PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do bee control?

lawnbridge
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I was wodering if anyone of you do bee control? I live in a small town of 3,000 and I was talking to a man from the city and he said they get 10 calls a week about bees. What do you spray, chemical and equipment, protective suit, and how much do you charge?

A.T.A.K
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I charge 275.00 min. Depends on where they are located I have good luck with Drione dust in a power duster (B&G or Power Puff). I buy My sting suits from Dadant. Man 10 a week thats a good amount of money I do about 10-15 a month. If I got that many year round it is all I would do.

Ric
05-23-2007, 12:04 AM
lawnbridge

ATAK got me set up in the bee business. He is the guy you want to listen too or ask question.

A.T.A.K
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks Ric

sheshovel
05-23-2007, 11:21 AM
WAIT! Bees are in a major crisis throughout the county right now. Colonies are being devastated by a strange phenomena that causes them to abandon their colonies. Bees and their colonies are disappearing in major numbers. This situation is critical! I urge you strongly NOT to kill any bees or have them killed. Call your state Bee Keepers association and they will have someone come remove and relocate the bees. Or they will know who to contact.
It is vital that bees be protected and not killed, for without bees we loose most native flora and a big part of our food production capabilities as well as the honey industry. Please search for other methods of handling Bees problems, ones that insure the bee's survival.
I repeat, this situation is critical and extremely important!

Ric
05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Shovel

I should let Tim (ATAK) reply to you on this one. He is the bee expert in my mind and has published articles in PCO magazine from time to time.

The importance of Bees in our ecology can not be understated. Much like Frog monitoring is important to water Quality management, the bee is to entomology. About 6 months ago the current Bee decline was brought to my attention. Scientist are at a loss as to the reason. Apparently worker bees are leaving the hive for their daily route and not returning. The fact that scientist can not find these bees is one of the reasons they are unable to find the reason for it. I am told by Bee keepers Pyrethroids are particularly a problem with Bee Colonies. Today we are using mostly Pyrethroids instead of the older Organophosphates. However in the case of Pyrethroids, the Bees are carrying it back to the hive where it wipes out the Colony.

Bees have been in trouble for quite a while now with the Africa Bees invading. Africa Bees have the same live cycle as European Bees and will inter breed, with the exception they are very Antagonistic and attack mammals causing great harm and even death. Bee keepers have been fighting the Africa bee for quite a while now. Therefore Africa Bee control in homes and structures is a must for public safety. The Africa Bee is an Exotic pests that we need to control. In light of the current Bee decline I am sure those who subscribe to the Silent Spring Theory will use this to try and ban all chemicals.

"Silent Spring" By Rachel Carson was written back in the 50's. Al Gore has written a forward to that book and it is currently in publication as the Tree Hugger Bible.

Mr. Forceô, Billy Goat Industries
05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm actually a beekeeper who's been doing it a couple of years. As for CCD (Colony Collapse Disease) it's not known what's causing it but they are starting to focus on an illness that may go after colonies under stress. For the most part it's the large-scale beekeepers who are having the problems. Hobbyists, such as myself are not running into the problem. We don't move our hives for pollination rentals so there's isn't the stress of moving.

Capturing a swarm or hiving a hive that's not where it's supposed to be is a great thing for a beekeeper. There's actual a listing of beek's that do this as well. http://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=263 ATAK is dead on with a normal charge. You do need some equipment and a stiff resolution. "Cut-outs" where you cut them out of houses are a completely different charge. A full size hive is 80,000 bees. They will get your attention when they are angry.

Also, if you are going to kill a hive, please remember, what's left behind is honey, brood, and wax. The brood is going to rot, the honey will bring in other insects, and the wax will draw in wax moths. If this is in an out building that may be fine but if it's in the walls of a house you will end up with a VERY unhappy customer when summer hits.

If you can, allow a beek to capture the hive just to capture the "survivor" genes. Some charge, some are just happy to get a hive. I'm in the second column. I let the person who bird-dogged the hive get paid by the person who wants it gone if a charge has been agreed upon.

Contrary to most people beliefs, honeybees are not native to the America's. Native plant species in native environments are normally pollinated just fine by native means. It's the large-scale operations that need copious amount of pollinators to handle even native species that are densely planted.

A.T.A.K
05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Please pay attention I will only post this once. Most of your concerns are valid But please if you do not operate where Africanized Honey Bees are do not post in this thread you will get someone killed. Not to belittle some of you, I know you have dealt with bees for 600 years and you know everything there is to know about bees. If you have not dealt with AHB I urge you not to post. With that said I will touch on some of your concerns. Your first concern decline most of us know where it is coming from fipronil and imidacloprid, both from a class of compounds called neonicotinoids. These insecticides can be applied to the soil directly or used as a seed coating. They are attractive to farmers because they provide gradual release throughout the plant's maturation. Theoretically, the chemicals are gone by the time the plant flowers. In practice this is not happening. Furthermore, French research has shown that fipronil persists in the environment and traces of the compound have been found in the air and the food chain. There is enough info for you to research on your own on this matter. Second concern DONíT kill the bees once again you do not operate around or with AHB most states and beekeepers who do will tell you all feral hives are to be considered AHB and be destroyed. You can not tame them nor try to collect them. If AHB are found in a beekeepers hives they must bee requeened or destroyed. I try to help people who want to learn Most people who see big $ in bee work jump right in and get hurt. When you get to deal with AHB you will find out why they need to be destroyed they are overtaking our EHB which yield more bees and Honey. As for treating them I will be glad to help Just PM me I sure a lot will disagree with me so what I have done more bee jobs than any 10 people on this board and I am still alive for one reason I study them. If you donít good luck and I will look for you in the obituarys.

dKoester
05-24-2007, 11:06 PM
We have had a hive on the ground for the past two weeks at one of our jobs. You can stand within a foot of these bees and they won't bother you. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

Ric
05-25-2007, 01:20 AM
We have had a hive on the ground for the past two weeks at one of our jobs. You can stand within a foot of these bees and they won't bother you. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

dKoester

European and African Honey Bees are two different things. African Bees might be compared to a Rabbied Pit Bull. Best to stay away from all bees unless you know what you are dealing with. Even with a bee suit on you can get stung. European Honey Bees are fairly gentle if you don't mess with them.

dKoester
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
I don't know of any killer bees in the state of Virginia, but we do have fire ants. Hopefully those bees will find a home.

ArizPestWeed
05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
I ahve always said that Termidor will do away with social insects and life , all life will come to an end .
The food chain will stop if the flowers are not pollinated .

Ain't that right Ric , huh?

Ric
05-25-2007, 02:07 AM
I ahve always said that Termidor will do away with social insects and life , all life will come to an end .
The food chain will stop if the flowers are not pollinated .

Ain't that right Ric , huh?

Airhead

I believe that has already been said in this post. The AI of Termidor is Fipronil and if you read both Tim's (ATAK) and Mr. Force posts and understand it, Then they have already made your point. BTW By Label law it is illegal to apply Termidor except to Structures.

ArizPestWeed
05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Airhead

I believe that has already been said in this post. The AI of Termidor is Fipronil and if you read both Tim's (ATAK) and Mr. Force posts and understand it, Then they have already made your point. BTW By Label law it is illegal to apply Termidor except to Structures.

Farmers use to treat crops , little man ,..
You did not know that? Geeez