PDA

View Full Version : aluminum flatbed

YellowDogSVC
05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Does anyone run an aluminum flatbed? I currently run the type of bed pictured but it's heavy. I have thought about switching to aluminum to save some weight. Any thoughts?

gene gls
05-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Does anyone run an aluminum flatbed? I currently run the type of bed pictured but it's heavy. I have thought about switching to aluminum to save some weight. Any thoughts?

You won't save enough in weight to compensate for the higher price of aluminum. If you are starting out with a C+C then an aluminum body would be worth looking into. One of the guys that I subcontract with went with a custom built aluminum body this time. He likes it, it looks nice.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
For us a aluminum body is cheaper than steel. In B.C. those cheap gauge metal constructed decks are not used much. Steel flatdecks are built with structural channel. The benefits of aluminum is no rust a steel deck is constant maintenance if you live in a area where alot of road salt is used.

As for weight savings aluminum is a better choice but keep in mind it does take double amount of aluminum to equal the strength of steel. On a cheap steel deck formed 10 guage steel is used on a aluminum deck its minimum 3/8s thick for structural parts.

BSDeality
05-21-2007, 07:27 AM
I have an alum flatbed for my Toyota, I can man-handle it around on a dolly by myself and two guys can easily move it around. I went with aluminum because of the weight for the small truck. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but I will be this summer when things slow down a little.