PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Ear Muffs w/ AM FM--Any good?

WJW Lawn
05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Any of you use the Work Tunes-Ear Muffs w/ AM FM made by Stihl??? I know they are new-- My dealer had some in his shop today and said they were selling like hotcakes. Some D*** stole my Elvex Quietunes (Good luck to him since I still have the charger)...but I wanted to see if the Stihl Muffs were any good? Thoughts appreciated! :drinkup:

ProStreetCamaro
05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I am curious as to who actually makes them. If they are made by peltor I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole. If they are elvex they should be very good.

http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/apparel/worktunes.jpg

WJW Lawn
05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Thats a good question...and I couldnt find anything on Stihls website. Does anyone know?? I loved my Elvex...so I may just order me another pair from PowerEquipment Warehouse. Maybe I'll email Stihl.

I know they run about 80 bucks

mcwlandscaping
05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I just checked out those elvex headsets, i don't really like the peltors but i do like those a lot!!

here is the link for anyone else who may be interested in them!!
http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/elvex-m-82.html

WJW Lawn
05-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Well before some jerk stole my Elvex Quietunes...I loved em! Actually I won them from Powerequipment warehouse...so...I think I'll just order another pair.

lawn and stump
05-23-2007, 12:54 PM
just bought them today pd $ 75. The on-off is a dial that does the volume also. I like that you can hear it click to off. my old peltors would get left on because the button had no indication of it's statis.

WJW Lawn
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I found out Logrite makes them. Hey Lawn and Stump...do you like em so far?? Good sound? Comfortable? all that?

john w
05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
My peltors(i have two) have horrible reception. How is it with the Elvex or the stihl?

WJW Lawn
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
The reception with the Elvex Quietunes was great! Dont know about the Stihls...Im hoping someone will chime in with some details on Stihl

CutApproved
05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Powerequipment warehouse has them on sale for $68.88

ProStreetCamaro
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
The reception with the Elvex Quietunes was great! Dont know about the Stihls...Im hoping someone will chime in with some details on Stihl

Yes the elvex has great reception! I have had 2 pairs of Elvex and 1 pair of peltors and that 1 pair was 1 to many pairs of peltors. Poor reception, Would never stay on a station, and they didnt muffle the mower sound nearly as good as the Elvex headphones do.

WJW Lawn
05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Yea...still no word on Stihl though lol

lawn and stump
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I used them all afternoon and they hold the stations real good.my peltors would switch stations when you turned sideways.
They seem quiet and I like them much better than the peltors.
My peltors were getting left on and the batterys were dead because you had no way of telling if it was off. the Stihl has a rotary volume and off switch.

ZX12R
05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I have been debating on whether or not to buy a set because I am afraid I won't be able to hear music over the lawnmower and back blowers.

Stillwater
05-24-2007, 04:21 AM
do it right go buy a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort head phones it cansels the sound of the mower compleately and gives you some serious sounding phones

Matts lawn care
05-24-2007, 06:39 AM
I was at home depot and needed a new set of head phones and came across "worktunes". When i got home i read this thread. It seems that i just bought a set of peltor! I will give my review on Friday.

Jake's Lawn Service
05-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Do the Elvex's from Power Equipment warehouse come with am too
Jake

grass disaster
05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
which set of Elvex's is better the rechargable set or the standard?? they seem to be somewhat different???????????????

kreft
05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I just put my i-pod in my ear muffs!
Works GREAT!!!!

coif_kid
05-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I have had them for 3 weeks. Absolutely amazing reception and noise dampening ability. One of the best buys ever made in this business.

joed
05-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I bought a pair of the Stihl Radio Earphones last summer and they are fantastic. The sound is terrific and the dampening is excellent. It really cuts out the noise of the mowers. I haven't had any problem hearing the radio with the mowers own. Highly reccomend them. Great investment

ed2hess
05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I bought a pair of the Stihl Radio Earphones last summer and they are fantastic. The sound is terrific and the dampening is excellent. It really cuts out the noise of the mowers. I haven't had any problem hearing the radio with the mowers own. Highly reccomend them. Great investment
Do you put them under or over a baseball cap? Aren't they extremely hot in the summer?

deerex
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I think I found what I have been looking for. Anyone tried these?http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/raiseawihepr.html

FearThisDeere
05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I might have to pick me up a set of those Stihl ones. I've been thinking about buying something like that, but have never really trusted that they would work well. I think you all might have convinced me other wise.

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
The Bose headsets are indeed a great item, but kind of pricey and not really durable enough for rugged use. The Elvex speak for themselves, a great product. We also have a brand new item that uses the same technology as Bose, but in a safety headset. These things have small microphones in the earcups that listen to the incoming sound and then create an exact opposite sound wave to eliminate the noise. The amazing thing is when you sit on a mower with the blades engaged wearing them, you can hear someone talk to you in a normal speaking tone. No matter what you choose, it is a smart idea to use hearing protection.

Mike

FearThisDeere
06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
The amazing thing is when you sit on a mower with the blades engaged wearing them, you can hear someone talk to you in a normal speaking tone.

That is crazy!

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
06-01-2007, 08:05 PM
That is crazy!
Amazing? Yes. Crazy? I guess. All I know is that whenever anyone sits on a Z and tries these headsets their mouths drop open in amazement. AND, yes they can hear me talk to them in a normal tone of voice.

Mike

Grass Cake
06-01-2007, 09:35 PM
We also have a brand new item that uses the same technology as Bose, but in a safety headset. These things have small microphones in the earcups that listen to the incoming sound and then create an exact opposite sound wave to eliminate the noise. The amazing thing is when you sit on a mower with the blades engaged wearing them, you can hear someone talk to you in a normal speaking tone. No matter what you choose, it is a smart idea to use hearing protection.

Mike

link please?

jsf343
06-02-2007, 12:49 AM
link please?

check www.bose.com I think it would be pretty nice to have those in the field as well, but they are over $300.00 for a pair and do not look like the type of headphones that would hold up to the harsh conditions that most folks would put them through, maybe I am wrong though. (I am talking about heat, cold, rain, sweaty heads, being dropped, etc.) They do look nice and from what I have heard do sound SWEET! I may get some for home, plane rides that type of thing.

By the way, I ordered the Stihl's today, they will be here early next week. $74.00 out here. I will let you guys know next week how they are. I am anxious to try them. My dealer did not know a thing about them until today when I mentioned this site and specifically this thread. :laugh:

have a great weekend folks!

Jeff

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
06-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I don't have these online yet, we are currently just selling them in our retail stores. If you send me a PM or email mikel@docut.com I will send you information regarding these.

Mike

FearThisDeere
06-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Amazing? Yes. Crazy? I guess.

Sorry, I meant crazy cool not crazy like nuthouse crazy lol.

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
06-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Not to worry, I'm comfortable with being called both!!

Mike

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Okay, here is the link to the NoiseCutter noise canceling headsets.

Mike

http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/noisecutterencsafetyheadset-p-47469.html

FearThisDeere
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Those are a lot cheaper than I thought that they'd be. I used a set made by Peltor today and they worked pretty well IMO. I can't wait to see what the better ones sound like.