PDA

View Full Version : Scag/27HP kaw shuts off

red91z
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I've got a scag mower with the 27HP kawasaki engine. We had it to the local dealer due to one cylinder being down. After 2 months with no repair we picked the mower up and found one of the coils bad (coil 2) replaced the coil and the mower ran perfect for 2-3 hours. Now it acts as though it has a fuel problem. With the blades engaged it will run for about 2 minutes and then chokes out and dies. If you choke it quickly it will run for a bit but only if you click the blades out. It's had a fuel pump and filter recently installed and I took the carb apart this morning and cleaned the bowl etc. Any other suggestions?

Bill Kapaun
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
A couple new spark plugs would be an inexpensive way to throw money at it. Worst case, is you have new plugs installed and a couple "used spares".
IF you have a pump type oil can, squirt a bit of gas in the carb throat when the engine exhibits the problem. That should give you an idea if it's a fuel delivery problem. Did you use a "no name" fuel filter? Some are fine and some aren't.

red91z
05-22-2007, 02:04 PM
The plugs were replaced when we replaced the coil. The filter was supplied by the dealer so I'm not sure what brand it is. I've run the fuel pump in a jug and it seems to be working fine.