PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Before Heavy Rain

CJMLS
05-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I figured I'd share this one. I never experienced this before. Luckily is was my house and not a cleint. I finished up the days work early and had 2 employees with me and figured I'd have them mulch my property since I already had 6 yards dumped in my driveway. As we were cleaning it it began to rain. That night we had one of the heaviest rains we had in a long time. To make a long story short, when the rain passed and the mulch dryed, most of the black dye washed off. The nursery claimed it is because the mulch had no time to cure.

Anyone ever experience this?

carcrz
05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
I'd try to get them to replace it.

rodfather
05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=CJMLS;1838341The nursery claimed it is because the mulch had no time to cure.

Anyone ever experience this?[/QUOTE]

That is crap. Dyed mulch is gonna lose its color no matter what and very quickly vs. natural or cedar.

Pastaboy62
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
the place where I get my mulch says if you are buying dyed mulch and it is going to rain within 24 hours that it will run and not to put it down.

rodfather
05-22-2007, 07:09 PM
the place where I get my mulch says if you are buying dyed mulch and it is going to rain within 24 hours that it will run and not to put it down.

are they spraying it the same time they are loading it? :laugh:

Stuttering Stan
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I have heard that it takes time for the dye to cure. it makes sense, since it is sprayed in, it needs time to set. The inside of the mulch pile is hot and moist, therefore it takes longer to cure.

packer101
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
do they keep there mulch indoors? i dont know of many nuserys that would sell much that looses it color that fast. the black we sell is natural so the color wont wash off, and the dyed we do have slighty looses some dye but you can still tell its red. id say its probably low quality.

sheshovel
05-23-2007, 04:37 AM
I agree with rodfather on this, it never really "cures" or sets. The color will wash off eventually no matter what. 6 yards is a whole lot of dye and you had heavy rain, and you just noticed it more because it was in your driveway in a big pile and not installed 3"thick over soil.