PDA

View Full Version : Dish soap or laundry detergent?

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
05-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I have bought nu-film and used it but it gunks up my sprayers like crazy. Is dish soap as good? Also wouldn't a laundry detergent be a better adjuvent than dish soap because it wouldn't bubble as much?

tremor
05-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Try an organosilicone surfactant. Valley Green Organosilicone or Helena's Silwet L77 are awseome especially for low volume machine like the PermaGreen. No gunking & much better results than detergents or"spreader stickers" that contain drying agents.

RigglePLC
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
What kind of equipment? When you say it gunks up the machine--do you mean it plugs screeens--or too much foam? If foam is the problem--like with my Permagreen--then buy an antifoam product--it really works. The silicone based wetting agents like Lesco Hawkeye (About $65 for half gallon) really work--you need only about 10 percent as much.

turfsolutions
05-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I like Palmolive.

RigglePLC
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Tremor,
what do you think about Lesco Hawkeye silicone wetting agent? Cost is actually about $48 per half gallon.

I think the label must be wrong--it recommends 25 to 64 ounces per hundred gallons. Far more than comparable products like Sil-wet. About 5 times too much. Cost would be about $18 to $48 per hundred gallons. Way above the cost of the weed killer.

I do not use it in Permagreen, too much foam.

tremor
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
With the exception of a scent additive, Hawkeye, Silwet & our Valley Green OS are all exactly the same product.

We sell the 1 gallon jug for less than $48. $96/gal is insane. When we first introduced Hawkeye (I worked for Lesco for 17 years) I was excited by the performance. You should see the results of Eagle+Organosilicone for Apple Scab! But the price...Ugh.

Send me your real email address & I'll send you a copy of the specimen label. I don't have it hosted on the www yet so no link.

From our label:

VALLEY GREEN ORGANOSILICONE BLEND may be used in aqueous tank mix applications for these uses as follows:
• Herbicides – use product at 0.25 to 0.5% v/v mixing concentration.

From the Silwet L-77 label:

SILWET® L-77 SURFACTANT has been found to be effective in agricultural
applications at .025 to 0.25% v/v concentration. <Strange range there -SJ>

From the Hawkeye label:

LESCO HAWKEYE may be used in aqueous tank mix applications for these uses as follows:
§ Herbicides – use LESCO HAWKEYE at .3% to .5% v/v mixing concentration.

Aside from Hawkeye, .25% v/v = 32 oz per 100 gallons.

So the recommended rates are about the same for all three. I feel that 32 oz is overkill unless you're dealing with a glyphosate resistant crop weed. Selective herbicide mixes for turf wouldn't require this much to be effective.

RigglePLC
05-22-2007, 09:35 PM
No need for a label. I have 2.5 gal of "Improv" left over from last year. After that I usually buy Capsil from Scotts, at a local dealer.

But the full rate is too expensive in a high volume water plus fertilizer plus weed killer mix. I use 3 gal per 1000 sqft.

teeca
05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
try pent-a-bark, its $$ but it kicks serious a$$. best i've ever used. goes about 25% less priduct then other surfactants. as far as using dish/laundry soap??? i haven't seen it labled for t&o yet.