PDA

View Full Version : What and Where Can a Homeowner Buy Effective Stuff?

smeltjr
05-20-2007, 09:41 PM
OK. I'm in Chicagoland and none of the regular Joe places sell stuff that works. Namely on weeds and more specifically on clover or violet. I understand that these are tough to kill and I, of course have no license but this is my own yard.

I bought some speedzone at a local Farm & Fleet 2 yrs ago got most of the clover, but I probably hit the violet at the wrong time of year. They no longer have it and mine is gone. This stuff drives me crazy. I see posts on speedzone, quicksilver, drive(?), and coolpower. Can a non-licensed homeowner buy this stuff on a consumer level and where? If not, what is the best that I can do? Thanks.

indyturf
05-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Check for a Lesco in your area, they will sell to homeowners too! timing is everything when it comes to weed-control. now and again in sept-oct are the best times, also mix a little dish soap and it will help the herbicide work better.

RigglePLC
05-21-2007, 07:23 AM
keep shopping--products that contain Speedzone are out there--the chemical name is carfentrazone. And there is a similar product called sulfentrazone. Look for the non-Ortho competing products at bigger garden stores, High-Yield brand maybe. Ferti-lome maybe. No guarantees on violets--sorry. For violets also try Ortho "Chickweed and clover killer" with triclopyr. This makes me angry when homeowners can buy everything we can buy.

Lesco has the pure product but it costs about a hundred dolars for 8 ounces.

upidstay
05-21-2007, 01:59 PM
A gallon of Lesco 3way ester 2 will cost around $70 and should take out any weed you have. It will make clost to 100 gallons of finished spray. It will take out violets eventually, but will require repeated applications.

Greenie
05-21-2007, 07:34 PM
This makes me angry when homeowners can buy everything we can buy.

Homeowners can do their own plumbing and wiring without licenses - it's one of the benefits of property rights that we're still allowed to enjoy.

smeltjr
05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Thank you for the help. Will let you know how it goes. There is a Lesco close to work. Is the Lesco fertilizer at the infamous HD store the same as in the shops?

chimmygew
05-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Try UAP Richter. They are a lot cheaper than lesco and carry good stuff.

http://www.uap.com/uap/

LarryF
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
This makes me angry when homeowners can buy everything we can buy.

Homeowners can do their own plumbing and wiring without licenses - it's one of the benefits of property rights that we're still allowed to enjoy.

BUT, we homeowners have to pay more than the pros when we buy from Lesco, and that kind of makes me angry too. By the way, I'm old enough to remember when homeowners weren't allowed to buy plumbing supplies. That changed sometime after WWII. Prior to that hardware stores where I grew up didn't carry very much and plumbing-supply stores would not sell to anyone unlicensed. The explanation I recall was that it was a safety issue, and no one ever advised me to complain about a violation of property rights.

Ric
05-22-2007, 04:13 PM
smeltjr

Since no one else has said it I will. BTW Most older Lawnsite members will tell you my words are not always kind as a general rule.

It is not WHAT you use but HOW you use it. You have had many suggestion of where what to buy GUP (General Use Products). Are you any more knowledgeable of How, When or Where to apply those products????? My customers often ask me what I am using and I tell them an insect and Fertilizer. or Weed control. 99% of the time that is all they want to know. But if they ask further I tell them, You are paying me for what I Know not what I Use. Watch your self because I have seen more than one homeowner (and """Professional) kill a lawn.

sprayboy
05-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Well said Ric.

smeltjr
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Ric,
Comments are well respected and there is nothing at all harsh about telling the TRUTH if the intent is not condescending or demeaning-don't go changing. There is a reason why people are professionals, and even more, why finding a good one in any field can be a challenge. You sound like you know your business, and that knowledge and experience breeds a successful business.

Over time and through experience, I have learned not to:
-Start vast projects with half-vast ideas.
and not to be:
-Penny wise and pound foolish.

We all learn from experience. I've had my share of doing both of the above. I have a good feel when I'm in over my head. In the case above, most of this violet is isolated in two areas in a large yard. If I were to kill everything in the violet area by sheer ignorance, worst that would happen is the whole area would die and I could reseed-I've done that with a large area of the lawn successfully. My yard is in very good shape but for this, and I enjoy working out there so I really do not want to hire a lawn care service. I also do not think that I could contract someone to do only some specific weed killing without contracting full service over time. I'll give it a shot and if I screw it up that badly, time to call someone who can fix what I did and it will be my loss and lesson learned.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks.