PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Or Ryobi?

ojtwelve
05-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Hello I am looking to buy a new trimmer and was looking at the CRAFTSMAN & the RYOBI brands. From your experiences whic one will give me more value for my money? Which is the better brand of trimmers?

Thanks

ojtwelve
05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Forgot to mention. I am looking to buy trimmer that could take the different attachments.

newz7151
05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
6 of one, half a dozen of another.

What is your intended use for this?

And by the way, the Ryobi is made by Homelite, so you might as well throw the Homelite name into your mix.

lurch
05-22-2007, 10:36 AM
commercial use?...you might as well be using a pair of scissors than one of those things...but if you must use one i would go with the ryobi...

you're gonna get tons of guys telling you to go with commercial machines...if you can't afford them then don't go with them...start with what you can a work your way up...no reason to bankrupt your business cause of one trimmer

bohiaa
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
a good echo is only like 199.00

surely if you dont have the money u can borrow it

Marek13
05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I’ve use both in past -as I always tried to save money. In the long run you loose. I still have the Ryobi with trimmer and hedge trimmer attachment. Problem with Ryobi:
1) Gas tank it located on top and its small –when I was cutting 5 accts in one day I had to fill up gas after 45 min of work. I was trimming and edging with it
2) Talking about edging-if you plan to use it to edge, get ready for frustration-because the tank is located on the top and the gas line has no filter or weight box(inside the tank) you have to keep it perfectly angled or it will starve of gas. When I was trimming and edging with it, I had to constantly fill to full tank otherwise once I hit half tank I can’t turn in sideways.
3) The head is small and doesn’t hold enough line-again if this is for your personal use ,that’s fine but once you have few lawns to trim you will be adding line very frequently.
4) Most important-the engine is on the week side so you will have to use 0.85 line –anything larger and it will vibrate and won’t cut the grass but will sort of shred it –I tried to use echo line 0.90 and you will hear the engine drop to half speed once it hits the grass with the 0.90 in it.
As far a Craftsman-I had an older model and it was heavy and the head was very difficult to load and was small-I returned it after 10 days of use-that was about 6 years ago so they might of comm. Long way.

If you plan to use it for your personal use- I would go with Ryobi. I am no professional/commercial landscaper but I have about 40 lawns and when I was starting I always though –every time I ask about something every one started this –BUY commercial spend top dollar. I always went with the low end brands-now I rather wait and get commercial quality stuff.
If I may recommend I use Toro Pro-line string trimmer that I bought it in ACE Hardware for $143 made in Japan –Head and gear box is made in Italy-never been happier.

Grits
05-22-2007, 12:31 PM
UUMMMM.........Neither.
Echo.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-22-2007, 01:02 PM
both will let you down in short order...... spend more now to reap long term benefits like reliability and longevity.......

ojtwelve
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I am planning on using this for personal/home use. Whatever item it is, I am looking for something that will last me a long time. Do not want to continue buying new trimmers every 2-3 years.

jkitterman
05-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I have a Ryobi for home use and it is fine. I did have to replace a flywheel the first year due to it cracking. You are better off posting questions like this in the Homeowner forum if it is personal use.

BQLC
05-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I am planning on using this for personal/home use. Whatever item it is, I am looking for something that will last me a long time. Do not want to continue buying new trimmers every 2-3 years.

go with Echo it will last you

sgl41377
05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Buy a Stihl, they are worth the money. They even have one that has attachments.

green horizons
05-22-2007, 07:57 PM
This is funny. Modern Craftsman and Ryobi are really geared towards homeowner. But I own an old (OLD) Ryobi Professional powerhead, split boom. It competes very well with my other "commercial" units. I can still buy parts for it. It starts, runs, performs as well as any commercial powerhead, but when I go to get parts, I always get the same look... Ryobi????

Military Lawns
05-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Thought I have all Echo, I started with a Ryobi and let me tell you that trimmer has been one tough SOB! I agree with someone who said it does not hold much string, but there are heads that are interchangeable that can be purchased. Anyhow, Ryobi for me....Echo if you have the loot$$

MLL-

Vikings
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Craftsman make such great tools with lifetime warranties so they don't put the same care into other products?

4curbappeal
05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
a good echo is only like 199.00

surely if you dont have the money u can borrow it

A good Echo is around $300, but I would spend $169 on the entry Echo trimmer before Ryobi or Craftsman.

Lawnboy85
05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
commercial use?...you might as well be using a pair of scissors than one of those things...

Haha! I couldn't have said it better myself. Scissors would be cheaper...

Grits
05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
This is funny. Modern Craftsman and Ryobi are really geared towards homeowner. But I own an old (OLD) Ryobi Professional powerhead, split boom. It competes very well with my other "commercial" units. I can still buy parts for it. It starts, runs, performs as well as any commercial powerhead, but when I go to get parts, I always get the same look... Ryobi????

Ryobi products used to be good years ago. But, not unlike nearly everything, time seems tho cheapen the products.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-23-2007, 06:56 AM
If you buy a comercial grade item now and only use it for one lawn.....It will outlast you.......I have a SHindiawa T230 I bought in 1998...... 20-30 lawn per week, this being the nineth year. It has needed work once. It always starts on the 2-3 pull.....