PDA

View Full Version : Arborvite Pricing

BillyRgn
05-20-2007, 09:36 PM
So i really think i am losing my mind here, i have always charged at least the price of the tree to plant it, usually double the price of it. i just bid a job to put in 16 arborvitae's about 4-5 feet tall, the price of the tree was around $50, the customer already paid for the trees, all i had to do was pick them up at the nursery and plant them. i was a little slow at the time so i said about $1,300.00 to pick up the already paid for shrubs and plant the 16 of them, well the guy laughed and said the other 2 prices he got were only about 50-60% of the plant for labor, that means those guys are planting 50 dollar shrubs for 25 or 30 bucks? any ideas becuase i have to submit bid today for 42 six to seven foot arborvitae's and have no idea what to charge for labor, i can get the tree's for about $60 a piece.

Ric3077
05-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Alot of people do teh double the plant thing...I don't it doesn't make sense. What if you buy a $175 jap maple that is in a 3 gallon container...are you going to charge another $175 to plant something that takes 5 minutes to do? I charge by the container size...1 gallon is about $10 for labor (will take me less than a minute to dig the hole, and plant the shrub with a loam,cow manure, and peat moss mixture), 3 gallon is $25 for labor, and so on. Balled and burlapped trees are of course more, it just depends on the size of the ball. I also have a minimum charge...so no customers can just say I want one 1 gallon shrub planted...

gene gls
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
So i really think i am losing my mind here, i have always charged at least the price of the tree to plant it, usually double the price of it. i just bid a job to put in 16 arborvitae's about 4-5 feet tall, the price of the tree was around $50, the customer already paid for the trees, all i had to do was pick them up at the nursery and plant them. i was a little slow at the time so i said about $1,300.00 to pick up the already paid for shrubs and plant the 16 of them, well the guy laughed and said the other 2 prices he got were only about 50-60% of the plant for labor, that means those guys are planting 50 dollar shrubs for 25 or 30 bucks? any ideas becuase i have to submit bid today for 42 six to seven foot arborvitae's and have no idea what to charge for labor, i can get the tree's for about $60 a piece.

The price all depends on what equipment you will be using. Arborvitae's in the 6-7' range are ball busters with out the proper equipment. With that many to plant you better be mechanized.

BillyRgn
05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
The price all depends on what equipment you will be using. Arborvitae's in the 6-7' range are ball busters with out the proper equipment. With that many to plant you better be mechanized.
i will be using my yanmar excavator about a 8,000lb machine and also if i really needed it but i doubt it i can use my new holland 170 skid steer

BillyRgn
05-21-2007, 10:38 PM
anyone out there to offer a little help ??

Ric3077
05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
you should be able to plant 16 4 foot arborvitaes in 3-5 man hours depending on the soil...I would charge $60 to pick up the arborvitaes and $480 to plant them...$540 total. I am assuming these are in containers...it will take a bit longer if they are balled and burlapped (cutting the string etc)...your price of $1300 is about right if it includes the aborvitaes...but you said it doesn't...seems way high to me. That's almost $100 just to plant something that takes 10-15 minutes.

I would charge $90/each for the job with 42 arborvitaes...$3780 that is assuming the trees are no more than $60 including tax....I am in hte midwest though...you should be able to get at least $100 each installed up there...