PDA

View Full Version : My First Walk-Behind

dslawns
05-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi I am new to this site and rather new to the lawn service business. I currently have about 10 accounts and I am looking to get a little bigger I have a full time job and I only run my lawn service about 3-4 days a week. I currently have a John Deere Js40 mower purchased last year, Its been a good mower but it is still a high end homeowner unit, it is just getting loose, (worn out) the drive belts are wearing out and it just does not cut all that nice anymore. I have my Echo trimmer and my blower, so far these tools have done great. I have noticed that it is taking me a long time to cut the lawns I have and that's why I am thinking of getting a bigger mower. I Hate to say it but I think if I buy a walk-behind I will be paying for it with all of this years money, so next year will be all profit if it works out, the old proven saying of "you have tto spend money to make money" is proving itself again. I have been looking at just about every commercial 36" walk-behind on the market, from cheap junk to very high dollar, Belt drive and hydro, but I think hydro is out just because of the price, every brand has been looked at and played with for atleast a few minutes, I started looking at pistol grip models and I thought I would stay away from that because its seemed uncomfortable but i have also learned that theat is a no fail design since the 80's I saw a bunch of models with other grip controls, I have looked at Toro's T-Bar and I really like that but to make a long story short, I have found a Husqvarna walk-behind that is pistol grip and I really like the way it feels the price is good for a 36" belt drive mower $2399. the toro is only $2599 but I wanted to stay around 2500 out the door, I think the salesguy can help me out a little because of who I work for, Anyway I wanted to see some opinions on that Husqvarna mower so far I have not seen any of those mowers on any trailers around my area, mostly bob cat and toro mowers. I know That Husqvarna has a good name behind it, but lets see what other people say. anyhelp would be great.

DodgeTruckMan731
05-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I have a 36" bobcat classic, 15 horse, pistol grip, not a bad mower its my first one, only true problem i have with it is that my thumb always bumps the brake lock and the brake stays engaged while I'm turning, happens with any pistol grip mower i heard, it cost me around 2400 out the door but i got alot of accessories with it so the price went a little higher, otherwise its a real good mower haven't had any other problems with it.

Chris

dslawns
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
should I stay away from pistol grip altogether? I looked at the exmark 36 belt with ETS I liked it but its over $3000 after tax and accesories I hate to lose money this season just to pay for a mower but i want to get a nice mower that will last. If anyone is currently using or has ever used the husqvarna walk behind described above please let me know, I like the mower and I like the price, so it has a good chance of comeing home with me!!

toac
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Try a different dealer. You can get a Toro with a T-bar 36" for under 2500. Dealer around here had one for 2299 - no joke. I use the 40" and it is great. Just my 2 cents.

dslawns
05-21-2007, 09:55 PM
A few guys have told me to steer clear of the t bar design because it gets "sloppy" once you get some hours on it pistol grip has been around forever and is the industry leading design with so many years of design i dought if it is that bad... I understand that anything will get worn out and loose but I guess as long as you keep everything adjusted and mantained properly it should be fine. I dont really know how to decide, I guess what ever feels and works best for my set up, one other thing is that the lawns I currently cut are small and have alot of trim work so I thought that the pistols would allow me to control the drive wheels better... what do you guys think?

toac
05-21-2007, 09:59 PM
you are right, whatever works for you is what's best. i have over 200 hours on the toro with no issues with the t-bar. regular maintenance is the key to keeping any mower in good shape.

Bolo9092
05-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I have ran a few toro mowers with the t barf that had over 2000hrs on them and they beat any new mower with the pistol grips.The t bar is so much easier on you.I have had both and it took me about 2 weeks to turn back around and sale the exmark with the pistol grips.I have ran a new Gravely and like there controls which are pretty much the same as the Husky walkbehinds

mountianview
08-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Selling my toro pistol grip 36 '' model 30684 turbo force deck 2007 model only maybe 20 hrs.paid 2800 sell 2300 like new,downsizing in upstate ny.