PDA

View Full Version : My truck is a friggin gas hog!!!!!

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Okay, I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 LS reg.cab long bed 4x4, 6.0 V8 cast iron heads, 4L80E trans and 4.10 gears. I say that because the 6.0's are mostly all aluminum, I just got the rare one I guess. The truck has 95k on the clock and a new trans with only 7k on it. I dont have a lead foot and the tire size is 265/75R16. Brakes are new, etc. I dont tow a big trailer at all, 6.5ftx10ft which weighs 880 lbs. I only have my weedwacker, edger, mower and lawn boy on it. I get maybe 5-7 mpg towing the trailer and maybe 8-10mpg with out. Mind you the plow frame is off, etc so it is a bare truck. I keep up on ALL maintenance, just did oil change, and new air filter. What I dont get is it got 14 mpg in the winter with 600-800 lbs of salt in it, the plow, tools, in 4x4, pushing snow. Now bare bones truck gets worse mileage. I dont get it. What is making this thing suck the gas down so friggin bad?? It has a slight leak in the exhaust gasket on the manifold, but it was like that in the winter. I wouldnt think that would cause it to be such a hog. Any help or ideas or anything would be appreciated. And NO I am not gonna get a new truck either.

twj721
05-21-2007, 10:37 PM
When was the last time it had a major tune up ? might be time for plugs and all the other stuff that goes with a major tune up

05-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Did that a month ago. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc

buddhaman
05-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Don't measure by mileage, go by the foot. Much higher number.

POPO4995
05-21-2007, 11:50 PM
My 2001 Dodge 1500 360 V-8 w/ 40000 miles on it got 3 mpg plowing snow and about 8mpg pulling trailers.:cry:

Bill Kapaun
05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Do you have a locking gas cap?

qualitylawnmanagement
05-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Okay, I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 LS reg.cab long bed 4x4, 6.0 V8 cast iron heads, 4L80E trans and 4.10 gears. I say that because the 6.0's are mostly all aluminum, I just got the rare one I guess. The truck has 95k on the clock and a new trans with only 7k on it. I dont have a lead foot and the tire size is 265/75R16. Brakes are new, etc. I dont tow a big trailer at all, 6.5ftx10ft which weighs 880 lbs. I only have my weedwacker, edger, mower and lawn boy on it. I get maybe 5-7 mpg towing the trailer and maybe 8-10mpg with out. Mind you the plow frame is off, etc so it is a bare truck. I keep up on ALL maintenance, just did oil change, and new air filter. What I dont get is it got 14 mpg in the winter with 600-800 lbs of salt in it, the plow, tools, in 4x4, pushing snow. Now bare bones truck gets worse mileage. I dont get it. What is making this thing suck the gas down so frigging bad?? It has a slight leak in the exhaust gasket on the manifold, but it was like that in the winter. I wouldn't think that would cause it to be such a hog. Any help or ideas or anything would be appreciated. And NO I am not gonna get a new truck either.

Man thats is pretty bad good thing I didn't almost buy a 2500hd with the 6.0 in. My 2001 f-250 4x4 with the 6.8 v10 gets 12.5mpg around town and 9 to 10 hauling the trailer, and I thought my truck was getting back gas mileage.

scholzee
05-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Ever have the Check engine light come on ? May want to get it scanned for codes, it could show something marginal and not turn the light on. O2 sensors do not last for ever, a compitrnt mechanic can evaluate them, they do degrade over time and are one major component in determining air / fuel ratio. Those 4.10 gears certainly do not help much in the mileage area. Also could jack each wheel off the ground to spin them and check for any brakes that may be dragging.

05-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks alot guys!!!:waving: Yeah it is pretty bad, but I guess I will have to deal with it. Scholzee, the light came on once a few months ago, but never since. I will have to take it down and have it scanned for codes. I hope it is only one o2 sensor if thats the problem, because there are 4 of them and 100bucks a piece:cry:

lawnboy dan
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
the combo of heavy weight and low gears and extra friction of 4x4 all are adding up to = poor gas milage. my 10mpg dosnt sound so bad now

knothead
05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
magnaflow muffler,k&n air filter!Gave me 3 more miles per gallon on a Hemi!Payed for their selves in the first month!:cool2:

meador56
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Have your catalytic converter ckecked quickly.

FearThisDeere
05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow, that's pretty low. I got 15.3 on an all highway trip the other day! Sorry, I just had to say it lol.

05-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Have your catalytic converter ckecked quickly.
They should be ok, new exhaust last year including cats (has 2 of them)

Wow, that's pretty low. I got 15.3 on an all highway trip the other day! Sorry, I just had to say it lol.
I know, it is horrible!!! Now that gas just shot up to 3.59 a gallon:dizzy: I see a diesel in my future

TWUllc
05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Something is obviously wrong. Check for codes.

AndyTblc
05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I think diesel is the better way to go. My aunt and uncle have a 2006 chevy 3500 2x4 diesel. And they get 20 mpg, and 11 towing their 42 foot 5th wheel. And for a 1 ton truck, that is pretty good.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
4.10 gears is your first problem. Check for any codes. How does the truck run?

05-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, the truck runs like a champ, no idle problems or anything. I know 4.10's arent the greatest when it comes to mpg, but I like having them for the torque, etc. I took my truck to day to get some codes scanned, but they couldnt get a signal from the port. So I got nothing, and no service lights on either. I think it needs the airflow opened up some, like a flowmaster and a good highflow intake. Help that thing breathe a little better

xcopterdoc
05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
All things aside. make, model, engine size ect, don't mean squat. What you have is a noticeable decrease is fuel mileage. PERIOD! Everyone always throws in the Chevy deal or the gear deal... whatever. You WERE getting better mileage, so why not now. Well let's look at THAT problem.
First off, your tune up of new plugs and wires may have done you more harm than good if they weren't OEM wires and plugs. In this day and age, run what came in it, you will be dollars ahead.
Secondly, the O2 sensors could be going south and not throwing a code. Seen it before and as stated prior, a good tech can watch and see what they are doing via a live data stream.
Third, switch to 5/30 oil and run it all year, if you are not doing so already.
Next, have a complete injector and throttle body cleaning done. Clogged injectors squirt funny, when that happens the sensors adjust for a rich or lean condition, funny things begin to happen, but as long as they all happen with in set parameters, no check engine light.
Also, check and adjust tire pressures, check for dragging e-brake (common in the salt belt)
Front end alignment out of wack will eat gas! You are pushing tires where you want them to go, instead of them rolling along where you want them to go.
Pulling a trailer? Check those wheel bearings and tires
Something is causing that loss of fuel mileage! Find it! It may very well be a combination of all the above. And get that exhaust leak fixed!

05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
All things aside. make, model, engine size ect, don't mean squat. What you have is a noticeable decrease is fuel mileage. PERIOD! Everyone always throws in the Chevy deal or the gear deal... whatever. You WERE getting better mileage, so why not now. Well let's look at THAT problem.
First off, your tune up of new plugs and wires may have done you more harm than good if they weren't OEM wires and plugs. In this day and age, run what came in it, you will be dollars ahead.
Secondly, the O2 sensors could be going south and not throwing a code. Seen it before and as stated prior, a good tech can watch and see what they are doing via a live data stream.
Third, switch to 5/30 oil and run it all year, if you are not doing so already.
Next, have a complete injector and throttle body cleaning done. Clogged injectors squirt funny, when that happens the sensors adjust for a rich or lean condition, funny things begin to happen, but as long as they all happen with in set parameters, no check engine light.
Also, check and adjust tire pressures, check for dragging e-brake (common in the salt belt)
Front end alignment out of wack will eat gas! You are pushing tires where you want them to go, instead of them rolling along where you want them to go.
Pulling a trailer? Check those wheel bearings and tires
Something is causing that loss of fuel mileage! Find it! It may very well be a combination of all the above. And get that exhaust leak fixed!

Well, ALL of my parts I use are genuine GM (AcDelco), so that is not the issue. The injectors, fuel rails, lines, etc are all brand new as of december 06 always run 5/30 Mobil1 oil, tires are checked daily, they are fine, alignment was done in march, entire ebrake system is brand new, trailer bearings are new and greased, tires are 60% on it. So I dunno. May just be an o2 sensor. The exhaust leak is top-o-the list when I get enough time here soon. Puttin on some free flowing stuff though, thats for sure.

xcopterdoc
05-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Well then.. I dunno... hard to figure from afar. Maybe a math error or someone is swiping yur gas. Sounds like yur ahead of the game as far as being on top of the services and such.

Andyinchville
05-23-2007, 12:01 AM
HI,
My 86 w250 gets 7 pulling , My 87 E150 gets 8 pulling , My diesels (89 / 91 / 93)
Dodges get 13.4 pulling....O course I drive for mileage (no fast starts coast to red lights hopefully without braking etc).....Gassers just drink alot...I tow a 16'
trailer with a zero and 14" WB...Diesels are good fr mileage....Can burn Crank case oil and WVO for even greater savings on fuel costs.
Andrew
PS - My 84 D150 w/ slant 6 gets 13 mpg in town with a 48" WB in the bed
(I wouldn't try to tow with it tho)

05-23-2007, 07:47 AM
I think somwhere in the 4 o2 sensors I have, one is really screwed up and causing this issue. Just gotta find that right one, cant be just pickin and choosin those to replace and there are 4 at 100 bucks a piece!!!

fcl01
05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a similar problem. 12 mpg in winter and 8 mpg in summer.
So, I suffered through one tank of gas without the A/C on.
Guess what, back to 12 mpg.

I knew A/C sucked gas but not 4 mpg. But it is the ONLY explanation I have found.

05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I dont use a/c. It dont work anyway, LOL!!! But I know that consumes TONS of fuel. Now I hear gas is goin up to 4.25 by friday here:cry: Now it is gonna be 150 bucks just to fill the truck to last two days of cutting. Stupid thing

watatrp
05-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey get a diesel. I've got a 2002 Chevy 2500 hd w/ a duramax/ally combo. I get 13.5 mpg pulling the trailer around town. Without it I get around 16 mpg around town. Highway I get around 22 mpg unloaded. I'm paying $2.65 per gallon right now. You can bet I'm smiling every time I fill it up now. Last winter I pulled an 8500 lb travel trailer from northern Indiana to Key West. Averaged 12 mpg with most of it at 70-75 mph. Ok, I'm done. Go back to whining about high gas prices and low gas mileage.

scholzee
05-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Hey get a diesel. I've got a 2002 Chevy 2500 hd w/ a duramax/ally combo. I get 13.5 mpg pulling the trailer around town. Without it I get around 16 mpg around town. Highway I get around 22 mpg unloaded. I'm paying $2.65 per gallon right now. You can bet I'm smiling every time I fill it up now. Last winter I pulled an 8500 lb travel trailer from northern Indiana to Key West. Averaged 12 mpg with most of it at 70-75 mph. Ok, I'm done. Go back to whining about high gas prices and low gas mileage.

Not a bad idea but most sticker for $6,000 more than a gaser. You need to check your payback thats about 2-3 years of driving with better mileage to make up the $6k and then the higher maintance on the diesel and if your local mechanic can even work on it. Diesels are not the best choice for evryone. If you plow that Duramax/Allisons reverse gear is low, backing up long distances in a trailer court at 5am wakes evryone up it screams in reverse.

watatrp
05-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Fortunately, I was able to buy it used when it was a year old. I let someone else take the depreciation hit. Paid 31k for it. My last gasser had gone thru 2 transmissions in 50k miles and the 3rd was starting to slip when I traded it in. I think buying a new transmission every 25k miles is almost worse than paying the extra for the duramax/ally combo if you count the week that you don't have your truck too. As for reverse when plowing, I haven't had a problem. I've had it up to 25 mph in reverse which is about as fast as I want to go. I do notice the difference between the diesel and gassers. That's all I had prior to this truck. The gassers were in to the dealership for repairs a lot more often. This truck has been very dependable. Plenty of torque. I would take this diesel anyday over a gasser. I know the sticker price for them is very high. That's why it's best to buy used. Mine has 80k on it now and I'm told they are not even broke in until they hit 100k.

scholzee
05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah that allison is a good transmission, need to be careful on the 05/06 jump starting. They put the module that controls the tranny on the raditor fan shroud close to the positive jump start stud. If the positive jumper cable touches the aluminum heat sink of the module it fries the module and truck goes no where. They started to put a plastic shroud arond the module to insulate it. Also my friends 06 had a problem with using the block heater, it was 10 F outside and he had it plugged in, truck ran terrible and shifted awful. GM had to reset the computer and said only to use the heater if it is below 0 F something with the computer seeing the engine slighty warm and outside temperature cold and went into some limp mode, there is a technical service bulliten out on that. Its a good thing we did not have the four place snowmobile trailer hooked up and 8 hours from home to have a crazy thing like that happen. They said it was a software glitch and are waiting for an update, these things are getting way too complicated.

jbone
05-24-2007, 08:48 AM
hahahaha.... my GMC 8.1 with the 496, allison, and 4.10's gets like 13-15 around town:laugh: :laugh: ........sorry

Boonman
05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
My 7.3 crew cab Ford gets 14 hauling anything I put behind it. Around town, 16-17, and plowing, I get 12. I push a 10.5' plow in the winter. Diesel is currently $2.95 at the pump. I run off road in the mower and other diesel equipment. $2.21/gallon for that. I used my brothers '05 2500HD regular cab 4x4 6.0L gasser, for a week while I was waiting for a transmission for my truck, and in one week, I had ran very close to double my truck fuel consumption. My guesstimation tells me that the truck was getting around 8 or so. I ran the same route as usual. That truck has 20,000 miles on it. I will never have a gas truck again. Horrible memories.

nobagger
05-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I filled up 4 days ago, $86.75....now it was almost completely empty (low fuel light on) another 75 bucks later it was only at 3/4 full. I am looking into buying a late 90's Ford probe thats like new other than a crack in the dash (near mint condition) for 1200 bucks. It gets 30mpg! So when I'm not usig the truck I will probably save about 300 bucks a month in gas.

05-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, gonna go fill er up today at 3.39 a gallon:cry: But it will be empty again by saturday. I wish my truck got the good fuel consumption my Scag gets.

KTO Enterprises
05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
The exhaust leak can cause the o2 sensors to read lean, causing you to use more gas. My truck had a cracked exhaust manifold. No codes. Replaced the manifold and got about 4 miles to the gallon better instantly.

mike lane lawn care
05-24-2007, 11:49 PM
i keep on puting $40 here and thee into my truck, which gives me like half a tank, but that half a tank seems to go by faster than if i had filled up the tank fully. seems that one good fill up, lasts longer than 2 of the half fills.

hornett22
05-25-2007, 12:44 AM
at that mileage,you're due for O2 sensors.it isn't a small motor though.