PDA

View Full Version : tires passing inspection

mcwlandscaping
05-19-2007, 11:48 AM
What is the minimum amount of tread you need on your tires to pass inspection?

Turf Terror
05-19-2007, 12:36 PM
I think it's 5/32nd of an inch.
Place a penny in the thread(Lincoln headfirst)...if the depth goes past his hair, the tire is OK.

Edit to add: I lived in Nashua for 8yrs.

mcwlandscaping
05-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I think it's 5/32nd of an inch.
Place a penny in the thread(Lincoln headfirst)...if the depth goes past his hair, the tire is OK.

Edit to add: I lived in Nashua for 8yrs.
Thanks, that's pretty neat....what part did you live in?

Ive heard about that penny trick but didn't know if it was true. I have a feeling mine won't pass inspection next month :( oh well, wanted new one anyway!

Petr51488
05-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I really dont think they check the tires.. Mine went in and their pretty worn down and passed They may differ from state to state.

South Florida Lawns
07-04-2007, 01:40 PM
in my area you can run race slicks. pretty much anything goes down in florida.

YukonG
07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Most tires have wear indicators built into the tread. When your tread is worn to a certain point, you will see the small bars connecting each row of tread. You have to look into the deepest grooves of the tread; and you will see small humps. These are the wear indicators.

mcwlandscaping
07-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Needed new ones anyway so i got them before the inspection......yea FL. no inspection

DBL
07-04-2007, 03:51 PM
man south florida lawns must be your new mechanic mike hes commented on every truck issue you have

Detroitdan
07-05-2007, 05:44 AM
In NH the inspection requirement is only 2/32nds of an inch in a major tread groove in center of tread. Which is almost nothing. I doubt that any station would actually pass a tire with as little tread as what the law allows, they'd just tell you the tire is bald and you fail the inspection. But, technically you can pass with only 2/32nds in a center groove, additionally you can't have any cuts over 1 inch, bald spots, sidewall repairs or dry rot. I think generally by the time you get down to 2/32nds in the middle you've probably worn off enough outer tread to be considered a bald spot and fail anyway.

d&rlawncare
07-05-2007, 07:33 AM
In NH the inspection requirement is only 2/32nds of an inch in a major tread groove in center of tread. Which is almost nothing. I doubt that any station would actually pass a tire with as little tread as what the law allows, they'd just tell you the tire is bald and you fail the inspection. But, technically you can pass with only 2/32nds in a center groove, additionally you can't have any cuts over 1 inch, bald spots, sidewall repairs or dry rot. I think generally by the time you get down to 2/32nds in the middle you've probably worn off enough outer tread to be considered a bald spot and fail anyway.

The federal regs state 2/32 on TWO major grooves. If you only have (less than) 2/32 on one major groove then it is a violation.