PDA

View Full Version : Honda 21 mower wont run

ashs inc
05-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok guys picked this little baby up at a yard sale for 5 bucks. I figured you cant have enough mowers so i got it. I took it home 2nd pull it fired right up. I changed the air filter and spark plug and mowed my lawn. That was about 3 weeks ago. I had it in the back of my shop and decided to pull it out again. Now no fire. whats wrong???? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Kapaun
05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
By "no fire" do you mean no spark?
If not, did you check for spark?
Fuel valve open?

ashs inc
05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
fuel valve open. i changed spark plug. pulled. nothing. sprayed starting fluid. pulled. nothing pulled spark plug out connected the wire and pulled starter rope. no spark coming from plug??? what to do???? coil?

Marty1Mc
05-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Pull the carb off and clean it. I think you can do a quick check by loosening the bolt in the bottom of the bowl. If I leave mine sitting out, that is what I have to do to get it running again. I don't have room to store it inside.

Also, spray a little ether in the carb and see if it fires. That will let you get to the gas/spark part of the question.

Bill Kapaun
05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
If you don't have spark, it pretty much leaves it as being the coil, assuming you are getting a good ground to the plug.
I have an 18+ year old Masters. I mentioned the fuel valve, since it appears opposite of what one would expect for it to be open.
When I start for the first time after winter storage, I usually have to dribble about 1-2 teaspoons worth of gas in to the carb throat. After that, I'm good for a year.
Don't use starting fluid. If you need a prime, use a bit of gas. If that's the problem, it'll either start or not on 1-2 pulls.
Maybe there's a reason it was $5? Coils are kind of spendy, but the mower is still worth it if the other parts are functional.

Sandgropher
05-22-2007, 12:42 AM
I will give you double what you paid for if you deliver it ;)

My moneys also on the coil :)

Mark in MD
05-22-2007, 10:12 AM
No spark? I'd first check the flywheel magnets for rust. If rusty, clean with wire brush. Clean the two little magneto arms with fine sandpaper too, which gets the charge from the flywheel magnets. Check the gap, adjust. Use business card to set gap.

Check for spark.

If still no spark, I'd replace the ignition coil. It's going to cost more than $5. Sorry.

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 06:35 PM
ok guys took the red plactic cover off heres what it looks like. could this be the problem like mark said. clean the magnets and the little magneto???

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 07:46 PM
any help??? any one? any one? bueler?

Bill Kapaun
05-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Definitely clean off the rust!
As Mark in MD said.

That mower must have been stored in a very damp place!

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 09:17 PM
yeah i think outside. the oil was white! so i drained and refilled with new. what do i clean the rust off of? i know the two magnetos on the coil and i am guessing the shinny metal with the red around it? any where else??? thanks for you help!!!!!

fireman649
05-22-2007, 09:28 PM
If after claning it, it still doesn't have spark, take the spark plug boot off, it unscrews from the wire and test for spark on the bare end. I had one that had a bad spark plug boot(the hard plastic piece that goes over the plug) If still no spark, replace the coil.
Hope this helps

Steve

Bill Kapaun
05-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Clean it off the flywheel mainly.
Maybe lightly clean the coil legs next to the flywheel.

ashs inc
05-23-2007, 06:51 PM
ok guys thanks for all the help. This afternoon with a little down time i sanded the fly wheel got the rust off of it. sanded the magnettos. pulled the starter rope and nothing. shot a little starting fluid in the spark plug and pulled rope and it fired right up. I let her run for about 20 mins and cut it off. It started right up. I let her rest and ran some earands and came back about an hour later. Pulled rope and nothing!!!! sprayed some starter fluid and she fired right up. so whats the deal now???

Bill Kapaun
05-24-2007, 03:08 AM
Is the throttle linkage closing the choke valve?

ashs inc
05-24-2007, 08:04 AM
ahhhhhhhhhh bill could be because when i put the throtle on choke the engine doesnt change.