PDA

View Full Version : removing roots

capetan
05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
...... customer wants about 800 sq feet of small plant, brush, ivy, which are surrounded by old stumps (bush size stumps) but still have deep long roots, customer wants the area cleaned and cleared, to plant grass seed......so i clear and dig out everything 4 to 6 inches, however theres still remains of roots strands here and there, but the thing is you can pull and tug and one root pulls up another root, its just ridiculous....... then i also mulched, edged, and weeded around about another 2000 sq feet.....i charge the customer labor only 1900, very good deal right,........ so customer complains about seeing roots and some debris in the first section, and says and doesnt want to plant grass seed in that section because the ground isnt "ready for grass seed" i told him thats the best i can do, what other options are there for removing ALL roots approx over a ft deep? chemicals, different types digging equipment ? i need some help

Dreams To Designs
05-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Are the roots still connected to growing plants?

If not, they will slowly rot and add organic matter to the soil. If they are, you still have more clearing to do. Unfortunately there is no easy way to get all the roots out if the area was covered in scrub plants. You can rototill and keep cleaning the roots from the tines, dig it all up and add new soil or do the best you can and add a layer of organic matter or quality topsoil for the new seed bed.

Kirk

sheshovel
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Have to add a bunch of soil on top and roll it and seed that.

paponte
05-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Have to add a bunch of soil on top and roll it and seed that.

Ditto. Ivy is a real PITA, and theres always a chance of it coming back.