PDA

View Full Version : trying to tackle a problem

grutledge
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
not well versed in renovation a lawn but i have some issues i'd like to take care of. 80% of the lawn is fine but there are some problem areas. can anyone give me some suggestions?

thanks,

gr

Jeepster
05-22-2007, 07:54 AM
rototill areas just enough to break the surface nicely then seed/water/wait

leejp
05-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Can't tell what kind of grass that is but I'm thinking that it's a fescue or another type which don't spread/fill in with rhizomes. As parts of the lawn gets hit with disease/drought... it'll lead to barespots and clumping.

Get a thatching rake... this'll save you some effort

http://www.amazon.com/15-1-2-HD-Thatch-Rake/dp/B00004S1RW

Dampen the area (sprinkler)
break up the surface with the rake
mix in some topsoil or compost... From the looks of your property it looks like you can go where the leaves have been piling up. If you dig deep enough you'll find rich black compost.
good quality lawn seed + starter fertilizer
cover with straw
keep it wet and well watered through the summer (this is the WORST time to seed).
NO weed/feed or any other type of weed killer until next year.

grutledge
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

gr

sheshovel
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I think he may have some soil compaction problems there as well. I suggest you rent an aerator and aerate all along that back part of your lawn area, or the whole lawn. Then do as the above guy mentions only don't cover with straw cover with a good commercial seed topper.
I say go ahead and seed it it looks to be fairly shady there. Keep moist not soaking wet until it sprouts.
Looks like the lawn needs nitrogen to me too. I don't think it is in pretty good shape.
Also remove that stake and tie from the tree I see in the back ground there.

MILSINC
05-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Do exactly as she says, and you'll be in good shape.. just remember that watering does not end when the seed 'grows up', or else you'll be back in the same boat.