PDA

View Full Version : Fert reccomendation for high ph and low P and K?

Shady Brook
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I have access to a Lesco store, and am looking for suggestions on products I might obtain for them that would help some of my trouble lawns. I am finding in particular area ph's around 7.7 to 7.9. These all have low P and K. I am finding some as low as 7 lb's per acre of P and base saturation levels of 1.4 of K. I don't know if I should look at Sulphate of Potash in large quantities now, or Amonium Sulphate. I know there is no quick fix, but want to bring things around. I was thinking of using some starter fertilizer on these lawns to see how that worked.

Another question I have is, one one test it shows 245 lb's of K per Acre which is fine, but the base saturation is 1.4 which is quite low. Can someone explain how this is? Is it due to the high ph of 7.9? Most lawns are cool season mix, or straight Ky Blue.

Thanks for your help fellas.

NattyLawn
05-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I would forget fert and apply sulfur at 10-20lbs. per k to lower ph. How are the sulfur levels from the soil tests?

I'm not so sure about the K, but high pH is definitely going to lock up some nutrients. Were calcium levels on these lawns off the charts as well?

Shady Brook
05-21-2007, 08:53 PM
The Calcium levels were pretty consistent in the low to mid 80% range with 6000 -7500 lb's of Ca per acre. Mag was in the mid teens percentage wise with 700 to 800 lb's per acre. My tests did not indicate sulfur quantities.