PDA

View Full Version : Scag problem.

Lksd Lawn
05-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I recently replaced my scag engine (thanks RestroRob for the wiring diagram)
I put a FH500V 17hp AS15 on it to replace the old FH500V. I "upgraded" to a electric start and now I am stumped on how to wire the electic clutch.....

The old one had the connector for the clutch coming out of the engine and you would just plug it in. The new one doesnt have it.

I contacted SCAG and they had asked me to give them the serial numbers and all that jazz and said I have to switch it over to a pull start. So I sent them everything I had and they have yet to respond to me. Its been 3 weeks now. My first email got replied in hours. Now nothing. So they are leaving me hanging here. Its a Scag Model SW248A, 5170452

Anyone know how to go about this? How can I hook up my electrical clutch now? I have the clutch plugged in but there are 2 more wires ( one looks white and the other is a faded yellow) coming of the old engine with the harness. I only have the black and green coming out of mine, besides the magneto wires that harness up to the volt.reg.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

TGM
05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
i don't know about the two extra wires, but usually a clutch simply needs a 12v source, a switch, and a ground..

i would suspect the extra wires were a safety "switch" to keep the clutch from engaging when trying to start it or not enough rpms??

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 10:12 PM
The black wire is the kill lead from the coils, The green wire is the power feed lead to the fuel cut-off solenoid and needs to be wired to the post on the ignition switch that has power in the run (on) position.

Do you have a battery mounted on the unit now ?

Lksd Lawn
05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
The black wire is the kill lead from the coils, The green wire is the power feed lead to the fuel cut-off solenoid and needs to be wired to the post on the ignition switch that has power in the run (on) position.

Do you have a battery mounted on the unit now ?

yes. I have the battery mounted on it now. I have the black hooked up and the green hooked up just like you said. It runs like a champ. I am now stumped on how to hook up the clutch. I am thinking the lines of TGMs answer but not sure. Engine wise it starts right up and moves and everything , I just cant get the clutch to run. I really didnt do much wiring on it as I wasnt sure how to wire it.

Can I run "new wires" or use the old wires for the clutch to hook it up and have it turn on? Or what is the best way? Thanks!!!

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
un-needed post.....

Lksd Lawn
05-20-2007, 10:25 PM
yes. pretty similar. It went inside the engine from somewhere.. I was suspecting it came from the magneto?

It looks pretty similar but the wires are white and pale yellow?

Lksd Lawn
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
also, it has a plug harness that plugs directly into the clutch like that with both wires black. then it has another one that would plug into the engine with the wires I described above.

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 10:32 PM
How can I hook up my electrical clutch now? I have the clutch plugged in

Sorry but I just don't follow what your saying here. Where do you have the clutch plugged in at ?

I have both Scag and Kawai wire diagrams minimized to figure why it's not working if plugged up.

Lksd Lawn
05-20-2007, 10:41 PM
sorry. I have the black plug harness plugged into the clutch like it should and the other end of that i was thinking went to the ignition switch. but I only have it plugged into the clutch is all. so the other end is "open" Hope that clears it up.

so in essence, I dont have anything to the clutch hooked up. so we could start from scratch that way.

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, Here's the handle bar harness. The PTO switch should have already been connected ? Or are you saying you dis-connected all this ?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/ScagSWZ48HandleHarness.jpg

The yellow wire from the voltage regulator supplies voltage to the PTO switch, The blue wire from the switch goes to the PTO clutch.

Lksd Lawn
06-08-2007, 09:10 PM
BUMP. Just had to bump this to say a BIG THANKS to you Restrorob!!!! YOU are the man. Didnt have time to come on earlier to say thanks as I was busy.

SO THANK YOU. Thing is up and running like never before.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!

Restrorob
06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
No Problem, Glad to here it's finally makin YOU work now instead of ME.... http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tup.gif