PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Landscape Illuminating
05-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi guys,

I need to set up some sort of insurance. If some of you guys could offer some tips, or advice regarding what you have, that would be great.

What type of insurance are you using? Are you getting it locally, or through an online vendor? What do you have for coverage? What are you paying for this coverage?

If any of these questions are offensive, or reserved for PM's I do apologize. Please respond via PM's if need be.

Thanks guys,
LI

David Gretzmier
05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
my guy is local, he is an insurance broker, shopped several different insurance companies and came up with my package. bases my rates on my payroll cost. 1 million $ general liability, 250,000 property damage, and workman's comp are what I have. the total package costs me around 7-8 grand a year, goes up every year because payroll and exposure goes up every year.

Pro-Scapes
05-23-2007, 10:20 AM
we use MS farm buearu for all our insurance needs (well mostly) Great rates... local offices... great agent.

2 million gen liability 500k prop damage. They got us clasiffied as lawn and landscape company and landscape gardening and it states in the policy low voltage lighting is ok as long as we do not wire the line voltage.

Its under 500 a year for us.

Eden Lights
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
It sounds like PS has his covered, but most Lighting companies do not have proper insurance should you every have a claim or have a audit. When getting quotes request that your policey spell out what you are doing. Most landscape policies will not cover damage to the home in case of an lighting system malfunction.

NightScenes
05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
We have a local broker and our company is The Hartford. We carry $3mil in general liability and $1mil in property damage. We also carry workmans comp, which is not required in Texas. We have $1mil on our company trucks as well. We are listed in the landscape section, which my agent told me was best for my business. Our premiums come out to around $12k a year for all of it.

Chris J
05-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Whoa! You guys may need to do some more shopping around for insurance rates. I'm not inclined to discuss what I'm paying, but it is a whole lot less than some of these figures. I will say that I am a member of the Florida Farm Bureau, and I think Billy has the same company just a different state chapter. We do have similar policy limits, but your prices are way out of line.
You could probably get a very nice raise if you research this a bit more...
Hope this helps!

NightScenes
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Chris, this is for all of the insurance that I have. My general liability is about $60 a month. My workers comp is pretty pricey but it's that way everywhere. Then you have vehicle insurance on 3 trucks, full coverage and a $mil coverage. I think I'm getting pretty good prices but I will do some checking now.

Eden Lights
05-29-2007, 12:33 AM
It sounds like PS has his covered, but most Lighting companies do not have proper insurance should you every have a claim or have a audit. When getting quotes request that your policey spell out what you are doing. Most landscape policies will not cover damage to the home in case of an lighting system malfunction.

I am with Hartford, when I asked that my install summary be listed on my policey things changed alot. I was told that if you attach to the dwelling in anyway you are not covered by a LS policey. This is just a FYI and may not be the case for you.

NightScenes
05-29-2007, 08:19 AM
I am with Hartford, when I asked that my install summary be listed on my policey things changed alot. I was told that if you attach to the dwelling in anyway you are not covered by a LS policey. This is just a FYI and may not be the case for you.

So are you listed under electrical? My agent may need to change this.

Chris J
05-29-2007, 09:47 AM
The way they classify you for workers comp will make a huge difference. We used to pay a huge amount for WC, but we are now classified under a different category. I'll try to get that listing for you so you will know what to ask for.

Pro-Scapes
05-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Paul I would think you would be in a different boat anyways as you said you sometimes install line voltage too. Our policy states LOW VOLTAGE lighting

David Gretzmier
05-29-2007, 09:53 PM
my WC policy is under electricians, for the Christmas Lights and Landscape lights. Since electricians get on ladders, etc, it works for us. I think I am paying around 7% of my payroll costs, for WC it doesn't get too much cheaper than that if you get on a ladder or roof around here.

my liablility and property is around 100 per month, It would be much higher if I went higher on property damage.

I've already shopped last year, my guy was the cheapest.