PDA

View Full Version : Latest project photos

cgland
05-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Here is another project we just finished. Pardon the lack of soil work. The builder has to regrade the back yard, so his grading/seeding crew will be raking/seeding the areas we left undone.

Chris

Mike33
05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
As usual Chris, another nice looking job.
Mike

GreenMonster
05-21-2007, 10:13 PM
show off.

Chris, what's your technique to make sure your sitting wall radius matches the circle diameter exactly?

cgland
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
show off.

Chris, what's your technique to make sure your sitting wall radius matches the circle diameter exactly?

Tape measure!

Chris

KrayzKajun
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Very nice! Great work!

neversatisfiedj
05-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Chris , did you cut the siding and flash it or just butt the block to the siding ?

forestfireguy
05-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I like the steps, nice smooth flowing lines.

Plant Buyer 83
05-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Chris

Looks great as usual.

Matt

cgland
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Josh - In all cases w/ remove the siding and flash it. In MOST cases we will "j" it. Sometimes, as you can see, we don't.

Chris

cgland
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks FFguy. Wheres the Wright frame for that shape?

Chris

ChampionLS
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
love the convex steps and concave wall! I see lights too! :clapping:

Gotta watch that first step out the door though...looks more than 8"

cgland
05-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah! It's actually 8 1/4" I screwed up when I told my foreman what height to set the steps at. He started at the low point and dug in, where as I wanted him to start at the high point and add. I lost 1 1/2" to pitch. But it's not bad enough to redo. GGGRRR!

Chris

sheshovel
05-23-2007, 06:37 PM
love the convex steps and concave wall! I see lights too! :clapping:

Gotta watch that first step out the door though...looks more than 8"

WoW you have to have a great eye to catch 1/4" off!

Looks great, they really expanded their living space by having that done. Not sure if I care for the steps though. too narrow it seems.

ChampionLS
05-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Most of the blocks are 6".. some are 8".. but all in all, I always try to make a big landing thats within 6" of any sliding or patio door. People carry food and pass through those doors, so I'd hate to see someone step out and fall.

Anyway.. I was out in the subdivision of Monroe Pines today where a good contractor friend of mine has 4 huge patio, driveway and walkway jobs in a row. He's putting 53 lights in the pavers, but thats not ready yet. I did manage to take some photos with my cell phone camera. Even though I cleaned the stupid lens, they are grainy. You can see the very good detail work his crew does. They cut the caps around the siding on this job, did perfect radius cuts on the bullnosed pavers, and the geometry of the steps is within a comfy 6".

Soon as they finish the front, I'll shoot some good pics with the Sony.

ChampionLS
05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Heres a couple more... and his new track loader. Haven't tried it yet, but it works well in sandy soils.

Midwest Lawn Services
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Superior work...we need high end hardscapers/landscapers like you around here!

zedosix
05-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Nice detail Champ. Only thing I would do different is I would of dropped the stone veneer in behind the brick on the top landing. I see you take pride in your work. Last picture I'm talking about in case there is any question

ChampionLS
05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys...
I didn't do this job, but it's a good friend of mine's work. We both started together, so we both do take pride on the details. I've been busy with a big retaining wall job,so haven't had a patio to do yet.

Heres a deck lighting job I did on Monday, while my guys were slinging blocks.
4 hours, working by myself. It was creepy under there! haha

Drafto
05-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Chris,

I love you Bro, but 6", 6", 6", 8 1/4" is a redo. I know you say it is only a 1/4", but really it is 2 1/4". We have ripped apart people for far less than stuff like that on this site. I think your work is top notch, but that should haunt you, sorry.

Dan

lawncare18
05-26-2007, 09:25 PM
You like the skidsteer.. I got a 185 with tracks and that big bucket.. love it... moved some serious snow this winter.

Mike33
05-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Here is another project we just finished. Pardon the lack of soil work. The builder has to regrade the back yard, so his grading/seeding crew will be raking/seeding the areas we left undone.

Chris

What is the highest raised patio you have done? Im in the process of new home will post some pics later. My back side is going to be around 6' high and hate the thoughts of having a regular deck.
Mike

cgland
05-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Mike - We have done 6' before, but it was a large patio, so we were able to break it up into multi levels w/ the lowest level being only 3' above grade.

Chris

zedosix
05-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Chris,

I love you Bro, but 6", 6", 6", 8 1/4" is a redo. I know you say it is only a 1/4", but really it is 2 1/4". We have ripped apart people for far less than stuff like that on this site. I think your work is top notch, but that should haunt you, sorry.

Dan

I think all of us at one time or another has lost sleep because of situations like this, in a case like this one, it means ripping apart 3 perfectly good steps and spending an additional day on site. I would inform the customer first and ask if he is ok with the large step, if so I would bite my tongue and move on. Tough call for sure.

Drafto
05-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Chris,

Dan

Yes, I am quoting myself! Chris, instead of a redo, why don't you just put a 3" cap on instead of the bullnose, or, find a 3" bullnose I know someone makes one but I can't remeber who right now. If you went with the 3" that would give 6 5/8", 6 5/8", 6 5/8" then a 7 3/8". Stil a tripper but much better than you have now.

Dan

cgland
05-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Believe me, I am ripping my hair out about it, but I spoke to the customer and gave them the option of me re-doing it. This is the tough part about not always being on site. In this case, as Zedo says, I had to make a judgement call.....spend another day and a half and $800 in materials or talk to the homeowner. I chose to leave it up to them and THEY decided that it was OK. If it was a cookie cutter set of steps or one step, it would have been gone, but...............................:cry:
P.S. Caps are not an option, they definately wanted the bullnose.
P.S.S. Go F yourself, Dan! LOL!
P.S.S.S. I never said it was only a 1/4" It's a 1/4" over code. I know it's 2 1/4"

Chris

GreenMonster
05-27-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm just going to refuse to believe my hero did this.

cgland
05-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm just going to refuse to believe my hero did this.

Believe it! I'm turning to the dark side! Join me....or be profitable!.....my son!

KKKKHHHHHOOOOOO KKKHHHHAAAAAA KKKHHHOOOOOO KKKHHHHAAAAA

Chris

DVS Hardscaper
05-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Work looks nice.

But, i'm sorry, I really do not like the block. Looks Lego-ie, kinda reminds me of Country Manor.

And this is what drives me up the wall about this modular industry.

It's like linolium floors (sp) vs a nice granite floor.

The work looks nice.

But the block looks un-creative.

cgland
05-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Andrew - What would you have installed? With this size project nat. stone or veneer would look rediculous. As far as the double sided block that is available to me there are really only 3 choices.......VL weathered mosaic, EP Henry Coventry or Techo's Creta or Calistro. I truly wish they made a Quarrystone DS wall block. I agree with/understand the frustration we all have w/ the cookie cutter direction the industry is taking, but you must remember this stuff is fairly new to John Q. Homeowner and THEY love it! So it is our job to make the same old product look new and exciting. This task is what separates the men from the boys. I have realized that after doing sooo many patios/walls it's hard to keep coming up w/ new designs, shapes, and details, but that is the difficult part about being a hardscaper that truly cares about the industry and also wants to provide a product that is both awe inspiring and affordable to our customers. The proverbial "rock and a hard place" if you will. So, on small to mid sized projects I/we have few product choices for seating applications. On the larger, higher dollar jobs natural stone or veneer is probably the way to go....................if that's the way the homeowner wants to go. Now that's the bottom line.

Chris

bnoel78
05-27-2007, 10:34 PM
what materials did you use and is that a double sailer course

DVS Hardscaper
05-27-2007, 11:01 PM
I wasn't lookin for a flippin sermon!

The block in the pics makes your work appear not so good.

Certainly a job that I would not place on our website, due to the lego-ie block.

Just like when Simon on your favorite show 'American Idol' tells a contestant - that they chose a song that didnt represent them well :)

Andrew - What would you have installed? With this size project nat. stone or veneer would look rediculous. As far as the double sided block that is available to me there are really only 3 choices.......VL weathered mosaic, EP Henry Coventry or Techo's Creta or Calistro. I truly wish they made a Quarrystone DS wall block. I agree with/understand the frustration we all have w/ the cookie cutter direction the industry is taking, but you must remember this stuff is fairly new to John Q. Homeowner and THEY love it! So it is our job to make the same old product look new and exciting. This task is what separates the men from the boys. I have realized that after doing sooo many patios/walls it's hard to keep coming up w/ new designs, shapes, and details, but that is the difficult part about being a hardscaper that truly cares about the industry and also wants to provide a product that is both awe inspiring and affordable to our customers. The proverbial "rock and a hard place" if you will. So, on small to mid sized projects I/we have few product choices for seating applications. On the larger, higher dollar jobs natural stone or veneer is probably the way to go....................if that's the way the homeowner wants to go. Now that's the bottom line.

Chris

mrusk
05-28-2007, 08:34 AM
We got a real tuff crowd here.

Who would of thought that the best hardscapers in the country would come to lawnsite?

cgland
05-28-2007, 08:47 AM
ANSWER MY QUESTION ANDREW! WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE INSTALLED IN THAT SITUATION? AND BELIEVE ME I'VE SEEN YOUR WEBSITE....I THINK THAT JOB WOULD MAKE THE CUT!................................................................................................ .................................................................................................... ..........................I'M WAITING!

Chris

cgland
05-28-2007, 08:52 AM
This looks a hell of alot more lego-ie than my project, but yet it makes it to your website......hhhmmmm!

Chris

DVS Hardscaper
05-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Chris -

This is 2007. Is the pic you posted of your LEGO project not from recent times? I wasn't aware you had it on your website. Was jus merely stating that the pic you showed here is not anything I would hang on the fridge, becuase the block used does does not represent you well :) Where with your pic, the market has evolved so drastically over the last 20 months. If you do a gig that you know will be nice - then I'd assume you would steer the buyer to use nice product.

Thank you for visiting outdoorfinishes.com. I don't think Belgard's Celtic in no way appears to be LEGO-IE! Which that pic was from 4 yrs ago, which at that time, in our area, that was the only modular block that existed :) And that picture from our website that you displayed represents us well, because I have about 3 callers a month reference that seat wall :) I just wish Belgard was a good prooduct again, so we could go back to using their Celtik block.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/It's%20Five%20O'Clock%20Somewhere/Natural-Stone-Seat-lg.jpg

cgland
05-28-2007, 09:18 AM
If you do a gig that you know will be nice - then I'd assume you would steer the buyer to use nice product.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/It's%20Five%20O'Clock%20Somewhere/Natural-Stone-Seat-lg.jpg

You still have not answered my question! Besides that "wall" you posted, what would you have installed? (in a raised application BTW. You seem to be side stepping every question i pose to you. Please teach me master.

Chris

cgland
05-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I guess it's a matter of opion then, because I think that Celtik block looks much crappier than the one I used. So, again, answer my question

Chris

cgland
05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Another example! Nice radius on the wall BTW! Let me guess......another project from 4 years ago?

Chris

cgland
05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Andrew - I'm STILL waiting! Or in typical fashion, are you going to remain silent when someone calls you out. You claim to be the "hardscape master", so give me some insight on the product you would have chosen for that seating wall.

I certainly do not claim to be the greatest hardscaper on earth, but on "typical" projects with only 3 reasonable choices for DS wall block, I want to know what product I should have used that, in your opinion, doesn't look Lego-ie. I feel that I have chosen one of the best looking DS block available on the market (Techo probably has the best) Please enlighten me!

Chris

zedosix
05-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Double butter on mine please:)

DVS Hardscaper
05-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Chris man,

I didn;t mean to upset you. Let me back up here and provide my basis for my statements.

I simply stated that you used block that resembles Country Manor, AND IT DOES :)

I could be mistaken, but back in the winter you stated your opinion on Country Manor - yet....in this picture - it looks very very similar to Country Manor! Again, for the record I could be wrong - maybe it wasn't you that stated so.

Chris - the reason I never answered your question is because I didnt see where you asked it. I saw a long multi-paragragh response and really didnt care to read it.

Chris - I have stated multiple times the block we use on this website. And in each thread where I have done so, YOU HAVE PARTICIPATED!!! :)

So you KNOW what we use.

I don't think I been "called out" on anything.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I simply responded to a thread that you initiated! :)

I pointed out that it's my opinion that the block used was not of the best choice. So, who called out whom! :cool2:

Did you uselect it? Is that why you are so bent out of shape?

I didnt realize you were bent by it, till the reponse quoted below.

I assumed your client selected it, and it is what it is.

But since your are appearing aggitated - I guess my assumption was incorrect :)

We use the following:

If it is in the DC Metro Area - we use natural stone. Stone patio, stone walls, and stone pillars. Mention a made made product to the people in that market and they'll tell you to get off their property!

If the work is in the area of which our business is located we use Techo, Nicolock, and some Bradstone products.

As CLEARLY spelled out in a thread back around Feb or so - if it is a small gig and there are financial constraints - we use Country Manor.

And YES Chris, a well done job does not spoil :) I live near a historic national park, and there is stone work dating back to the civil war, still looks good! So a 4 yr old patio can too :)

Nothin personal bud, just was stating that I don't like the choice of block. If a nice job is in the works, then I believe nice mats should be utilized....

PS Chris - never have I "claimed" to "be the hardscape master". Others have claimed that I have claimed such. But when you do nice quality work and am a good lookin dude - it's rather easy for others to feel initimindated :)

Double PS - and notice I haven't responded to your issue where you have lost sleep! Thats a whole other matter :)

Andrew - I'm STILL waiting! Or in typical fashion, are you going to remain silent when someone calls you out. You claim to be the "hardscape master", so give me some insight on the product you would have chosen for that seating wall.

I certainly do not claim to be the greatest hardscaper on earth, but on "typical" projects with only 3 reasonable choices for DS wall block, I want to know what product I should have used that, in your opinion, doesn't look Lego-ie. I feel that I have chosen one of the best looking DS block available on the market (Techo probably has the best) Please enlighten me!

Chris

STRINGALATION
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
well guys if it soothes anybodies ego's i am a third year scaper and am about to tackle a grill and would be proud as a 6' rooster in a hen yard to say i did any of the work you guys have shown. i plan on putting hardscaping under my belt with this grill and hope i can be as picky as you guys and spot a 1/4 inch mistake:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Drafto
05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
This post has gone beyond ridiculous.

Andrew - Lego-ie? Dude, all manmade block is lego-ie. That is almost a rhetorical statement.

Chris - I would pay more attention to the things you can control, opinions you can't, lego-ie block you can't, but that 8" step is. Also, relax, come out of the closet and just enjoy your work and your life. Your work sure is good.

Dan

DVS Hardscaper
06-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Dan -

EXACTLY!

We install modular block day in and day out. yet - I am not a big fan of it.

With it being ugly as it is, unless money is a factor, I do all I can to stay away from the Lego lookin block.

With that said - there ain't no man made block at my residence, and at this point, I dont think there ever will be.

Didnt mean to get you so rauled up Chris. You started the thread. And I commented just as you have commented to others that have shown pics here. There were no intentions of anything personal. And my comment only derived from your comment that you made a few months ago regarding Country Manor :) I was kinda taken back when I saw your pictures and saw a block that in my opinion resembles country manor.

No biggie. I didnt realize this was a touchy subject. My statements were only derived from past writings. You have stated a few times that you strive to use certain materials based on certain criteria, with that knowledge of what you like, when I saw what you used I was taken by surprise.

Whatever pays the bills, allows you a nice home and a nice vacation, right?