PDA

View Full Version : re-sod question

PlatinumLandCon
05-20-2007, 08:31 AM
hi everyone,
I'm doing a re-sod job on a 30'x35' backyard and I just have a few questions. The yard as of right now is about a weed every few sq.ft. and some hopeless, very thin grass in some areas. The current soil is the $hit left by the builder (it's a 2 year old house) so I'm planning on putting about 5 cu.yd. of topsoil on (about 1.5" coverage) and then sod on top of that.
before putting the topsoil, what should I do about the current crap that's there? I was thinking of pulling most of the big weeds and then cutting the grass down to the ground and going over that. Is this what i should do?
THanks everyone
-Tom

sheshovel
05-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Harley rake it.

PlatinumLandCon
05-20-2007, 09:35 AM
i'd love to do that but I don't have the luxury of a tractor/skid steer. I'm only a high school student with a 1 man operation. Thats all I have to work with. I could rent something from Home Depot if that's necessary but that's not the desired option.

paponte
05-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Rent a rear tine tiller, then topsoil over it. You could even till in oil amendments like compost into the existing soil based on needs, then just rake it out and sod over it. Most important job is to correct whatever soil deficiencies you have before doing the sod, or you'll be back to square one. :)

PatriotLandscape
05-20-2007, 07:29 PM
spray everything with roundup a week before you start the job and then spread the loam on top of that.

PlatinumLandCon
05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
is it really necessary to till after the round-up? If I just put 2" of triple-mix and then sod on the bare ground will this be enough?