PDA

View Full Version : How are my flyers?

no1knosme12203
05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi, I have been in the lawn care business for about a year now ( im 17 years old) and I am about to turn my business into a real business with insurance and taxes and everything I should have had. but the first thing i needed was a name not taken in Louisiana which I found and I wanted to produce a nice logo , and flyers! well this is what I designed . . .

http://i6.tinypic.com/4zvgwtd.jpg

What do yall think of it? is it professional or does it look like a kid designed it? I am open to all opinions and just want to make sure it is what I need to get a good start into the REAL DEAL. I have been operating for about a year now without insurance and such . . because I was only 16 but I have already had an accident where I broke a glass front door from a rock flying from the edger. I don't want to take a chance of this happening to a person, or another object so I am going to put the business into my parents name. Also, I already own all commercial equipment so I think I am doing pretty well but would like others opinions.

Thanks,
Nick

BotetourtBoy3
05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
hey the logo looks great altho the grasshopper might be to much but i believe once the people see how good you cut their lawns i dont think they will care, but of course im new to this whole lawn care business lol

fiveoboy01
05-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Doesn't look bad at all.

MUCH better than my first attempt at a flyer my first year in business.

As far as the services you offer, you might want to narrow them down a bit. Maybe eliminate the mowing/edging/trimming/blowing and just replace those with "lawn service". Raking and weeding could fall under cleanups. And landscaping is a very broad term. You might want to be more specific so that you aren't getting a bunch of calls for work that you aren't able to perform.

I'd change "lawn care" to "lawn service"... Just my opinion unless you've already set up the business name then it's sort of too late.

Vikings
05-22-2007, 02:39 AM
At first I thought it was two colour, spot colours but I see it's a four colour flyer so I think you have too much green.

Two colour with green as a spot colour makes a nice flyer, basically green and black. But if your going for 4 colours you might as well use them.

TurfProSTL
05-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Lose one of the grasshopper logos, both of them are too much IMO.....

OMG
05-22-2007, 09:07 AM
A little too much info for my taste. But, that's just my opinion.

I would cut back on the services stated.....also see no need in 'Contact us at:'......just put a number.

You want something that will catch their eye quick before it hits the trash.....

Once contacted, you can expand your service offerings verbally.

Again, nothing wrong with your flyer.....that's just my opinion.

bohiaa
05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
A little too much info for my taste. But, that's just my opinion.

I would cut back on the services stated.....also see no need in 'Contact us at:'......just put a number.

You want something that will catch their eye quick before it hits the trash.....

Once contacted, you can expand your service offerings verbally.

Again, nothing wrong with your flyer.....that's just my opinion.

Agree......

what I have learned.... is you need to have an "attention grabbing" headline. like TO BUSY TO CUT YOR LAWN..or, LET US DO THE WORK,
a flyer is NOT a business card.... people dont care who you are " on your flyer" but more interested in what you can do for them.... and always have the word " FREE" on it.... even if it's free estimates... FREE grabs the eye.
make it urgent..... like CALL NOW..... this wont last long..... there's a sence of urgancy there.... and remember the public in general is stupid.... THEY HAVE TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO........ CALL NOW......
and in most cases they have to be told 3 times.... ever seen those commericals on tv.... CALL US NOW the number is 555-5555.... call NOW our number is 555-5555,,,,, again that number is 555-5555.
with that statement you told them waht to do and you told them 3 times....
and always put on your flyer the statement... If you cant use our services please pass this along to some one who can.... it never hurt's to ask.....
make it yellow...... yellow with black type grabs your attention.... you cant miss a yellow peace of paper......

to be honest with your ad... at a quick glance I would think your selling gater meet. a grass hopper in a lawn is a bad thing.......
I'm 46 years old... my eyes are going I have to have glasses to read... I hate glasses... when I bring in the mail...or read the news paper I'm only looking
for attention grabbing headlones..... and will only spend 1 to 2 secoands looking for waht get's my attention. other than than that trash....

I'm not trying to be a jerk .... just passing along what I have learned....
save the grass hopper for your business cards///

Good luck

S&M Lawn Care
05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
i would focus more on customer benefits rather than your features/services.

bishoplandscape
05-23-2007, 12:28 AM
what do you consider landscaping to be?

no1knosme12203
05-23-2007, 01:35 AM
BotetourtBoy3 - thanks. good luck this season

fiveoboy01- thanks for the advice. i haven't set up the business name yet so I need to think about the "lawn care" vs "lawn service".

Vikings- what other colors would you suggest? and where would you use them?

TurfProSTL- ya i couldn't decide if it was too much or not. I plan to use the grasshopper possibly on the uniform if I get them made soon, so i might take it off the flyer.

OMG- thanks for the advice. what else would you get rid of or add to make it more appealing to the human eye?

bohiaa- you aren't being a jerk. i asked for advice and/or opinions and that is what you gave me. IMO the eye catching things are the ones that i personally throw away. maybe that is because i am only 17? what does everyone do? whenever i see a flyer like that, it makes it seem homemade and cheap . . . it doesnt look professional in my eyes. what does everyone else think? i appreciate the advice and i dont mean to sound rude if i do in anyway. i just don't want people throwing these away at first glance, so I am asking the people with the most experience ( all of yall lol )

S&M Lawn Care- what would you put instead of the services? things like " more time with the family " and such? is that professional in your opinion? thats what I cant decide.

bishoplandscape- usually the customer will ask certain tasks and I can tell them whether or not I can do them. I have done full garden beds including digging out the pattern, putting in gardening soil, designing the garden, planting the plants, mulching , and the usual maintenance of the plants. one thing i havent done and dont plan to do is fertilizing. i know you need a special license for that and I plan to get one, but not right now, so I am not even interested in those jobs. I also need to get a landscapers license ( i forgot exactly what they are called ) because legally I can't put plant's in gardens and such, and I want to be a legit business.

fiveoboy01
05-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Well what I'd say from your description, is change landscaping to bed installation, maintenance and rennovation. I know that's pretty long though but in my opinion your description doesn't "technically" fall under landscaping.

bohiaa
05-23-2007, 08:49 AM
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kuraoka/flyer.htm

MJStrain
05-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi, I have been in the lawn care business for about a year now ( im 17 years old) and I am about to turn my business into a real business with insurance and taxes and everything I should have had. but the first thing i needed was a name not taken in Louisiana which I found and I wanted to produce a nice logo , and flyers! well this is what I designed . . .

http://i6.tinypic.com/4zvgwtd.jpg

What do yall think of it? is it professional or does it look like a kid designed it? I am open to all opinions and just want to make sure it is what I need to get a good start into the REAL DEAL. I have been operating for about a year now without insurance and such . . because I was only 16 but I have already had an accident where I broke a glass front door from a rock flying from the edger. I don't want to take a chance of this happening to a person, or another object so I am going to put the business into my parents name. Also, I already own all commercial equipment so I think I am doing pretty well but would like others opinions.

Thanks,
Nick

Overall I really like the ad. However I would lose the legs in the name Grasshopper.