PDA

View Full Version : Which Commercial WB for my Residential Lawn

Mooowrooon
05-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Okay, I lost out on a used ("demo") Toro 48" TurboForce walk behind gear drive last week as the dealer sold it by the time I came back to buy it (my own fault - "you snooze, you loose").

I mow about 2 1/2 acres, lots of open space but also lots of trees, a raspberry patch, and high bush blueberries. Plus the land is a bit rough (it's a farm - not an "estate"!!!) and slopes a bit so I don't think a ztr would be able to handle it. Plus, I need the exercise and enjoy walking and mowing so I'm now looking for a commercial walk behind.

I can get each of the following three walk behind mowers for around $3,000 new. Which should I buy and why?

1. Toro 48" Turbo Force, gear drive, 15 HP Kaw., T-Bar controls;
2. Exmark 48" Metro, gear drive, 15 HP Kaw., ECS controls;
(both the above are available from LOCAL dealers); or
3. BOP Quick 44", single hydro, pistol grip. (mail order)

I'm currently using a Toro 22" Recycler Personal Pace which I love but it takes too long and I'm wearing it out (it's on it's forth season on cutting my large lawn!).

It's a major upgrade for me so I'm sure I'll be happy with any of the three but any advice/recommendation(s) from the pros would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

patterson
05-20-2007, 07:13 AM
I don't know about the Quick 44 but I have a 36 that gives a spectacular cut and it fit right into my budget in the spring. Man that would be like a vacation going from the 21 to a 44 or 48!

leejp
05-20-2007, 03:47 PM
No one can ever accuse you of being lazy!!!

If I could make one suggestion it would be to go with dual hydros. I went from a belt drive to a dual hydro this year and man what a difference! So much quicker getting in and out of tight spots.

I know the quick 36 is supposed to be easy to turn but I just can't see how it can be easier than a dual hydro.

BUCKEYE MOWING
05-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I can also say that any of the QUICK 36 or 44 mowers are a great choice...not budget busters and a true commercial unit that will last a home owner forever... under $3000 for the 44 and it will leave even the roughest turf looking like a carpet..IMHO...call Gary at BOP and talk to him ...probably the only company that you can call and get the president on the phone !

BotetourtBoy3
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
i would problay go for the Toro or Exmark altho they are both the same company. altho i dont know much about the quick 36's i believe that the Exmark and Toro's are the way to go they both are great, they are mostly what you see lawn company's use. You also might want to check Husqvarna they have some nice wb's but i dont know the prices. but remember you get what you pay for

TAZ
05-24-2007, 05:58 AM
2 1/2 acres.....damn. I love my q36 but in this case I would probably lean towards the other two. I loved the ECS controls on the exmark when I demoed it but allot of people here sing the praises of the "t"bar on the toro as well. I guess it boils down to demoing both yourself and seeing which one is easier to control and feels more comfortable.

-TAZ

Harrity
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Question about the Quick 36 or 44 (or other single hydro WBs): If used with a sulky, how well can you keep it in a straight line? It seems like it is basically point and shoot (as you can't steer it if your feet are not on the ground). Do you need to make course corrections often (like when hitting a mole mound or something like that)? Or does it track fairly true.

I have no objection to walking my yard, but it would be nice to have the option to pull myself to take advantage of the ~5 mph speed available on the Quicks (or similar). But I'd have to jog behind, which might not be too bad except for the neighbors thinking I'm weird, or get a sulky.

I can visualize a sulky quite easily behind a dual hydro unit, but I wonder about a single hydro...

leejp
06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Question about the Quick 36 or 44 (or other single hydro WBs): If used with a sulky, how well can you keep it in a straight line? It seems like it is basically point and shoot (as you can't steer it if your feet are not on the ground). Do you need to make course corrections often (like when hitting a mole mound or something like that)? Or does it track fairly true.

I have no objection to walking my yard, but it would be nice to have the option to pull myself to take advantage of the ~5 mph speed available on the Quicks (or similar). But I'd have to jog behind, which might not be too bad except for the neighbors thinking I'm weird, or get a sulky.

I can visualize a sulky quite easily behind a dual hydro unit, but I wonder about a single hydro...

Also... I don't think one can put a swivel wheel on a single hydro so that mower and sulky are "one". Folks have reported here that the BOP mowers are indeed easy to turn but I would still rather have a dual hydro.

nate1422
06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
I am a homeowner and I bought a used Metro 48 2 years ago for a one acre lawn. It cuts great and I do an acre in about an hour, love the machine. I would suggest you plan for a sulky. Sometimes you just need to get the lawn mowed and walking 2.5 acres will take sometime unless you have a sulky. I usually mow in 3rd gear which is a normal walking pace, 4th if I want a workout and need to get the lawn done, and 5th is reserved for riding or you will look like an idiot. I can't comment on the quicks but good luck and I hope this helps.

sildoc
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Personally I would opt for 2 things regardless of the model you buy.
1. Hydro. wet grass and belts don't go together and are a pain.
2. for that much acreage I would definitely get a sulky. well worth the money. You will still get enough excercise.
I would opt for the quick 46 as they have made a good quality machine at a extremely low price.
Either that or opt for the exmark/toro in hydro about 2 grand more but way worth it.
I love my toro 36. 5 years old and over 3000 hrs and only maintenance performed. zero break downs to date.
Spend the money now and never buy another mower again.

Look at it this way.
New mower 6000, use it 30 years as a homeowner and put around 1500 hrs on it. Then sell it for 1000 or more. total cost to you is 5000 in the end and a lot of time saved to enjoy life, while still getting a good cut.

TAZ
06-12-2007, 09:35 AM
I am a homeowner and I bought a used Metro 48 2 years ago for a one acre lawn. It cuts great and I do an acre in about an hour, love the machine. I would suggest you plan for a sulky. Sometimes you just need to get the lawn mowed and walking 2.5 acres will take sometime unless you have a sulky. I usually mow in 3rd gear which is a normal walking pace, 4th if I want a workout and need to get the lawn done, and 5th is reserved for riding or you will look like an idiot. I can't comment on the quicks but good luck and I hope this helps.

This is good advice and was kinda what I was elluding to in my post. I love my quick but like everything else it has it's place. A comercial mower is a significant investment for a homeowner and while you may like walking 2 1/2 acres now will you in 5 years. I would be looking for something 48" minimum and sulky capable.

-TAZ

John Gamba
06-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Okay, I lost out on a used ("demo") Toro 48" TurboForce walk behind gear drive last week as the dealer sold it by the time I came back to buy it (my own fault - "you snooze, you loose").

I mow about 2 1/2 acres, lots of open space but also lots of trees, a raspberry patch, and high bush blueberries. Plus the land is a bit rough (it's a farm - not an "estate"!!!) and slopes a bit so I don't think a ztr would be able to handle it. Plus, I need the exercise and enjoy walking and mowing so I'm now looking for a commercial walk behind.

I can get each of the following three walk behind mowers for around $3,000 new. Which should I buy and why?

1. Toro 48" Turbo Force, gear drive, 15 HP Kaw., T-Bar controls;
2. Exmark 48" Metro, gear drive, 15 HP Kaw., ECS controls;
(both the above are available from LOCAL dealers); or
3. BOP Quick 44", single hydro, pistol grip. (mail order)

I'm currently using a Toro 22" Recycler Personal Pace which I love but it takes too long and I'm wearing it out (it's on it's forth season on cutting my large lawn!).

It's a major upgrade for me so I'm sure I'll be happy with any of the three but any advice/recommendation(s) from the pros would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

If you would like to cut a little faster with a nice cut, i would go with the turbo force with the t bar only(no pistol grips) you can run a sulky on that type mower.

sildoc
06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
If you would like to cut a little faster with a nice cut, i would go with the turbo force with the t bar only(no pistol grips) you can run a sulky on that type mower.

So what you are saying is you can't run a sulky/proslide with the pistol grip version?

Hmm. No one ever told my toro that.

I agree the t bar is more comfortable to run but pistol grips are fine also.

John Gamba
06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=sildoc;1861332]So what you are saying is you can't run a sulky/proslide with the pistol grip version?

QUOTE]

I did not say this:hammerhead: The T bar on a GEAR DRIVE is by far very Superior to pistol grips.

Now on a hydro toro i would get the pistol grips.

jbjb
06-12-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a Q36 and steering is great, but it does require correction on very bumpy areas. I don't think I could do my rough spots, which are also on an incline, with a sulky.

If you can afford a dual hydro, I'd recommend that route. If you're going to walk only, get the Quick-44. I'd stay away from the gear drive if you have trees, etc. ---> changing gears is a pain --> it is nice to have a throttle with a hydro (single or dual)...

Good luck.

Harrity
06-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I have a Q36 and steering is great, but it does require correction on very bumpy areas. I don't think I could do my rough spots, which are also on an incline, with a sulky.

If you can afford a dual hydro, I'd recommend that route. If you're going to walk only, get the Quick-44. I'd stay away from the gear drive if you have trees, etc. ---> changing gears is a pain --> it is nice to have a throttle with a hydro (single or dual)...

Good luck.Thanks for the reply. This is sort of what I expected. My current lawn is rather flat, though it does have bumps here and there... we'll see.

:dizzy:

sildoc
06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=sildoc;1861332]So what you are saying is you can't run a sulky/proslide with the pistol grip version?

QUOTE]

I did not say this:hammerhead: The T bar on a GEAR DRIVE is by far very Superior to pistol grips.

Now on a hydro toro i would get the pistol grips.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers I would never own a gear drive. less than a grand more and you have a hydro. over the years ease of use is more than worth it.

John Gamba
06-12-2007, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=John Gamba;1861354]

Sorry to ruffle your feathers I would never own a gear drive. less than a grand more and you have a hydro. over the years ease of use is more than worth it.

Less then a Grand:dizzy: where do you shop:) in the past there was 1500 or more difference. I do find the gear drive to be less of a hassle. the hydros are very nice in small areas.

I wish toro would just use the ECS from exmark.