PDA

View Full Version : Who wears rings while working ?

JB1
05-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Thursday night got involved helping a friend unload a semi trailer of restaurant equipment, I had a skid steer with forks so thats what we got it out with. There was six of us working, one guy climbed in the back of the trailer to help the other two put a heavy piece on a pallet, when he was climbing down he had one hand on the hand grip on the skid steer and the other hand on the foot step on the forks. On the way down he kind of jerked then when he was on the ground he was holding his hand and showing me, his ring finger got caught on the foot step and ripped all but off, only thing holding it was a little skin and cartilage. They took him to the hospital cleaned it up then took him to a Louisville hospital for hand treatment, they kept him over nite and had surgery on Friday, they was not able to save the finger. I have always heard about people losing fingers by rings getting caught on something, pretty scary. Thats the reason I don't wear my wedding ring. Think about that, it don't take but a split second for your hand to get caught, pretty scary, plus painful.

newtex
05-20-2007, 10:58 PM
It happened two years ago while he was hopping a fence at work. His ring got caught in the chain link at the top and when he came down the finger was still up in the fence. He climbed back up there to get his finger and then drove himself to the hospital. There was nothing the doctor could do to save it.

MSS Mow
05-20-2007, 11:06 PM
My uncle lost a finger back in college playing basketball. Caught his ring on the hoop, and the rest is history. Now he's one short. We always laugh and say "give me four" when at a ballgame or any celebration. He's a good sport.

richallseasons
05-20-2007, 11:12 PM
You all have heard the stories and some of us know people that have lost a finger due to a ring getting caught on something,I myself think about it almost every day on the job but never take my wedding band off. I do wear gloves as much as possable but I think deep down that I would be more upset about losing my wedding ring than my finger....I cant be the only one.

Grits
05-20-2007, 11:23 PM
If I wasn't to wear my wedding ring, the consequences would be much worse than a missing finger!:realmad:

LindblomRJ
05-20-2007, 11:23 PM
I hardly take off my wedding band. If I am working on equipment or vehicles I tend to take it off, but not always. I really have not had any close calls. I might have to watch that more.

When I do take the ring off my wife is usually pretty understanding about it. She does ask I have done with it. If I feel like testing the waters I reply "I don't know."

TN Property Services
05-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Depends on what I am doing.
I have a lock box in my toolbox I stick it in when I'm working around the house. (dont really lock it, its just a safe place that I know where it is)

At work @ the firehouse or when I am out mowing, it stays in the truck. I have it on enough though, its obvious by the tan line that I am married.
Wife is a full time Paramedic for local ambulance service, she does the same as me so she understands.

rodfather
05-21-2007, 06:56 AM
No rings, watches, etc., what so over...too dangerous.

sheshovel
05-21-2007, 07:04 AM
No rings or any jewelry at all.

JTF40
05-21-2007, 07:08 AM
After 19 years of marriage, I can't EVER remember removing my wedding band for any reason. :usflag:

MarcSmith
05-21-2007, 07:32 AM
i'm going on ten years of marriage this year, and the only way to get the ring off is to cut it...

Wearing gloves around some equipment can actually be more dangerous than not wearing gloves

prosperity
05-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Had a close call myself quite a few years back when climbing off a dump truck, and missed a step with my foot.
Between my own scare, and seeing it actually happen, I will not wear any jewelry at all.
My wife understands, and trusts me.

mowingtowing
05-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I don't wear my wedding band when working with or working on any kind of machinery. Ive had my ring tug on my finger one two many times to make me keep taking the risk. I do however wear a rubber 0-ring in place of the ring. It will break if caught and wont conduct electricity. Looks kind of weird and is a conversation starter, but it attempts to show that I am married, proudly.
Of course when my better half and I go out, I wear my real ring.

Mark in MD
05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I heard about this parachutist who jumped out of a plane. As he leapt out, his ring caught on something, then he was gone. Left stuck and blowing in the doorway was his finger, followed by a nearly three foot long bloody tendon.

fargoboy
05-21-2007, 02:50 PM
pried it off the door myself but it was only one and half feet

johnnywill08
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
the only wy my ring comes off is if my finger still attched to it, just ask my wife!

hamsey
05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Only time I wear my ring is when we go out.

Norm

johnwon
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
They can turn cherry red if it happens to short out while working on something with battery still hooked up as well as a metal watch band.

bobcat175
05-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I never wear watch or ring while working....I've seen pics of what could happen and it isn't pretty...if your wife saw pics she'd understand real quick.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
No rings or any other items. Wifey completely understands. However, if I forget to put it on when we go out I will face severe consequences.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I wear mine most of the time, but I didnt get mine tight fitting. It fits loosly so if it were to get caught, my finger would just slip out of it rather than take it off.

unit28
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
I wear mine because of health issues.

It keeps me alive

cgaengineer
05-21-2007, 11:12 PM
They can turn cherry red if it happens to short out while working on something with battery still hooked up as well as a metal watch band.

When I was in the automotive business this is exactly why I didnt wear mine...I can just see myself with a cherry red ring, burning my other fingers trying to free the hot coil of gold from other hand!! I have crossed a few hand tools across the hot side of a battery or another point of positive voltage enough to know to take the ring off when working around wires.

JB1
05-21-2007, 11:12 PM
this guy that lost his finger the other night, his wife wishes he wasn't wearing his ring now.

Prestige-Lawncare
05-21-2007, 11:15 PM
No ring or watch for me. I quit wearing a ring while working, years ago. I always thought I would be lost without a watch ... and then one day it started bugging me really bad ... and that was the end of my watch wearing days too!

Don't need the Bling while running my machine!

cgaengineer
05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I wear mine because of health issues.

It keeps me alive

My first wedding band was crushed...not by any accident or mishap...by my beloved wife...we got into an argument and she squashed it flat (With a chair leg and her sitting in the chair) on 4 sides turning it into a square (Thank god my finger was not in the ring at the time)...now it will only fit if my finger was 4 sided...We are still married to this day and just celebrated our 10th anniversary, and 13 years total putting up with each others BS.

youcallwemow
05-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Got the ring finger smashed in a hydralic vise in a steel mill while operating a large metal HEM band saw. Crushed the ring knuckle twice and now there is no ring to fit over the enlarged knuckle....so, no rings, watches, necklaces, ponytails or unbuttoned long sleeves.....safety glasses, gloves, etc..gotta have 'em....

KTO Enterprises
05-22-2007, 02:36 AM
After 19 years of marriage, I can't EVER remember removing my wedding band for any reason. :usflag:

I sure hope you never get an electric shock while working. My father is in the automotive repair business and will not allow anyone working for him to wear any jewelry while working. There are several people in the industry that i know of who had a piece of jewelry come in contact with something electrical on a car and it fried every piece of jewelry into their skin, and they now have the scars on their fingers, wrists and necks to prove it.

"Wear no watches or jewelry while working around batteries. Large lead-acid batteries can supply enough current to turn a bracelet, watchband or ring white hot instantly upon contact. Many people are critically burned each year by just a momentary contact of their metal watchband or other jewelry across the 12-volt battery under the hood of their car. If that isn't a good reason not to wear jewelry around batteries, the acid in and on a battery may attack and discolor your jewelry. So play it safe and take it off!"

That quote was taken from this website
http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/elect_info.html

Envy Lawn Service
05-22-2007, 03:12 AM
Glad about this thread because it reminded me to take mine back off.

Myself, I never got into the habit of wearing jewelry to work.

But during my first marriage, I did try it for a while. Wore them enough to wear them down on the underside. But then a few close calls came along and put an end to that.

When I got remarried, I wasn't doing as much outside and did wear my ring all the time unless I knew I was going to do something bad. It's a nice ring, so good excuse to take it off. Kept doing it until I bent it a bit doing something with my finger in it. That ended it.

Then it got to where I would wear it when not working. But then it seemed like I developed an allergy to it. It would BURN a ring on my finger after wearing it my day off. So that ended that.

Only would wear it on special occasions, and it got where I couldn't stand it, and finally to where I'd never even remember it. But I did put it on Friday and wear it all weekend and get used to it. Didn't bother my skin for some reason this time.

My wife doesn't like the whole thing much, but has gotten over it to a large degree... but does still get mad if I forget it for going out or a special occasion. But sorry, it's not part of my routine anymore and I WILL forget it more often than not.

The funny part about some of your wives is, they don't realize single guys go out and buy themselves a wedding band for picking up chicks... LOL.

Funny stuff.

MarcSmith
05-22-2007, 07:46 AM
I wear mine most of the time, but I didnt get mine tight fitting. It fits loosly so if it were to get caught, my finger would just slip out of it rather than take it off.

itmust be real loose, in most cases when the ring gets hung on stuff it gets caught and then it get pulled off at a crooked angle, which is why the skin and such get cut and pulled of.

If the ring is that loose, Id worry more about it falling off and facingthe wrath of woman as a result of losing the ring...

I guess to protect your fingers you could always let this happen...

GLLawns
05-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Mine comes off before I leave and goes back on when done. I learned my lesson when I was unloading a pallet of Pepsi off of a truck about ten years ago. When backing the pallet off the trailer the electric pallet jack decided to go forward instead of back, and guess what my ring got caught on the jack handle. I was wearing gloves and it still snagged it. My finger almost came off, but even worse the sudden forward movement ripped my elbow apart. Ended up with a finger the size of my thumb and major surgery to rebuild my elbow, nerves, and muscles. Never again will I wear jewelry while working, wife understands but if she didn't then I'd say piss off.

RICHIE K
05-23-2007, 07:21 AM
No rings at all