PDA

View Full Version : front hub replacement

mike lane lawn care
05-20-2007, 12:13 AM
ok so i have figured out that i have a front bearing going on my truck, which i am told, is a very common problem with GMC's. However, i am told by my local auto parts store that i will have to replace the entire front hub assembly which is about $190.00. is there anyway to just replace the bearing in the hub, or do i have to bite the bullet and replace the hub?

stuffdeer
05-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow....Buy a new truck and everything goes wrong. Remind me to buy a Ford when I do buy one.

mcwlandscaping
05-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow....Buy a new truck and everything goes wrong. Remind me to buy a Ford when I do buy one.
NO MIKE.........LOL

mike lane lawn care
05-20-2007, 12:22 AM

i know, i've had some bad luck with this truck, but i did deat on it for the first two weeks. now that i've stopepd doing that, things are starting to show up from my abuse. but overall she runs like a top. i think my next truck will be a brand new one, no more used vehicles for me.

FearThisDeere
05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
With a used vehicle EVERYTHING goes wrong in the forst month or two. I have always found that if it is going to go wrong, it'll happen in the first month.

lawnboy dan
05-20-2007, 11:37 AM
another reason NOT to buy 4x4 expencive and more frequent repairs. price you pay for having to have a "macho " 4x4

mcwlandscaping
05-20-2007, 11:52 AM
another reason NOT to buy 4x4 expencive and more frequent repairs. price you pay for having to have a "macho " 4x4
Up here, a 2wd truck is worthless for the post part

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-20-2007, 12:34 PM
For the sake of simplicity just replace the whole hub. You will be trying to chase the right size diameter bearings for days. Then the hub will have to be removed and the bearings will have to be pressed out/and back in. Not to mention, just the bearings will cost you around $65...To replace the hub is very simple. Remove wheel, brake caliper, rotor, 3 bolts to remove hub, and reverse...good luck

lawnboy dan
05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
2 wheel drive trucks can do just as much work as a 4x4 -in any part of the country. 4x4 is NOT needed for a work truck!

EMJ
05-20-2007, 05:47 PM

the two wheel drive version has the same set up. you have to replace the whole assembly also, except it is more money

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
2 wheel drive trucks can do just as much work as a 4x4 -in any part of the country. 4x4 is NOT needed for a work truck!

What about snow plowing???:hammerhead:

lawnboy dan
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive do NOT use the same wheel bearing setup! if you want to plow -yes buy a 4x4 but you dont need it for lawn service or landscaping

EMJ
05-20-2007, 07:48 PM
2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive do NOT use the same wheel bearing setup! if you want to plow -yes buy a 4x4 but you dont need it for lawn service or landscaping
I think we are talking about a Chevy or GMC 1999 -2006 it is the same set-up. It is not the "exact" same. Except for the axle removal part it is the same procedure to replace the bearings and housing. the first time you get your Lawn service or landscape truck stuck you will wish you had gotten a 4x4. I have 126,000 mile on mine and have not had any problem that my buddy has not had with his 2x4. Just for the record I use and abuse my truck.

justanotherlawnguy
05-21-2007, 01:41 AM
You cannot replace just the bearings in the GM hubs, Its all one assembly. My wife has an 02 Tahoe, and I have replaced both of hers. Mine is an 02 1500hd 4x4 and I have had to replace both of mine as well.

Its just an ongoing problem with GM's. And you cannot get the assembly at Advance Auto, Around here the only place I could get them was at the Chevy dealer. $350 for the assembly.....that sucks...

lawnboy dan
05-21-2007, 03:20 PM
well my book must be wrong then it showes the 2x4 front hub as being the same old desighned used forever for the 99 chevy-gmc. if gm switched to the sealed bearing type for later models -then its just another reason to avoid gm products. also i am not likely to, get my 93 silverado 2x4 stuck driving in the urban jungle of jacksonville .

EMJ
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
You can try an online store. I believe it was a 100 dollars or so cheaper then the dealer.

DLCS
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
well my book must be wrong then it showes the 2x4 front hub as being the same old desighned used forever for the 99 chevy-gmc. if gm switched to the sealed bearing type for later models -then its just another reason to avoid gm products. also i am not likely to, get my 93 silverado 2x4 stuck driving in the urban jungle of jacksonville .

Are you looking at the NBS or the k series?

Just to let you know, most landscapers and lawn guys in the north, do plow snow in the winter. 2wd pickups are worthless for that if I lived in you neck of the woods, then yes I would drive a 4x2. So, I think the only ones that drive 4x4's for the "macho" aspect are you people living in God's waiting room.

lawnboy dan
05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
well if you are going to have a long wait-you might as well live in a enjoyable place.we work year round here and dont have to resort to snowplowing for $. yes florida is paradise

DLCS
05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
well if you are going to have a long wait-you might as well live in a enjoyable place.we work year round here and dont have to resort to snowplowing for $. yes florida is paradise

I make more money plowing snow than lawn maintenance and I only work when it snows. I love to plow snow but I don't have to, just something I look forward to. I can take the winters off in I want.:)

Petr51488
05-21-2007, 09:02 PM

It's really not new.. Its 8 years old..

KS_Grasscutter
05-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Wow.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

lawnboy dan
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
i suggest you go read the post about the guy with the 3/4 4x4 chevy -snow plow with 6.0 with 4.11 gears who is complaing about his bad mpg!

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Throw the fuel mileage out the window...... That has nothing to do with wether or not i will get stuck at the dump... i have a gooseneck Bri-mar dump trailer that is habitually loaded to over 16K, try towing that up the hill at the dump, 2 hours after it rains in a two wheeler.....:nono:

mike lane lawn care
05-23-2007, 01:01 AM
ok, so i bought the hub today from an online parts center, cost me $113.57 including shipping. i should have it in a week. and this is not just a work truck it is my daily driver. i need 4wd for the winters here, and i need 4x4 for when i go off the beaten path. or when i want to go camping or hunting. maybe down south a 4x4 isn't needed but around here it is. i was towing the trailer the other day in a rain shower, and every stop light and every corner, i lost traction because of the empty bed. i ended up puting it in auto 4wd( kinda like awd) and did not slip once the rest of the way home.

I like to engage the 4x4 whenever i am in low traction conditions, such as heavy rain with low temps, most of my friends wait until they stop moving to engage the 4wd, but i like to be proactive, not reactive.

DLCS
05-23-2007, 08:54 AM
ok, so i bought the hub today from an online parts center, cost me $113.57 including shipping. i should have it in a week. and this is not just a work truck it is my daily driver. i need 4wd for the winters here, and i need 4x4 for when i go off the beaten path. or when i want to go camping or hunting. maybe down south a 4x4 isn't needed but around here it is. i was towing the trailer the other day in a rain shower, and every stop light and every corner, i lost traction because of the empty bed. i ended up puting it in auto 4wd( kinda like awd) and did not slip once the rest of the way home.

I like to engage the 4x4 whenever i am in low traction conditions, such as heavy rain with low temps, most of my friends wait until they stop moving to engage the 4wd, but i like to be proactive, not reactive.

You don't need 4wd in wet weather, while pulling that little trailer. I don't run 4wd on mine while pulling my 18' trailer fully loaded in the rain. just slow down. You will wear those front tires out and put excessive wear on your front end running your truck that way. Auto 4wd is not like awd. All wheel drive puts 50% drive on the front axle and 50% on the back axle. Auto 4wd is still 60% power to the back axle and 40% on the front axle. Conditions must be slippery enough to allow the front tires to slip. When you hit conditions that don't allow the front tires to slip some, the truck starts binding up.

EMJ
05-23-2007, 05:08 PM
You don't need 4wd in wet weather, while pulling that little trailer. I don't run 4wd on mine while pulling my 18' trailer fully loaded in the rain. just slow down. You will wear those front tires out and put excessive wear on your front end running your truck that way. Auto 4wd is not like awd. All wheel drive puts 50% drive on the front axle and 50% on the back axle. Auto 4wd is still 60% power to the back axle and 40% on the front axle. Conditions must be slippery enough to allow the front tires to slip. When you hit conditions that don't allow the front tires to slip some, the truck starts binding up.
Just for future reference It works like this.
In 1998 Chevy introduced the Autotrac 4WD system to it's lineup. The NV246 transfercase is an electronic shift transfercase and combined with the computer system is what Chevrolet calls the Autotrac 4WD system. this system will automatically transfer power from the rear wheels to the front when any slippage is detected. The system operates transparently and can be left engaged indefinitely. It also has standard dash mounted switches that allow you to put the transfer case in 4WD High, 4WD LO, or 2WD High. So you will have no problem running this set up in the rain, or even on dry pavement.

Swampy
05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
You can plow with a 2wd granted if you have the rear end and enough ballast in the box. Will out plow 4wd.
Plow truck
94 SuperDuty, 5spd, 5:13 rear end, 9ft fisher, 800lb piece of spancrete as a fixed weight, a pallet of salt (50lb bags x 30 to a pallet = 1500lbs). I always leave the shop with a full pallet of salt.

Also I personally own a half ton 2wd Dodge is a lot of fun in the snow whipping donuts.