PDA

View Full Version : look what I found while mulching

SimonCX
05-19-2007, 08:26 PM
From what I found out it's ever a northern snake or northern copperhead. I came pretty close to it until I noticed it curl up and looked like it wanted to attack.

MSS Mow
05-19-2007, 08:56 PM
You should put a warning in your title saying there's a picture of a snake. Some of us can't handle even looking at pictures. :-)

bohiaa
05-19-2007, 11:01 PM
You should put a warning in your title saying there's a picture of a snake. Some of us can't handle even looking at pictures. :-)

O please..........

I get bit 3 times last week.....

snakes are everywhere wher I mow.... It's Not unuseal to have at least 5 incounters a day with them.... Just a way of life with me.....

we even have Crocks

rodfather
05-20-2007, 08:16 AM
O please..........

snakes are everywhere wher I mow.... It's Not unuseal to have at least 5 incounters a day with them.... Just a way of life with me.....

we even have Crocks

I'd move asap

MSS Mow
05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
O please..........

we even have Crocks

Better you than me! I couldn't handle that. I can admit it when I'm a wimp. I'd be running away like a little school girl if I had snake encounters like that. I certainly wouldn't be in the lawn care business.

My biggest fear where I mow is dumping my mower into the ocean at several of my lawns.

yardmanlee
05-20-2007, 10:01 AM
what is it w/ snakes this yr. ? Ive seen more this yr so far than I have in the last 5 yrs. same places i've been mowing for yrs.

GreenN'Clean
05-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I've only seen 3 this year

corey4671
05-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I shot one across the yard last week with the Warrior. Let me tell you, that thing can sling a snake!

RedMax Man
05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I shot one across the yard last week with the Warrior. Let me tell you, that thing can sling a snake!

How far?:laugh:

In april i was doing a spring cleanup and met up with a skunk! I had the backpack blower on. I don't see snakes to often, sometimes when i'm mowing.

corey4671
05-20-2007, 10:46 AM
oh it was easily a good 10 yards. He was coiled up beside a tree. I just rolled the front tire up on him and let him wiggle a little, then run him under the deck. I wish you could have heard that "THUNK" sound it made when he went through those blades. Sweet music.

cgaengineer
05-21-2007, 11:23 PM
From what I found out it's ever a northern snake or northern copperhead. I came pretty close to it until I noticed it curl up and looked like it wanted to attack.

Snakes will either move away from you or try to defend themselves by striking...leave them along and they wont bother you.

Here (http://picasaweb.google.com/1digitalcamera/CopperheadSeptember262005) is a copperhead I caught from a neighbors warm driveway a year or two ago while walking...I captured it and released it at our local state park the next day.

corey4671
05-21-2007, 11:26 PM
If i get close enough to a snake to CAPTURE it, it's dying...not being caught and released somewhere. That son of a gun is liable to follow me home! Reminds me of the John Anderson song..PRAISE THE LORD and pass me a copperhead!

dcondon
05-21-2007, 11:29 PM
I will screw up my stripes just to kill one:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

David C.
05-24-2007, 07:47 AM

I believe what you have captured on film there looks like a Rat Snake!! Down south here we'd call it a Chicken Snake, too!!

Just too long and slinder to be a Copperhead

Some poster mentioned here on the last page that he had been bitten ---- what--- 5 times in one week

Copperhead bites will land you in the hospital for an overnite "stay" --- lots of swelling and blueness around the bite site

Water Moccisin bite will do the same---maybe a tad worse

Just never know where those suckers are gonna show up!!!

frotis
05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Looks like a copper-head to me.

fargoboy
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Snake killer

Appalachian landscape
05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
That is a corn snake. 100% sure. Completely harmless rodent eater. Why in the world would an adult be scared of one of the most common pet snakes. Do you still sleep with a night light too?

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I saw a 4' black snake yesterday...... He did not like the mower very much.....

corey4671
05-25-2007, 09:34 AM
That is a corn snake. 100% sure. Completely harmless rodent eater. Why in the world would an adult be scared of one of the most common pet snakes. Do you still sleep with a night light too?

YEs I do have a nite light thank you very much. :) I don't take chances. I see a snake..it dies. As far as rodent control and a pet, plenty of cats in the world! :)

twj721
05-26-2007, 01:43 AM
I will screw up my stripes just to kill one:gunsfirin :gunsfirin
:clapping:
AMEN !!!!!BROTHER ONLY GOOD SNAKE IS A DEAD ONE IN MY MIND THAT IS would not have to be a poisonous to kill me I would die of a heart attack :laugh:

unit28
05-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I believe what you have captured on film there looks like a Rat Snake!! Down south here we'd call it a Chicken Snake, too!!

Just too long and slinder to be a Copperhead

Some poster mentioned here on the last page that he had been bitten ---- what--- 5 times in one week

Copperhead bites will land you in the hospital for an overnite "stay" --- lots of swelling and blueness around the bite site

Water Moccisin bite will do the same---maybe a tad worse

Just never know where those suckers are gonna show up!!!

water moccasin? It'll kill you deader than ponchos mexican buffet, a tad worse?:laugh:

kmann
05-26-2007, 10:37 AM

It certainly does look like a Corn snake. I have seen that type of snake down here, and asked the people at the local Zoo. (I thought it was a Copperhead).They told me we don't have Copperheads this far south in Fl and that it was a Corn snake.

LarryF
05-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Here's someone who doesn't seem to be afraid of them.

And if any of you want to raise some as pets, here's as site that shows you what to do.

http://www.geocities.com/the18_angel/dansweirdweb_snakes.html