PDA

View Full Version : lots of brick to cut

kp2171
05-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I dry cut 4x8 clay brick pavers for my patio last year using my cheapo chicago electric 10 inch miter saw and equally cheapo diamond blades.... two $40 blades from harbor freight and one $60 from HD. Dusty and slow, but got it done, as I only needed cuts around one curved edge and along two borders.

This year I'm laying brick border all around the house and several flower beds. Will be doing LOTS of cutting, over a longer period of time, so I'm not sure I want to rent a wet saw several times. I also dont think I can get my wife to ok bankrolling an edco hss14.

So... anyone think simply a better diamond blade in the miter will last? I have an older portable 12 inch table saw available, but i didnt want to throw all that dust into the table saw when i could walk away from the miter saw if it didnt last past the project. But at this point, I'd be willing to spend $200 on a quality blade if the table saw could get me through the summer.

I would'nt be against spending some money on a wet saw, new or used, as I'll have some tile work to do in baths later... but I really need to be able to cut a bunch of brick (probably 1000 brick, some with cuts on both ends) and i cannot see getting very far with a cheap diamond blade in the miter saw.

Also, preferred blades for the miter or table would be helpful.

Thanks for feedback. - Kel

Jeepster
05-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Rent the saw.Faster,Cleaner,Easier,Cheaper...less abuse on the machines. (all that brick dust is gonna tear-up your saw) Water lubes and cools the blade for longer life. Lay all your field pavers then get the saw and do all your cuts. You gotta have the right tool for the job....you wouldn't use a 21"walk behind to mow 6 acres would you?

Oh yeah, a tile saw is different than a brick saw.

kp2171
05-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Rent the saw. Faster, Cleaner, Easier, Cheaper... less abuse on the machines. (all that brick dust is gonna tear-up your saw) Water lubes and cools the blade for longer life.

I do understand the best tool for the job is best. But with about a 1000 brick to cut, as mentioned, some on both ends... I'm not likely to get the landscaping edging done in a day or two... each brick is cut to the one before it... it isn't as simple as throwing down a chalk line... and I'm a DIY'er trying to fit the work in when I can... which means multiple rentals... equals $$$. If one or two quality diamond blades would let me work this out bit by bit over the summer, it'd be easier for my schedule. I'm willing to sacrifice some productivity (speed) for convenience and cost.

Worst case, I'd rather buy a decent used prograde wet saw, or new even, and resale at a discount when done than rent and rush and rent and rush.

Lay all your field pavers then get the saw and do all your cuts. You gotta have the right tool for the job....you wouldn't use a 21"walk behind to mow 6 acres would you?

There are no field pavers. Its not a patio. Thats done. I'm laying a landscape border that curves and weaves... few straight lines, with a row of bricks set end to end and behind it a row of bricks turned on its side. All cut to be snug together, meaning a lot of cuts at a lot of bricks.

So again... its not that I'm not willing to rent and not that I'm not willing to spend some money. Other threads here show pro's mentioning using table saws for dry cuts. I'd like at least to know the blades preferred.

Jeepster
05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I understand. Working on the job as you have time.

LarryF
05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
A $59 chop saw from Harbor Freight and a 14", $100 diamond-tipped blade bought locally were used for all of the pavers cut for this patio. The sawing was done dry, the chop saw still operates, and the blade still cuts. But if you do likewise, buy yourself a high-quality mask.

leejp
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I cut a couple of hundred bricks with a Home-Cheapo wet saw last year...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100074675&N=10000003+90401&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125&D=wet+saw

A little slow but it worked fine and the saw is still working.

LarryF
05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I cut a couple of hundred bricks with a Home-Cheapo wet saw last year...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100074675&N=10000003+90401&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125&D=wet+saw

A little slow but it worked fine and the saw is still working.

That saw is really for cutting tiles, so it's not surprising that it would be a bit slow. The chop saw I mentioned cut very fast, but it was dusty of course. Because the patio was circular and the pavers were laid diagonally, a lot of cutting was required...approximately 700 cuts as a matter of fact. I believe a cast paver is more dense than a brick, so it seems to me that my cutting project was even more of a task than sawing a thousand bricks.

leejp
05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
That saw is really for cutting tiles, so it's not surprising that it would be a bit slow. The chop saw I mentioned cut very fast, but it was dusty of course. Because the patio was circular and the pavers were laid diagonally, a lot of cutting was required...approximately 700 cuts as a matter of fact. I believe a cast paver is more dense than a brick, so it seems to me that my cutting project was even more of a task than sawing a thousand bricks.

Right...

I had it lying around from some tilework. It was cheap enough so I thought I might just try it. To my surprise... it worked out extremely well. The cut speed was good enough for me. What was slow was cleaning up the wet brick dust after ~50 cuts or so.

kp2171
05-22-2007, 12:48 PM
my harbor freight bought chicago electric did ok enough for the curves on my patio, but i never thought i had a blade that would last much. the two $40 blades from harbor freight i thought actually did a better job than the $60 diamond blade from HD. it just warped too much and didnt last.

and yeah, i had a mask, glasses, and a lot of cleanup... the miter doesnt slide well now but again, its also a harbor freight buy that i could throw away today and have gotten my money out of.

so i'm just wondering if a more expensive blade will last dry cutting in a chop, or maybe in my portable table.... probably time just to talk to my masonry store.

leejp
05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
my harbor freight bought chicago electric did ok enough for the curves on my patio, but i never thought i had a blade that would last much. the two $40 blades from harbor freight i thought actually did a better job than the $60 diamond blade from HD. it just warped too much and didnt last.

and yeah, i had a mask, glasses, and a lot of cleanup... the miter doesnt slide well now but again, its also a harbor freight buy that i could throw away today and have gotten my money out of.

so i'm just wondering if a more expensive blade will last dry cutting in a chop, or maybe in my portable table.... probably time just to talk to my masonry store.

The el-cheapo tile wet saw was a much more pleasant experience vs dry cutting... and it never changed a blade change...

chuckcintron
05-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I was faced with a similar problem (200' driveway and parking area, using those high-PSI concrete pavers). I ended up building a brick saw. It uses an aquarium pump to circulate water onto the segmented diamond blade. I got the motor from Harbor Freight, and the arbor was ordered from Jet customer service as a replacement part from one of their table saws. I had to cut it down and mount it on steel stand-offs. It's pulley driven, using an automotive drive belt. Plexiglas blade guard and sliding table. Less than $300, including $125 for the blade alone.

I cut over 3,000 of the 13,000 bricks in the driveway, 3" thick, straight through. The blade still had over 75% life left when I was done.

If you do this, make sure you use a GFI outlet.

-Chuck

Mike Fronczak
05-22-2007, 10:04 PM
HD rental sells there stuff frequently. The one here had a brick saw (wet), for under $ 500.00, was a 1400.00 saw.

kp2171
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
chuckcintron, that is impressive ingenuity.