PDA

View Full Version : Redmax Trimmer Problem

WJW Lawn
05-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey guys...I have a Redmax 2600 trimmer. Seems to be losing power when I crank it...almost like its bogged down but its not. Any clue what this could be? Id take it to my dealer...but he'll take 3 yrs to fix it.

NittanyLawncare
05-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Dirty Air Filter? Clogged Fuel Line? Those would both cause a loss of power when it needs fuel and air most.

WJW Lawn
05-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Its neither of those...Im thinking bad fuel or carbon build up...Im gonna run some new mix in it...see if that does it. Maybe the carb?? If I run her full throttle...she stalls out--thats why I think carb. But the thing isnt even a year old.

NittanyLawncare
05-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Check the needles in the carb. Full throttle stalling sounds like to much gas to the engine, especially since you said it "boggs down". Could be that the needles are stuck or are opening too much.

jomowz
05-20-2007, 03:26 PM
I had the same problem... Someone in the know can drill out a plug on the carb to get to the adjustment screw. Turn the screw counterclockwise to adjust the air mixture. The reason the screw is covered is due to emissions regulations. There is no carb adjustment screw vissible right? I've seen this done & it works. They are great trimmers... just need carb adj.
Let me know how you make out...Joe

khouse
05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
change out the fuel filter inside the fuel cell to eliminate any fuel pick up issues. then we can go from there

WJW Lawn
05-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Fixed...clogged spark arrestor...popped it out...good to go.

TGM
05-20-2007, 10:05 PM
we had the same problem with two new(er) redmax trimmers at my old work..simpyl was the muffler.

check the plug too, my trimmer (not redmax) was bogging at high rpms, but it was running way too lean for emissions.

themowerman
05-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Those trimmers can clog up the mufflers and exhaust ports real fast if you run them without the line guard also.

TGM
05-21-2007, 10:00 PM
yeah, themowerman is right. too much load (too long of string) will flood the motor with fuel and wash down the ring(s) in the piston causing premature failure of the engine. if you run without the guard, make sure the rpms are still up there.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Well here goes,is the screen pulled from the muffler,take the muffler off and check for carbon buildup in the exaust port if it's there clean it don't scrap the piston wall.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
05-21-2007, 10:09 PM
The adjustment screw is in the top of the carb don't drill it, take a pick and pull it,itz plastic adjust with the idler screw.

Envy Lawn Service
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
My spark arrestors are in the ashtray of my truck.

I use my own judgement about when I need them and when I don't.
Put them on when I need them.
Talk them off, clean them and put them in the ashtray when I don't.

As for everybody here with a RedMax... I have a 2600 too.
Good trimmer.

Mine suffers from that cold natured stuff. It's hard to crank and has to warm up before reving it for work....... UNLESS I set the throttle lock and crank it that way. Then it fires on the first or second pull every time and revs high enough to go right to work, so long as you don't release the throttle lock until it is fully warm.

Just curious what other owners experiences have been?

I gotta go find that hidden screw though!
That's cool.... and the EPA is not...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
05-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Itz in the top of the carb pull the plastic out,itz very small then take a straight screw driver with a digital tach and got to town.