PDA

View Full Version : salamanders

lawnservice
05-22-2007, 07:37 PM
have a customer who says she gets 'tons' of salamanders and they get into her inground pool....eewww. She just opened her pool and they were already in the pool hanging at the bottom of the deep end. Her pool guy told her to call her 'lawn guy' so I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with her.

i have never come across this one before. any ideas on getting control of these amphibians?

PS...she said her lawn looks great!:)

ampeg76
05-22-2007, 09:11 PM
lol, thats a new one!

maybe find out what their food source is and try to take care of that!

they are harmless, maybe the lady should just make some new friends:)

Kate Butler
05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
And, in many areas, certain kinds are federally protected. Be sure and determine which sort they are before you do anything drastic.

lawnservice
05-24-2007, 07:34 AM
thanks for the replys, because salamanders are not exactly in our area of expertise and they dont cause issues with the turf we have asked the customer to refer to their structual pest control people (who will probably tell them to call us?)

sgoalie23
05-24-2007, 09:33 AM
I own an in-ground pool and I can speak from experience. At one time it was frogs, then for two years it was Mallard ducks. The issue is when the pool is first opened, the water chemistry is that of a pond. Once the chemistry is changed to that of a swimming pool, the problem goes away. I think it is the smell or "taste" of the water that keeps the critters out. Good Luck.
Mark

upidstay
05-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Tell her you'll be over with a big snake that will eat the salamanders...

Ric
05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I own an in-ground pool and I can speak from experience. At one time it was frogs, then for two years it was Mallard ducks. The issue is when the pool is first opened, the water chemistry is that of a pond. Once the chemistry is changed to that of a swimming pool, the problem goes away. I think it is the smell or "taste" of the water that keeps the critters out. Good Luck.
Mark

BINGO We have a winner.

ed2hess
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
And, in many areas, certain kinds are federally protected. Be sure and determine which sort they are before you do anything drastic.
The green wee-knees have convinced the city of Austin that the last saladmaders live in our Barton Springs and hence no more building should occur.....battle been going on for 20 years. Maybe you can send our city a note and tell them the good news.

Nathan Robinson
05-24-2007, 09:46 PM
get a cat?!

americanlawn
05-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Dry up the area the best you can. Eliminate organic matter whenever possible. Clean up leaves regularly. These babies like wet/organic areas. Please don't kill these little guys, cuz they need a home too.