PDA

View Full Version : Ariens 16-48 Drive problem


Cog-Noggin'
05-21-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a '95 Ariens ZTR residential grade ZTR and the left drive motor will not pull like the right one. I broke the plastic supply fitting and did not realize it until it had run about 200 feet. Machined a new fitting out of brass since a replacement was 32 bucks. Just could not see paying that for a piece of plastic. Refilled the hydraulic reservoir and it will pull ok sometimes but will slow down and/or quit pulling. Has what may be described as pump cavitation noise. Other side is quiet and smooth. A new one is $920.00, just can't see that either. Refilled with correct hydraulic fluid. Are there rebuild kits for this? Or what direction do I need to look next? You can email me directly at bjscoot2@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for any insight into my problem.

khouse
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
jack that wheel up and at 3/4 throttle cycle the lever full forward and backward maybe 75 times. Post the model number to the hydro unit and we'll see what it costs - if we can find it.

Cog-Noggin'
05-22-2007, 09:37 AM
I'll do that today. After refilling the reservoir, I did run it quite a bit and got a lot of air out of it. It's a 915002 Model number. Serial # 000654 I think. Thanks for your reply

Cog-Noggin'
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Jacked up wheel and cycled it numerous times. Got what I think is all the air out of the hydro unit. Still wants to wander, pulls ok sometimes and not the other. Starting out seems to be ok most of the time, but it loses power after 100 feet or so. Go in reverse and it may straighten out for a short bit then back to acting up. I'm not at my wits end but I can see it from here.

khouse
05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
How is the belt and or tensioner?

Cog-Noggin'
05-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Seems to be fine. Will check that Friday. Right side drive motor pulls well. Same belt.

Cog-Noggin'
05-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Belt and tensioner fine. Pulled transaxle out of mower today and tore into it. Seems to be a relatively simple design. Could find no obvious damage. Took everything down to the nitty-gritty. Found a couple of plungers(think those are orifices) with o-rings on them. replaced the o-rings and stretched the springs out underneath them. Balls in the pump and the motor are kind of "sticky", but otherwise ok. Clutch plates are intact with material on one. Installed and bled, but it is still doing the same thing. Will call the Eaton technical support next week to see if they can give me any more ideas.
Part # is a 778-001 Eaton. Put that in Yahoo search and the first hit will be the PDF file of what I have. From Ariens, the transaxle is $920. Found a local Eaton distributor who can get it with a four week lead time for $595.50. I guess you pay for orange.

Cog-Noggin'
05-29-2007, 11:05 PM
khouse, did you find a replacement 778-001 ?

khouse
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
That similar to a Grasshopper unit that usually costs around 650 to 700. I think the price is right that you were quoted. I will check for you and post back.

Cog-Noggin'
05-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Tore into trans-axle again yesterday. According to the rebuild instructions, the steel balls in the pump and motor are fitted to the holes they go in. They had come out on first disassembly and did not have the manual telling me about the sizes. Found two in each that may have been out of place. Springs behind motor balls I gave a little stretch for good measure. Reinstalled, filled with hydraulic fluid and did a major air bleed. Seems like I got a lot more air out this time. Runs smooth now. Thanks for all you guys help.

khouse
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
I just got my price on that unit and your quote of 595 is very fair. I have a 4 week lead time on that unit.