PDA

View Full Version : 16 Briggs Vanguard valve job

Yard
08-14-2001, 10:43 PM
I just had a valve job done on a Briggs 16 vanguard. Does anyone know how many labor hours are usually charged for this? I was charged for 6.5 hours. I trust the shop but to me it seems like a lot of hours for a valve job. I was figuring about half of that. What do you think?

LES
08-14-2001, 11:55 PM
You're Correct. 3.5 Seems a little more reasonable.

khouse
08-15-2001, 12:01 PM
Was the valve guides replaced? Did they resurface the head? Did they replace the valve seats? Did they do a minor or major tune up also? These things might have added more time than a valve job alone. Either way is it running fine? I wouldn't hold it against them if you've gotten a quality job.

Fish
08-15-2001, 05:05 PM
That is real high. What labor rate? What parts did they charge
you for? Is that all they repaired? Who determined that that
was what you needed? Did they do both sides?
Fish

Yard
08-16-2001, 09:23 AM
To answer some questions,the guides and seats weren't replaced, the heads weren't resurfaced, no other work was done, no tune up etc. Yes both sides were done. The labor rate is $50 hour which I don't have a problem with. The only parts charged for was a gasket set.
Yes it does run better now.
Thanks for your replies!

Fish
08-16-2001, 09:38 AM
Ask them if they recut the valves and seats, or did they just lap the valves. Even if they had to pull the engine that is excessive
time. If they just lapped the valves and called it a proper valve
job, I would be looking for another shop in the future.
Fish

sdwally
08-17-2001, 10:27 AM
If just a valve job was done, I would have charged no more than 1.5 hours per cylinder. That also includes problems that pop up. In a shop I worked in(before city job) we cut the valves and the seats, lapped the valves, and resurfaced the head. A good mechanic can do the job under an hour per cylinder. Still charged a minimum of an hour per cylinder.
Unfortunely, there is no book of standard labor times for this industry, as opposed to the auto industry. Some companies have guidelines, however its mainly for warranty work that fall a little short on some things even for a master mechanic.