PDA

View Full Version : Tick Spraying?

sgoalie23
05-20-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm new to the tick spraying game and just had a few questions. First, what parts of the customer's property do you spray? Is it the areas where the turf meets wooded areas, the turf and wooded areas, and/or ornamentals? Also, as far as pricing, is by linear foot or sq ft? Last, which product have you found to work best for you? Don't forget I am in the Northeast, Connecticut.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Yes I'm licensed S-5317, B-2370.

boats47
05-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Have you tried Damminex Tick Tubes? 24 tubes will cover you for about a 1/2 acre. It uses permethrin as its active ingredient, which is the same ingredient found in tick collars and sprays. You can charge pretty high for this product as well retail for a 1/2 acre is like $80.00.

Ric
05-20-2007, 10:13 AM
sgoalie23

First a question for you, Are Ticks a true insects???

Understanding the full life cycle of the pest we want to control is the First step. I am not going to retype what you can Google and read for yourself. In short like many Pests including Ticks like Cracks and crevice to hide their eggs and themselves. Structures have a lot of hidden spots for them. I would recommend a High volume spray of low AI insecticide to reach those Cracks and Crevices and spray at least 10 if not 15 ft high on any structure. The same with trees and ornamental plants. Flooding the area down will help get those hidden places where Ticks might be. 10 gallons per thousand is what I use and I mix the AI to that calibration also.

IMHO Fleas and Ticks are not pests of Turf Grass or Trees & Plants. Therefore I feel they should be controlled by real pest control companies, not lawn boys.

olive123
05-20-2007, 10:38 AM
ditto...what ric said.:clapping:

TurfProSTL
05-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Ric, we've been mixing Astro at the high rate and applying through our Permagreen. Think we're doing any good?

Ric
05-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Ric, we've been mixing Astro at the high rate and applying through our Permagreen. Think we're doing any good?

Turf

Z Sprayers, Pernagreens and even homemade Ricagreens are great machines for spraying weeds and general Turf care. But they are like taking a knife to a gun fight when it comes to pest control. Sure you are gaining some control and hopefully you are irrigating immediately after spraying. Watering down and watering In are two different concepts just like Pest control and Turf care. But if you study the life cycle of the Tick you might realize you are not controlling all areas of their habitat with a boom sprayer. I actually have a trailer set up with skid sprayers for Pest Control applications. 95% of my work is Turf & Ornamental. However their is High Margin in Fire Ant, and Flea & Tick control, as well as a lot of competition for that type of work. The trailer is set up to spray 10 gallons per thousand and will spray a good 80 ft in the air if necessary.

One of my criticisms of this industry in general is. "Lawn boys can name every part on their mower, but don't know the name of the Grass they are cutting." By the same token "Applicators Know the Name of all the Chemicals they use and have no Idea about the Life cycle of the Pests they are trying to control and in most cases they don't know the pests name." In fact I have seen experienced Certified Operators look at Cottony Cushion Scale and call it a fungus.

TurfProSTL
05-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Higher volume sprays do make more sense.....

It is just so damned easy to tank mix the Astro with the weed mix.

Thanks for your input.

Ric
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
sgoalie23

First a question for you, Are Ticks a true insects???

Yo

I ask a Question that no one seems to want to answer. Obviously Ticks are not True Insects or I wouldn't of ask the Question. So What are They?????

Tscape
05-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Ticks are arachnids.

Markf
05-21-2007, 03:28 PM
YO?

What I read here is a shame. A fellow member is asking for advice from seasoned professionals. Calling a person a lawn boy only exacerbates the situation, not help it. I personally do not have a license for pesticides and do not apply them, but I do read the threads to learn ALL phases of the industry. Perhaps someone could actually answer the original post.

Thank you.

Mark

ampeg76
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Ticks are arachnids.

beat me to it:)

americanlawn
05-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi sgoalie23, here's what we do:

Where to spray? Spray anything that is five feet or lower. Spray the entire property (shrubs & other ornamentals, turf, under decks, etc). ticks do not fall out of trees -- they prefer tall, unkempt grasses.

Pricing for tick sprays: $3 to $6 per 1000 square feet.

Which product? We use "Crosscheck" by LESCO (many other good ones out there).

NOTE: A fine mist is better if possible cuz these critters are small, but you may have to use larger droplets/higher psi/larger nozzle to enable the product to penetrate dense vegetation in order to contact the "target pest". We like the JD-9 pistol, but on ocassion, we use a TeeJet lawn gun. It depends on the property.

sgoalie23
05-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi sgoalie23, here's what we do:

Where to spray? Spray anything that is five feet or lower. Spray the entire property (shrubs & other ornamentals, turf, under decks, etc). ticks do not fall out of trees -- they prefer tall, unkempt grasses.

Pricing for tick sprays: $3 to $6 per 1000 square feet.

Which product? We use "Crosscheck" by LESCO (many other good ones out there).

NOTE: A fine mist is better if possible cuz these critters are small, but you may have to use larger droplets/higher psi/larger nozzle to enable the product to penetrate dense vegetation in order to contact the "target pest". We like the JD-9 pistol, but on ocassion, we use a TeeJet lawn gun. It depends on the property.

Your direct answer is much appreciated. Thank you

americanlawn
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
No prob -- if in doubt.......spray the sh$t out of everything. Keep in mind that most products are short-lived.

We just ordered "Mosquito Barrier" from Gemplers.

That could also be an option. One gallon covers 5 acres. Good luck.

americanlawn
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Whatever Ric - maybe that's why you're still pulling a "trailer"??

Soft-scaled scale insects certainly are not funguses, duh?

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
05-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Spray everything. The whole yard and where the yard ends into wooded areas. Spraying the yard will greatly increase the death of any crawling insect willing to brave through treated grass. Treat ornamentals, trees etc. up a few feet at least. It is better to drench everything making sure of thorough coverage, then it is to spot spray with a higher AI. I would use a Micro-encapsulated formulation. I use Demand CS from Syngenta and most structural pest controllers do also if they want quality. I haven't heard of any Turf people using it. Maybe they cannot get it and apply it due to licensing, I don't know, but If possible, it is the best chemical I have used hands down. I recently used Onslaught around a home, (don't know label areas if turf is usable with it) I used it for springtails, it worked great, so I am going to be trying onslaught some more. I know Lawn guys like Talstar, but I think it is junk. It has never held up for me. I had a record amount of callbacks a few years ago when I was trying out talstar. I use Demand, which is labeled for turf and ornamental. It holds up better and puts up the best pest barrier on the market. I pay about $120 a quart, but it is highly concentrated. I believe 10 oz per acre is the label spec. You can use a 20 oz per acre application also for some pests. I charge a pretty penny for these applications. When doing army worms some years back I would charge an easy $300 on average for perimeter barrier treatments combined with house treatments. I would put an air tight guarantee on it because I can get rid of most problems with one treatment. That would be my selling point. Other companies were going around for $150 selling four treatments a year for ticks, etc. I would save my clients money in the long run and save them time from having so many applications.

Nathan Robinson
05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
totally disagree with ric. He knows his **** just disagree on the 10 gallons per k. Thats so diluted. We dont have time to water lawns and refil all day long when we can do it with 25% of the water he uses and get the same coverage. I would inject the trees PERIOD! Use Maujet or "my personal favorite" Treeticide. Spray everything that you fertilize as well. If you use Dylox this will kill the grubs as well as the flea and ticks. Ticks breath thriugh there back 2 legs once imbeded in skin and as an adult. They will use there front legs to get in soft bark (when laying eggs) where the injections will reach them there. This is so effective. everything else Ric said is 100% accurate.

Ric
05-25-2007, 01:43 AM
totally disagree with ric. He knows his **** just disagree on the 10 gallons per k. Thats so diluted. We dont have time to water lawns and refil all day long when we can do it with 25% of the water he uses and get the same coverage. I would inject the trees PERIOD! Use Maujet or "my personal favorite" Treeticide. Spray everything that you fertilize as well. If you use Dylox this will kill the grubs as well as the flea and ticks. Ticks breath thriugh there back 2 legs once imbeded in skin and as an adult. They will use there front legs to get in soft bark (when laying eggs) where the injections will reach them there. This is so effective. everything else Ric said is 100% accurate.

Nathan

It certainly is your right to disagree with the 10 gallons per thousand for Flea and Tick treatments. I don't do all applications at that rate. However I didn't come up with that rate for Flea & Tick treatment all by my self. It was recommended to me by a PhD in Entomology who was my college professor. I have followed that recommendation and found it to be successful.

TurfProSTL
05-25-2007, 01:55 AM
If you use Dylox this will kill the grubs as well as the flea and ticks.
Hmmm.....

Wonder why Bayer wouldn't put fleas and ticks on Dylox labels?

vegomatic40
05-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I run Tempo Ultra SC for fleas/ticks. Spray everything at a 2 gal/K rate and spray trees 6-8' up the trunk, all plant materials, decks, fences, wood piles and of course the turf. Good residual with this product. Sometimes rotate to Carbaryl on the 2nd of 3-4 apps. in case of resistance. Also have the homeowner treat the interior of the house and destroy and/or replace pet-bedding. Works well for me .

boats47
05-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe because Dylox should not be used to control flea and tick problems, unless we make up what a lable should should do for control. But, if I am reading the post right Turfpro, it was said as "matter of fact" and not that he uses Dylox for that purpose. Could be wrong.