PDA

View Full Version : mower problems

nickslawn
05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I just bought a used snapper rear engine rider. serial number 05010101 . I have put sea foam in the gas but it still does not run smooth. I also realized that the gas tank dumps gas into carb when not running. I have just lost 1.5 gals of gas in the last hour. I know I need a gas cut off on there. What do I need to do with the engine to get it running smooth. It is a 8hp briggs 30" cut. *trucewhiteflag* Its just about to make me give up on the purchase and keep killing myself with the push mower.

All help and suggestion are welcome. Thanks in Advanced.

Chop Stuff Up
05-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Clean the carb out, you may have to get a new carb or a rebuild kit tho.

Envy Lawn Service
05-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Clean the carb out, you may have to get a new carb or a rebuild kit tho.

Yup... sounds like something is stopping the carb from sealing off closed.
Could be trash or worn out parts.

What happens is the fuel just keeps flowing out of the tank and into the engine.
It floods, so there is no wonder it runs rough.
The plug is probably fouled.

Another thing you can check is the gas tank itself.
Is it building a lot of pressure inside?

nickslawn
05-20-2007, 11:37 PM
No tank is not building pressure the air vale is missing so its just direct air flow. So you think that I would need to by some carb cleaner and give it a good cleaning.

Restrorob
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
So you think that I would need to by some carb cleaner and give it a good cleaning.

Yep, And replace the float needle valve while your in there and while your picking that stuff up get a new gas cap for the tank to keep trash/water out.

Everyone swears how great that seafoam stuff is, But unless it dissolves trash it's a half azz fix.

Envy Lawn Service
05-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Yep, And replace the float needle valve while your in there and while your picking that stuff up get a new gas cap for the tank to keep trash/water out.

Everyone swears how great that seafoam stuff is, But unless it dissolves trash it's a half azz fix.

Yep, that is EXACTLY what I would do.

I've had them before to leak at the needle valve with the engine in just the right position, and totally fill the combustion chamber with gas. So when I went to crank it, it was fluid locked. At first you panic thinking the engine locked up... LOL. Had it happen on mowers and 2 cycle stuff. So now, when one won't turn over, the first thing I do is remove the plug and then see if I can ease it over. Blows the gas right out... LOL.

Anyways, about the seafoam... I hear the same thing. People sure make it sound like a good fuel treatment for cleaning up an engine. I've never tried it myself.