PDA

View Full Version : Weeds.....

d&rlawncare
05-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Is there anything else I can tell this guy...He is the manager of a store I mow..He comes out and says, "Can you drop your blades lower because in less than 2 days these weeds will be at least 6" tall again and it will look like you have never been here. I tell him I cut at 3" and if he wants to control his weeds to contact he will need to contact someone who specializes in this area. He basically wants me to scalp the lawn at 1 1/2" - 2".....

Thanks in advance...

mkroher
05-20-2007, 06:33 PM
You did the right thing by telling him to contact someone who is the business to control weeds.

If you can't convince him to hire someone to treat the weeds, looks like you'll be scalping the lawn for him.

rcreech
05-20-2007, 07:22 PM
In my opinion scalping his lawn shouldn't even be an option. He will still have weeds popping though no matter how low you cut. And his lawn will be stressed more cutting it shorter and weed pressure will increase will a shorter cut. Weed Control is the only option in my book. Hope this helps

thomsoutdoor
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
My feeling is the lower you cut the more stress on the grass which will encourage more weeds.

d&rlawncare
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks. I have told him what you guys have stated above. I have to call the regional manager Monday on another matter. I will ask him what he wants it cut at and let him no the stress this will cause on the grass. Thanks

Runner
05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Let him know that it opens it up to more light, and thus more weed germination.

americanlawn
05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
d&rlawncare --- maybe you could give this guy a "fact sheet" from an upper Midwest land grant university that explains what the above helpful members have mentioned.

Most of us here realize this guy certainly does not know about grounds maintenance. (We take care of 14 McDonald's, and one is just what you described....by mid summer, the only things green on his property are weeds)

Sounds like an educational issue. On the other hand...if you do what he wants, you will get many more mowings out of him>>problem is, once he sees what a sh$tty place he ends up with, he will probably "shop around" for next year. I hestitated calling this guy an idiot cuz that would not be nice, but I think everybody here had that thought cross their mind........

bntt68
05-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Keep in mind also your work is advertisement. If I seen a company scalping a lawn , I would never contact that company for services.