PDA

View Full Version : scag 17hp kawi problems

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
ok guys picked this little gem up at a homeowners. Son starter a lawn care service and i was just sitting in his shop. I paid a smooth $100.00 for it. put gas in it pulled and it fired right up. It was running like crap. i changed plugs one was wet one was black and dry. Then i noticed gas dripping out of the carb. i cleaned it but it is still dripping out. i also noticed oil blowing by one of the plugs??? did i just waste a 100 bucks or can this mower be saved!!!!

Restrorob
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
The carb. needs a new float needle valve installed, It most likely flooded the cylinder is why one plug was wet.

Clean carb. again with carb. & choke spray cleaner and replace the needle valve, Flush tank and fuel lines then install a new fuel filter and plugs. Change the oil (could have fuel contamination from flooding) then see how it runs.

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 08:37 PM
thanks man but what part of the carb can i find the float needle valve

Restrorob
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
You have to remove the float to replace it, You may as well go ahead and replace the bowl seal while your there.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FH500VCarbBreakdownFloatValve.jpg

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 09:00 PM
man your awesome. i take it i can order a new one from j-thomas?

Restrorob
05-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I didn't see any listing at J-thomas, But you can get them here;

http://www.rcpw.com/search/kawasaki_search.htm

Enter these numbers in the find box then add to cart.

16030-2067 Float Valve
11060-2406 Bowl Gasket

ashs inc
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
man your awesome. I got a bunch of other stuff i need work on!!!!!! i might be asking for some more advise soon! thanks again!

ashs inc
05-24-2007, 09:05 AM
ok took the carb off how do you take that shaft off that holds the float on to get to the float valve?

ashs inc
05-24-2007, 10:21 AM
ok heres the pic. I dont see how to get that pin out???

Restrorob
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Use a small nail or something and LIGHTLY tap the end of the pin closest to your hand rail post, Once it's out a little it will slide easily the rest of the way.
Then re-install and LIGHTLY tap back in, If hit too hard one of the float hanger fingers could be broken off.

ashs inc
05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
rob your the man. I will try that. once the pin is out. then what?? will the valve unscrew?

Restrorob
05-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Just the needle with the little clip on the end (circled in pic) will drop out of the fuel inlet port. This little rubber tipped (float "needle" valve) is the only piece you will need to replace along with the bowl gasket if you want to do it right and have no leaks down the road.

Make sure when installing the new needle you get the little wire clip slid onto the center area of the float or you will have a low fuel level in the carb bowl and possibly a no run situation.

Mark in MD
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Don't mean to barge in. RestroRob is right on. Just thought I'd add that it's possible a tiny piece of dirt stuck within the chamber of the needle valve part is causing the lack of proper movement of the needle valve. It's possible that removing the speck of dirt might solve the problem without having to order/replace the needle valve.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Restrorob
05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
You are right about a piece of trash Mark, But I didn't go there because of the below statement.

Then i noticed gas dripping out of the carb. i cleaned it but it is still dripping out.

Mark in MD
05-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Fair enough. I had an experience last fall where a speck of dirt was caught in that needle valve champer. The only way to get the speck out was to remove the needle valve and blow it out. Not sure if "cleaned it" included that.

Thanks for all your help in various threads, Rob