PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Dog!!! OUCHHH!!!

bntt68
05-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Had my first encounter with a dog thurs. I am in the process of treating a customers lawn. When I get finished with the front I proceed to the gate with 4' chain link fence surrounding the backyard. Open the gate and proceed to do my perimeter lap, then square up to do my first pass with my back against the fence and WHAM! I am yanked backwards a little. Then I turn too see a huge Lab staring me eye to eye with his paws on top of the fence. Then the pain starts to set in. WOW! The owner that I am treating for sees I am in pain. He comes out and asks me what is wrong? I ask him if he could take a look at my back, just under my left shoulderblade I am bleeding pretty good. I hand him my safety spray bottle of water I carry for safety on my z-spray to wash it off . I had four punctures. I was wearing a t-shirt ,sweatshirt,windjacket and a zip up sweatshirt and still penetrated. My customer is the city code enforcement officer and was not happy. He contacted the dog owner next door ,and he came right over and apoligized. Has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them??? Brent

mkroher
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Now you can get that new truck you always wanted :)

HenryB
05-20-2007, 08:56 PM
It sucks:cry: . To me it's part of the job.I would not consider suing if I was on the dogs property unless the owner incited it or I was badly mauled. I've since learned to not give the dog my back ever. Always face them and if need be a good punch or slap. If you hold your ground appear large, loud and hostile the dog will stop. Hope you feel better.

thomsoutdoor
05-20-2007, 09:00 PM
First time I have heard of a lab biting someone.

NY911Bowhunter
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Were you duck walking?

bntt68
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
This was the neighbors dog. Not the one I was treating. I never seen the dog before that. The dogs owner is worried about his 2 month old Baby boy now.

Shades of Green LService
05-20-2007, 09:14 PM
This was the neighbors dog. Not the one I was treating. I never seen the dog before that. The dogs owner is worried about his 2 month old Baby boy now.

So what are you going to do? As Far as Legal?

Turfinator1
05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I know a kid that was badly bitten on his hands by a lab. He was sent to the hospital and had gotten many stiches. He aslo got $80,000 from the owner of the dog's home owners insurance without sueing. It was a the settlement.

mountianview
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
german shepard I gave to a lady friend ,was left in a car with open window.bite a lady who got 100,000 ? 10,000 ? from her homeowners insurance.Ive got bitten for alot less , like nothing .just raise your prices 50 %.

bntt68
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Hes actually a friend of mine. The dog was up to date on shots.

RigglePLC
05-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I got nailed (minor) by a small yappy dog last year. Kept circling around behind me. Lady customer said UPS won't stop anymore.
Doctor is required to report dog bites to county health dept.
My tetanus shots were up to date. So clean up and a couple band aids.

Grandview
05-21-2007, 06:32 AM
You have to consider rabies.

crawdad
05-21-2007, 07:51 AM
First time I have heard of a lab biting someone.

That's because it doesn't make a good headline, like a pit or rottie would.

Labs are very territorial.

Eakern & Dog
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Since you did'nt see it coming and the dog gave no warning.......it's sounds to me like the dog is or was suffering from a "fear biting " incident. You have to look at the context in which the dog bite you. Not to minimize your pain, but if you had been an intruder, the dog would be a hero rather than a nuisance. I have worked with dogs at a kennell and learned that dogs that nip the back side of someone without warning are typically exhibiting what is called fear aggression or they may have a big herding drive. Since the dog is a lab and not a herding breed, I bet he/she has a fear agressive disorder which can be helped fairly easy with training.When you go back for your next visit, try to make your arrival in the back yard next to the dog a pleasant experience for him and not a fearful one. Maybe, with the owner present, give the dog a treat when the dog is exhibiting calm and friendly behavior
With each visit, the dog will get to know you and no longer see you as a threat to his territory. Here is a link to understanding dog posture:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/CanineBody_Language.pdf?docID=6521

http://www.doggonesafe.com/dog%20communication.htm#anxiety

upidstay
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Had more than a few dogs go after me over the years. If only the kids or the lady of the house was home I'd get nervous. Dogs get funny when they have someone to protect. Only got bit a few times, nothing major. Lost a sock to a stinkin' rich lady's toy poodle. Dog just ran up and bit me, only got a mouth full of sock. Customer looked at me, looked at the dog, then at the running string trimmer in my hands and the gleam in my eye and ran over to see if I was OK. Lucky she was close or that dog was gonna get a really short haircut.

upidstay
05-21-2007, 01:55 PM
One last one...

While working as an exterminator, I went to service a new customer. Customer lived down this reeeally steep drivewey, gated at the top. Had to park my truck and walk down with a full backpack sprayer, my chem box, drill, and a measuring wheel. Ring the bell, no answer. Knock on the door, and a few seconds later, these 2 huge rotties come tearing around the corner of the house. I, uhh, shall we say got a little nervous. I'm on THEIR turf, no way I was going to outrun them up that hill. Might be able to take out one, but BOTH of them?? One stays put while the other slowly inches up to me. I'm weighing all of my options, assuming I'm about to be lunch. Both start to inch towards me, closer and closer. Then the larger of the pair drops a tennis ball at my feet and hops back like a puppy, waiting for me to throw it. We had a good time playing fetch for 1/2 an hour until the customer got home. I almost wet myself I was so scared, and they just wanted to play...

ampeg76
05-21-2007, 02:27 PM
thats a real bummer, i'm not much on trying to sue people, but maybe you just gained a new customer and he just doesn't know it yet:dancing:

the only close calls i have had over the years were due to poor salespeople not getting such vital information, read that, "do you have a maneater in the yard!"

i also start in the backyard first, so if there is a locked gate, or a cujo, i do not waste my time and product on the front!

sheshovel
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM
You bet he came right over and apologized because he is liable for that dogs damage to you and he knows it.

Greenie
05-21-2007, 07:29 PM
You can contact his home owners insurance, they'll pay a modest amount to settle, maybe $1K plus doctor bills with no lawyer. The dog's owner will then lose his home owners coverage unless he gets rid of the dog.
Once a dog bites, it should be put down because he'll do it again and again. Not many dog owners can accept that reality. As much as I love my dog, I hope that if it ever bit someone that I would have it put down.

Eakern & Dog
06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Once a dog bites, it should be put down because he'll do it again and again.

Respectively,what are you basing this opinion on ?

MnLefty
06-07-2007, 05:31 PM
No offense here, I know you're just trying to give some educational information... but really... What you're suggesting is for a guy who was bitten by a neighboring dog for no apparent reason to go out of his way with a form of psycho-therapy to make things easier on the offending dog? Positive reinforcement to help put the DOG at ease? Maybe, just maybe, the dog owner should either be there or train his dog so that the applicator can do HIS job at ease. Honestly, I'm not a dog hater or anything, but we're talking about a human being and a PET.

Since you did'nt see it coming and the dog gave no warning.......it's sounds to me like the dog is or was suffering from a "fear biting " incident. You have to look at the context in which the dog bite you. Not to minimize your pain, but if you had been an intruder, the dog would be a hero rather than a nuisance. I have worked with dogs at a kennell and learned that dogs that nip the back side of someone without warning are typically exhibiting what is called fear aggression or they may have a big herding drive. Since the dog is a lab and not a herding breed, I bet he/she has a fear agressive disorder which can be helped fairly easy with training.When you go back for your next visit, try to make your arrival in the back yard next to the dog a pleasant experience for him and not a fearful one. Maybe, with the owner present, give the dog a treat when the dog is exhibiting calm and friendly behavior
With each visit, the dog will get to know you and no longer see you as a threat to his territory. Here is a link to understanding dog posture:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/CanineBody_Language.pdf?docID=6521

http://www.doggonesafe.com/dog%20communication.htm#anxiety

americanlawn
06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
bntt68 -- Please do not take any shortcuts regarding doctor visits, and I hope your down time is minimal regarding this attack. I feel really bad for you, cuz this incident should never have happened. I often wonder why people own/neglect preditory ANIMALS like this. Small claims has a maximum you can sue for, so I suggest you contact your attorney...let him/her do the legwork for you. This is a serious situation based upon the injuries you described. I like upidstay's post regarding DOGS. I am a cat lover on purpose. I do not care for DOGS for many reasons: they attack other animals (2 of my cats were killed by DOGS). Another cat still lives after three surgeries, but does not have the use of his front left leg because 3 stray DOGS tore him open from the lower gut to his front leg-- nearly bled to DEATH. My brother was bitten in the back of the head by a DOG -- hospitalized for ten days + DOG's head was shipped to ISU for rabies check -- yes - the DOG was immediately shot by the owner. No lawn applicator I have ever known was ever bitten by a cat. DOGS have bitten many of my freinds. All of us routinely "track DOG sh$t" into our trucks, on our shoes/boots then STINK when we enter the office. I do not appreciate bringing DOG sh$t into my new Chevy Avalanche.......Then there's the annoying "barking all night" from my next door neighbor's DOG. Couple years ago, my wife took our daughter's two Shitsoos from Colorado cuz "she couldn't take care of them"??? We constantly clean up their (you know what). Then we have to "let them outside" very often (very annoying if your trying to watch a movie). Certainly wasn't my idea to adopt these high-maintence critters! This post hit a hot button here with me as I still have a 50 cal sniper rifle that I use on stray DOGS that "corner" my cats. Long post - nuf said.

bntt68
06-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Thank you for your concern American! And all!!

ampeg76
06-08-2007, 08:37 PM
bntt68 -- Please do not take any shortcuts regarding doctor visits, and I hope your down time is minimal regarding this attack. I feel really bad for you, cuz this incident should never have happened. I often wonder why people own/neglect preditory ANIMALS like this. Small claims has a maximum you can sue for, so I suggest you contact your attorney...let him/her do the legwork for you. This is a serious situation based upon the injuries you described. I like upidstay's post regarding DOGS. I am a cat lover on purpose. I do not care for DOGS for many reasons: they attack other animals (2 of my cats were killed by DOGS). Another cat still lives after three surgeries, but does not have the use of his front left leg because 3 stray DOGS tore him open from the lower gut to his front leg-- nearly bled to DEATH. My brother was bitten in the back of the head by a DOG -- hospitalized for ten days + DOG's head was shipped to ISU for rabies check -- yes - the DOG was immediately shot by the owner. No lawn applicator I have ever known was ever bitten by a cat. DOGS have bitten many of my freinds. All of us routinely "track DOG sh$t" into our trucks, on our shoes/boots then STINK when we enter the office. I do not appreciate bringing DOG sh$t into my new Chevy Avalanche.......Then there's the annoying "barking all night" from my next door neighbor's DOG. Couple years ago, my wife took our daughter's two Shitsoos from Colorado cuz "she couldn't take care of them"??? We constantly clean up their (you know what). Then we have to "let them outside" very often (very annoying if your trying to watch a movie). Certainly wasn't my idea to adopt these high-maintence critters! This post hit a hot button here with me as I still have a 50 cal sniper rifle that I use on stray DOGS that "corner" my cats. Long post - nuf said.

wow, i've had and been around dogs my whole life, most of my customers have dogs, never had one problem!

i currently have a cocker and a oreo cat:) they get along fine, no problems, even sleep together, share food bowls sometimes lol

i would like to point out that cats are predatory carnivores, dogs are omnivores

if dogs are not properly socialized you will end up with problems most of the time, a puppy kicked to the backyard, left with no love and companionship can be one tough customer down the road

my buddies cat attacked his newborn and almost took his eye out, needless to say the cat was giving away!

i like both, but prefer dogs now doubt

as far as shooting stray dogs, your anger should be aimed at the idiots that don't take care of there responsibilities as far as their pet is concerned

ok, off the soapbox

txgrassguy
06-09-2007, 07:46 AM
I really do not have any problems with dogs, particularly when spraying.
Pretty much feel that the dogs know if they attack me I'll hose em down at 250psi with the 'ol hand gun set on stream.

Eakern & Dog
06-10-2007, 09:58 AM
No offense here, I know you're just trying to give some educational information... but really... What you're suggesting is for a guy who was bitten by a neighboring dog for no apparent reason to go out of his way with a form of psycho-therapy to make things easier on the offending dog? Positive reinforcement to help put the DOG at ease? Maybe, just maybe, the dog owner should either be there or train his dog so that the applicator can do HIS job at ease. Honestly, I'm not a dog hater or anything, but we're talking about a human being and a PET

No offense taken, but Bntt68 stated in one of his succeeding posts that the dog owner was a friend of his. What I'm suggesting is that for a "friend" who was bitten by an un-familiar dog, owned by a friend, to use training, not pycho-therapy, to try and diffuse any future attacks, since it is assumed he would continue to service the account. Furthermore, the dog did not bite him for "no apparent" reason. There was a reason , even though we might not know what that reason is. It is apparent from Bntt68 post's that the dog owner knew little of his dog's behavior, which leads me to infer that the dog has had little constructive attention from it's owner.BTW, I don't think you are a dog hater for having your opinion, but a lot of dog owners leave their dogs in the back yard to linger unattended and un socialized for weeks on end. It would be in an applicators best interest to “go out of their way” to be aware that these conditions exist and be more aware of his surroundings whenever possible. I always find it ridiculous when a "dog bite post" appears on our forum, that succeeding responses are typically riddled with notions of a big legal payday or fantastical bravado tales where “Man and Machine Meet Monster Bull Mastiff” and very little attention is spent on trying to deter dog bites in the first place. Hey, it’s all in good fun to sometimes talk “tough” and wish for a cash settlement, but in reality there has to be some middle ground. Accidents happen and it would be prudent to learn from each one in an effort to stay as safe as possible

Maybe, just maybe, the dog owner should either be there or train his dog so that the applicator can do HIS job at ease.

You suggest what I similarly suggested …………only that the applicator not have any involvement in the training. What training scenario do you suggest if this applicator wants to continue to service the account as well as the friendship ?

gregory
06-10-2007, 10:12 AM

i am sure we will see you in court one day for killing dogs thats against the law.what kind of opinion is that to have on dogs they kill other animals? i guess your cats don't do that i am guessing your cats won't kill anything i am sure your cat won't kill a bird or a rabbit or a mouse so what your are saying if your cat comes into my yard and goes after one of my birds i have the right to kill it with a 50cal. you might try a pellet gun that will send a dog on his way.to have a messed up opinion about dogs is not right cats kill alot more thing i am sure then any dog has.i grew up with 3 cats they used to bring all kinds of **** home

americanlawn
06-10-2007, 05:58 PM
We have laws here regarding uncontrolled animals that harm life & property. Maybe there are exemptions where you live? (rscvp) My cats (2 at our office + 2 in our home) have only killed mice -- that's it. We also have 2 dogs (shitsoos) that only attack the "toys that we buy at Petco". I reserve my (legal) right as an American to defend my life and my property. I have 12 rounds left, and I will use the legally whenever my my life, and/or property is threatened by stray pack animals. There was no excuse whatsover as to what happened to the original poster on this site -- again, I suggest he hire an attorney, as this incident should never have happened..

gregory
06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
i agree he should hire a lawyer....don't try to take them to the cleaners but they should pay for some hosp bills and some pain ..good luck

i agree with you also if a dog or what ever is attacking your family or one of your dogs or cat i agree you have the right to defend them also.but using a 50 cal damn don't you have something smaller?

i raise and used to breed pitbulls.my dogs do not leave my house without a leash my back yard has a 6ft wood fence around it.when i walk my dogs there are always people who live around here that think b/c they have alittle dog they can run around without a leash then there dog tries to go after my dog and its my fault i don't see it that way b/c my dog was on a leash.i hope ypu never lose one of your animals that can be a hard thing to live with...

esurient_one
01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with what somebody said earlier about "standing your ground" and being prepared to smack around a dog if you have to. People arent kidding when they've said for years that those animals can smell fear...I really believe they can. Granted, there are a few dogs that this rule wouldnt apply(posters situation), but Ive found that even the toughest of dogs back down to someone standing their ground. I'll even go as far as to stomp my foot, yell, and kind of swing my arms in a downward motion all three at the same time. While Im sure it looks hilarious, it has gotten me out of some pretty sticky situations over the years...dogs stop dead in their track. And if it doesnt....as somebody else said, be prepared to punch or slap it around a little. While Im not all about beating animals or anything, you'd be surprised what a good solid punch or two can do for a dogs attitude.

fertguy2008
01-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, my first encounter involved a German Shepard (named "King"), as tall as I am, pinning me up against a gate I had just closed and "humping" me to his content. It must have been good for the dog, we were friends after that.

wooley99
01-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Sometimes it's nice when someone resurrects a 6-month old thread:)

I used to walk my dogs up to the local stop & rob every Sunday morning for the paper. On the way we'd pass a Rotty and a 'Junk-yard' dog. The Rotty would jump and bark but the Junk-yard would squeeze out/under/through the fence and come charging across the road. Yelling and waving worked but got tiresome. One day I maced him/her with the industrial size jug like Dog the Bounty Hunter carries. For the next year I'd go get the paper with the dogs and the Rotty would jump and bark. The other dog would immediately go to the back of the property and face the other way until we had gone back past on the way home. Oh, and I think the orange dye encouraged the owners to modify the fence.

humble1
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Had my first encounter with a dog thurs. I am in the process of treating a customers lawn. When I get finished with the front I proceed to the gate with 4' chain link fence surrounding the backyard. Open the gate and proceed to do my perimeter lap, then square up to do my first pass with my back against the fence and WHAM! I am yanked backwards a little. Then I turn too see a huge Lab staring me eye to eye with his paws on top of the fence. Then the pain starts to set in. WOW! The owner that I am treating for sees I am in pain. He comes out and asks me what is wrong? I ask him if he could take a look at my back, just under my left shoulderblade I am bleeding pretty good. I hand him my safety spray bottle of water I carry for safety on my z-spray to wash it off . I had four punctures. I was wearing a t-shirt ,sweatshirt,windjacket and a zip up sweatshirt and still penetrated. My customer is the city code enforcement officer and was not happy. He contacted the dog owner next door ,and he came right over and apoligized. Has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them??? Brent

First you should go to the hospital get checked out, and make sure the dogs shots are up to date, get it in writting from their vet.
Well also think you have an obligation to report the dog to the police dept if there are any kids around. you would feel pretty bad if the dog mauled a kid someday because you didnt report it. As far as litigation did you really get hurt, are you tramatized. If so it might be worth something, one of my customers is a partner of these big time firms multi million dollar suits etc. He said once to me, that people shouldnt feel bad about suing insurance companies, you can either get the money or leave it on the table so the big exec gets his 150 million dollar bonus at the end of the year.

I personally have never been faced with having to sue anyone other than sueing my deadbeats.

Greenie
02-01-2008, 03:59 AM
In many states if you go in for treatment of a dog bite the police are notified as a matter of law.

jdmcat
02-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Well, my first encounter involved a German Shepard (named "King"), as tall as I am, pinning me up against a gate I had just closed and "humping" me to his content. It must have been good for the dog, we were friends after that.

that is hilarious

fertguy2008
02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
that is hilarious

Glad I could add a little laughter to your day:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ArizPestWeed
02-01-2008, 10:30 PM
1.5 years ago , i was attacked by a rottie ,
i rent a home to a cop, his dog was out running around playing , just ran up to me and grabbed onto my arm and clamped down hard .
Luckily , i was wearing 2 long sleeve shirts , man it hurt , broke skin , i was lucky no major arteries were hit .

1 hour later the captian of the sheriff's dept called to se how I was doing if i needed anything , they were worried , my cop renter put the dog down the very next day .