PDA

View Full Version : How can one tell if your fuel pump went bad on a Brigg Vanguard motor?

Lawn Killer
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Hello every one I have a cub Cadet 2521 with a 54" deck, it has a 21hp vanguard Model 381774: Type 0306I7: Code 03122211: Family YBSXS.6272HN 274838. I just repult the carb and got it all back together started cutting my yard and with in two hours My motor started to sputter and then died. the Shut off silanoid works for I hear it click when I turn the key. I was able to limp it back to my shed using carb cleaner for fuel (yes it work is a pinch). The carb is not getting fuel. The filter does not have much fuel in it and I do not know how to check if the pump is bad. I am thinking of putting on an electric fuel pump but not sure about this.

So,
1 how can I check the fuel pump to see if it still works?
2 Are thes Cub known to have fuel tank problems?
3 if something is in the tank how can one check it with out taking the
whole tractor apart to get to the tank.
4 what is a good commercial fuel pump that will work on this motor
(I am tired of this home version stuff.)

anyway thank for all of your help
Frank

Restrorob
05-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Remove the fuel line going to the carb, Hold a container under the line and crank the engine over. If it's good it will give a impulse of fuel.

Stick with the factory fuel pump if it's found to be bad.

Also, You may want to check the gas cap vent, The only way to properly flush this tank is to remove it from the unit. It really isn't as bad as it looks.

Bill Kapaun
05-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Whenever removing a fuel line for carb work or filter change, there's always a chance of some crud breaking loose. IF you don't "flush" the line before reattaching it. Did you use a "no name" filter. Some of those are good and some aren't.

Lawn Killer
05-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Rob
I will check this fuel pump out tonight.
I already sprayed the fuel tank cap with carb cleanner to clean it.
Knowing my luck I sealed the vents by doing this.

Bill
I used a Briggs tune up kit. It came with ever thing, filters, spark plugs and oil.