob, I run that mower about 25hrs per week. No, it hasn't been smoking or using oil at all. We did a lower crankcase gasket on it at 888hrs because it was "sweating" oil around the block which solved that problem. It did seem to be starting harder the past 2 seasons than it did when it was newer.
Do you know the life expectancy of that engine?
thanks, Joe

Restrorob
05-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Do you know the life expectancy of that engine?

Joe,

There are too many variables to the life span of a engine, If this one has been maintained as you stated you may see 1800 or more.

I would suggest removing the valve covers and check/adjust the valves, Kawasaki recommends doing this every 300 hrs. for peak performance but most over look this task.

You could even find a push-rod dropped out of the rocker.

Below is the procedure if you should need it;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FH500VValveAdjustment.jpg

Good Luck !

Mowingman
05-19-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a vert. shaft Kawasaki in my shop now, with 1380 hours on it and worn out. Owner reported loss of power. Found crankshaft and/or block is worn out at the top where the crank comes out the top and the flywheel attaches. There is no bearing, the crank runs directly against the block here, with only an oil seal holding oil in. It is so worn, that the tip off was, that the flywheel was wobbling and hitting against the coils. Can not see any clear evidence that engine ingested dirt. Just wore out.

barnard
05-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Joe,

There are too many variables to the life span of a engine, If this one has been maintained as you stated you may see 1800 or more.

I would suggest removing the valve covers and check/adjust the valves, Kawasaki recommends doing this every 300 hrs. for peak performance but most over look this task.

You could even find a push-rod dropped out of the rocker.

Below is the procedure if you should need it;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FH500VValveAdjustment.jpg

Good Luck !
Restrorob, Kawasaki also recommends lapping the valves and cleaning the combustion chambers at 300 hrs ,if memory serves me. Is this necessary in your experience?I have 450 hours on my FH721, and I have set the clearances. Ihaven't pulled the heads and lapped the valves and I'm not totally convinced of its necessity. This is my first kawasaki though and can't base it on actual experience

khouse
05-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Your valves may have been ran so long out of adjustment that you may have a burnt valve. Maybe a valve job will get it going. If you adjust your valves with no success then perform a leakdown test to see if it's a valve or rings that need serviced.

jomowz
05-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Guys, Thanks for helping me out.I did have a wollbly flywheel air intake. I also had a mechanic tell me that the head gasket was shot & the valves were loose. He told me the labor would be around $500. A new 23hp installed would be $1900, so I went for the new motor. Did I do the right thing?
Thanks again, Joe

barnard
05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes, You did.