PDA

View Full Version : Newbie who want to help her husband get started!plz help

ksuyen
05-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Ok here it goes. My husband has been working in the lawn industry for over 8yrs, and knows everything there is to know about landscaping. He know believes he is ready to go on his own, and begin his own business. I support his decision 100% and stand by his side in whatever he wants. My question is how do we begin to advertise. How and where do we begin to get clients. Please give us any suggestions to help us. I am making flyer's, but do you think I should post it in a newspaper or contract someone to pass the flyer's around a certain neighborhood. plz any suggestions in helping us to get started. Thank you so much!!

HOOLIE
05-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Flyers/doorhangers are good to get exposure...it is time-consuming to pass them out, so if you can find someone to help you do this I would go that route.

Newspaper and HOA newsletter ads work too. Anything to get those initial jobs, then as you grow you can target certain areas where you already have customers.

bohiaa
05-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Flyers/doorhangers are good to get exposure...it is time-consuming to pass them out, so if you can find someone to help you do this I would go that route.

Newspaper and HOA newsletter ads work too. Anything to get those initial jobs, then as you grow you can target certain areas where you already have customers.

always target areas........Mass mail is wonderfull you can target your customers better this way. but its a bit expensive. Dont concentrate your efforts on 1 type of ads,,

Run a news paper ad, and follow it up with door hangers/flyers. talk to everyone... place your business cards in stores, and just go in to places and ask..... EVERYONE has grass. jsut go in and ask......

BD Bone
05-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Newbie,
It is nice to have a fellow wife... here. I am a wife helping my husband in this industry as well. Once you get enough posts, plz PM (private message) me and we can support each other.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Advertise, Flyers, Mailers, Inserts, doorhangers, and word of mouth are all great. Initially, you may have to try them all and see which one brings you the most response and to determine where the areas of results best come from. We did a larger mailing insert this season and spent a little more than usual. It has returned us some pretty good results and from an area of our county that we would never have simply sought out to actually solicit because thinking it would not be profitable. So, it just goes to show you that you never know where business may come from. Have family, friends and associates pass flyers out, hang them in places of work and everyone you talk to, let them know what you are doing. Usually most friends want to call on friends that they know. That gets the ball rolling and helps you to make contacts with people.

Good luck and wish you much success! I know from personal experience, being a wife to a man in this industry is not always easy, but working together, supporting each other and helping him is the key to making this venture work. I enjoy the work as much as he does and it makes me proud to be able to help him...mulch, mow or handle phone calls. I have taken an interest at even the maintenance of the equipment .... by helping take our trucks for service calls, the plow in for service, picking up his de-icer products when he is too busy... stuff like that which is sometimes a hassle.. I enjoy and it takes a load off his mind to have it taken care of. Simple things, but it makes a lot of difference and he knows it supports him.

Good luck!
Paulina (Mrs. BD Bone)

Lawnboy85
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Ok here it goes. My husband has been working in the lawn industry for over 8yrs, and knows everything there is to know about landscaping. He know believes he is ready to go on his own, and begin his own business. I support his decision 100% and stand by his side in whatever he wants. My question is how do we begin to advertise. How and where do we begin to get clients. Please give us any suggestions to help us. I am making flyer's, but do you think I should post it in a newspaper or contract someone to pass the flyer's around a certain neighborhood. plz any suggestions in helping us to get started. Thank you so much!!

From my experience, the are a number of ways to get the ball rolling. First, word of mouth is huge, but of course, you have to have customers to begin with. I found a program where I could create my own business cards and then go to Office Depot or even Wal-Mart and you can buy business card paper (10 cards/sheet) and they come in packages. Simply going door to door and knocking/taping a card on the door will get some advertisement. You can spend the extra money of having your cards professionally made, but mine come out just find being home-made. Flyers are also great, they will stick out more and people are more likely to see them.

Also, post either a home-made or professionally made sign in your yard; you'd be surprised at how many potential customers will call.

I recently had t-shirts made and I'm handing them out to all my friends and even the tellers I see regularly at the bank. When you've got 100 t-shirts going around town, you're bound to pick up a few customers. And even if you pick up just 1-3 customers, after a year's worth of mowing for them, it will pay for the shirts, and shirts don't require a renewal fee as do newspaper ads and the like.

Good luck to you guys and if you ever need advice, just let me know. You have obviously been in the business longer than me, but I don't mind sharing my experiences.

Lohse's Lawn Service

N.H.BOY
05-22-2007, 10:57 PM
8 YEARS in the lawn industry?? What may I asked what he did, because he might have alot of contacts already with people. Ask other LCO if you can doing any sub work and please do not forget insurance.

Grits
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Step #1: Get insurance and proper licensing.

bishoplandscape
05-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Why is it that when someone says landscape everyone thinks lawn care???:confused:

bishoplandscape
05-23-2007, 12:07 AM
*trucewhiteflag*

newz7151
05-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Why is it that when someone says landscape everyone thinks lawn care???:confused:

Because alot of beginner grass cutters call themselves landscapers by mistake instead of just "lawn guy".

deereequipment
06-20-2007, 09:22 PM
*trucewhiteflag*

Bishop, does that truck ever get full??

WJW Lawn
06-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Because alot of beginner grass cutters call themselves landscapers by mistake instead of just "lawn guy".

You mean cutting grass ISNT landscaping??? :dizzy:

Prestige-Lawncare
06-21-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't know many guys that only mow. Most of the guys I talk to install trees, shrubs, plants, flowers ... cut in new beds ... mulch ... install water gardens and ponds ... etc, etc, etc. Mowing often is only the key to other work on peoples properties. I then would say that this falls under the classification of landscaping.

Am I right ... or wrong?

topsites
06-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Grass cutting is but one aspect of lawn care.
Lawn care is but one sub-category of landscaping, same with gardening.
Landscaping is the whole enchilada, and usually and often involves work both with hardscape and softscape components.

That's the best I could make of it, I suppose one gets into so many aspects that it comes close at one point, now I wouldn't call myself a landscaper but that's just me.

monetland
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I wish you the best after all this is America. However although your husband feels he knows it all about the production side he probably has alot to learn about the office side - or else you wouldn't be asking -- take a look at "Outside YOUR box" a new post I just added -- hopefully it helps:

Bret

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Flyers offer the biggest bang for the buck...My experiance was 1% return. I targeted the houses mostly on weekends. Newspaper and other ads go every where, not just where you might want them to go. Your hub should go out and pound the pavement, and if he does a good job and works hard, word of mouth will take him from there.

Garden Thyme
06-24-2007, 05:27 AM
I did some research on the subject of flyers and discovered that for every 100 leaflets/ flyers you drop you should get 4 enquiries and this will lead to 1 or maybe 2 customers.
So you can now judge yourself how many flyers to distribute. Also put up posters in shops etc. and advertise in the local papers.

2 clowns mowing
06-24-2007, 07:28 AM
what worked best for me was yard signs. and most important the right name and a great logo to catch attention.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-24-2007, 10:30 AM
what worked best for me was yard signs. and most important the right name and a great logo to catch attention.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83460&stc=1&d=1182680915

I must say ... you have come up with something pretty unique!

ed2hess
06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I must say ... you have come up with something pretty unique!

Yep I agree but don't get the cow connection.....should have had clowns on top of truck. This is a great idea for people to remember. Could have a catchy email address.

WJW Lawn
06-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Yea mowing alone doesnt pay crap...gotta add on and upsell! Fert(legally)...mulch...pinestraw...seeding...aeration...plantings...ect.
Like it was stated here...mowing gets your foot in the door.