PDA

View Full Version : Briggs& Stratton won't run---Help

bbahun
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Alright here is some of the facts model is a 171432, Type 0521 Code 86021309 it is on a sod cutter. I rebuilt the carb because it would not run smooth and now I can't get it to run very long at all. I tried the initial settings on the carb of 1 1/2 turns out on both screws and it will not stat at all. If I turn the main jet screw out about 2 1/2 -3 turns it will start and run. Once it is running I let it warm up and try to set the carb by turning the screws until it seems to run rough and then find the mid point and it will stay running. As soon as I put a load on it it dies. Or it will take the load and run for may be a minute and then dies. The RPM's will start bouncing some times when I put it under a load and the only way to make it smooth out it seem like is to lean the main jet out but then it does not continue to run smooth. I don't know if there is something else wrong with the carb or something all together different. It just seems extremely sensative with adjustments. Any ideas? Thanks---Ben

Restrorob
05-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Try this; Open the top (low speed) adjuster 1 turn, The bottom (high Speed) adjuster 2 turns. If the carb. is right it should start up, Then let warm up at idle and adjust the low speed first. Then throttle up wide open and adjust the high speed.

If this doesn't work shout back.

Bill Kapaun
05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
IF I understand you correctly, you are setting the High Speed Jet when not under load?
IF so, take the approach of best performance when under load. That typically means you'll have to screw the jet out a bit more.
Did you replace the intake gasket? A vacuum leak will result in having to set the jets out more turns than "normal".
Another problem I have ran into is-when doing carb work, disconecting fuel lines often results in little "chunks" of debris breaking off from the inside part of the line. IF you don't "flush" the line before reinstalling the carb, they end up in the carb.

bbahun
05-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will give this a try and report back.