PDA

View Full Version : Paver / Wall Catalogs

DVS Hardscaper
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
I been in this hardscape business for 11 years. (incase anyone forgot!)

And over that period of time, I have met with hundred and hundreds and hundreds of homeowners.

With that said, I think I have a good grasp on how to read their facial expressions and tones in their voices.

I like a paver catalog to be detailed, simple to navigate, and easy for the average Frank & Helen Homeowner to figure out.

What do you pros think of Nicolock's catalogs?

Do you like that Nicolock has multiple catalogs?

I am used to working with TECHO - where they have ONE, easy to navigate catalog. Just Like Sears!

This multiple catalogs from Nicolock drives me up the wall, and from watching the expressions of my prospective clients faces tells me - they are confused.

The owners of Nicolock say "if you plan to buy a Cadillac, you don't wanna look at a brochure that has a Cobalt in it".

Well - it's not that simple with patio clients! They call simply wanting a patio, having no clue of ALL the options in paver styles and colors. And then they're presented with 6 different catalogs!

cgland
05-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I present my clients w/ 2 catalogues.....EP Henry and Techo Bloc. Plain and simple...these are your choices. For one it keeps thing simple for me inthat I don't have to memorize 20 different catalogues and two, customers can get overwhelmed when presented w/ too many options. Be an expert w/ the products you sell.

Chris

GreenMonster
05-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I present my clients w/ 2 catalogues.....EP Henry and Techo Bloc. Plain and simple...these are your choices. For one it keeps thing simple for me inthat I don't have to memorize 20 different catalogues and two, customers can get overwhelmed when presented w/ too many options. Be an expert w/ the products you sell.

Chris

Agreed. For me, they get a Techo and a Unilock.

mrusk
05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Honestly, I basically almost tell the people what to go with for material on almost every job.

Most people can not tell the difference between the different pavers. I ask people all the time "What pattern was at your last house on your old patio?" Everytime i get "I never really looked at the pavers closely."

If the job is not a natural stone job, i'll design the job with a Techo product.

When i use to give people 3 catologs, they'd always just ask me "What do you think we should use."

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I hate brochures! I use them as a selling tool etc, but they drive me nuts. The color chart to your regions actual stone colors is NEVER the same. lol!:rolleyes:

DVS Hardscaper
05-22-2007, 07:19 AM
no one has Nicolock in their area?

I wasn't really axin what brand do you install :hammerhead:

cedarcroft
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
we have Nicolock here. it sux a$$. the product, the catologs, and everything else. the owner of Nicolock lives on my friends street and apparently selling inferior sh!t pavers and wall block is profitable!!

we sell only Unilock and Techo also.

D Felix
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Don't have Nicolock, Techo or EP here... :rolleyes:

ChampionLS
05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
EP Henry is awesome. They have soooo many matching products.

Markf
05-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Some years ago I had Nicolock installed around my pool. I am going to call in the local rep because the coping has started to split, and change color. I believe this is an inferior product.

However, I the question that I have is when you give your client the brochure, what do you do when they want to see the product up close and personal? We have several places here that actually have very nice set-ups for the customer. But then they may want a product that you do not care to work with.

Mark

pshields
05-25-2007, 01:46 PM
As a homeowner I love the EP Henry catalog and their web site. I am not a typical homeowner because we built our patio ourselves but being able to see what is available is really nice. Most other catalogs just gave us ideas on color and paver size. With EP Henry it is more of how to use their product to create something unique. I would think their catalog would help with selling a nicer product, for example bullnose steps instead of caps. It sure worked on us, we bought 3 types of wall units, two sizes of pavers, corners for the columns, bullnose and caps. All based on what we saw in the catalog.

PatriotLandscape
05-25-2007, 10:20 PM
I give them an Ideal Concrete Block catalog and bring samples of one tumbled and one untumbled. Unless they ask for more options we don't offer more because too many options drag on the sale.

Mike33
05-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I think sometimes you have to elimanate there democratic rights. Never give too many options it can be a pita. Then you have to be ready to answer why does a nail stick in a board.
Mike