PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Reverse Doesn't work

Supper Grassy
05-19-2007, 10:37 PM
i have a snapper 36" pro with 12.5 kohler command engine and when i put the mower in to reverse it wants to stall out on me

anyone know what is going on with it?

Supper Grassy
05-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Snapper Model # PP71251KV
Kohler Model # CV12.5T

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Un-plug the red wire down by the engine, This will isolate all the safety switches from the engine then try reverse again. When it works you have to plug it back up to shut the engine back off. You have a switch on the trans, Down on the frame for the pto and two on the pistol grips. If you have the bail there will only be one.

Use a multimeter and test the switches for opening and closing until you find the bad one.

Supper Grassy
05-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I will try this.

Supper Grassy
05-20-2007, 02:15 PM
i have disconnected the saftey and the mower still stalls when i put it in to reverse

Supper Grassy
05-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Anyone worked with this problem or has fixed it?

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Did you un-plug the RED wire leading to the engine ?

Doing this will disconnect ALL safety switches from the engine kill lead and determine if it is a engine problem or safety switch problem, Which I believe a safety switch since it moves fine forward.

Supper Grassy
05-20-2007, 07:42 PM
i disconeed the Red wire that was going to a white wire. and started the mower w/o the key in "ON"

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 08:13 PM
when i put the mower in to reverse it wants to stall out on me

As you say above, Do you mean the engine "stalls" out (shuts down) or the unit "stalls" (fails to back up) ?

Thus far the electrical system has been pretty much eliminated as the problem.

Supper Grassy
05-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Both, engine stalls and will only back up 6-12"

Restrorob
05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
With the engine off and the trans in neutral can you pull the unit backward smoothly without binding up ?

The only thing I can figure is when driving forward the top of the chain inside the trans. is pulled tight and the slack just hangs toward the lower case. When driving in reverse the chain is tight on the bottom and the slack is up top which could be binding on one of the sprockets.

In other words, It sounds like the chain is stretched and or the sprockets are worn.

That's the best I can come up with without seeing the unit up close and personal.

Supper Grassy
05-22-2007, 04:13 PM
ok. how do i know if the chain is streached

i can put uin N and pull back fine.

Restrorob
05-22-2007, 11:13 PM
You have to remove the top case half to check the chain/sprockets.

Loosen allen set screw #1 until just before it falls out, Move the shifter back and forth then back to neutral. This will push the detent ball #3 and spring #2 further into the cavity so not to drop out inside. Remove the shift lever from the shaft then all the case screws and lift the top off.

Grab chain #10 in the center and pull up a little hard to get the slack to the top then move it up and down checking deflection, If it's over 1/4" then the chain is stretched and possibly has worn sprockets.

While your in there check all gears for worn/chipped teeth and the input shaft and bearings for play by rocking the bottom drive pulley side to side.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/PeerlessTransBreak-down-1.jpg