PDA

View Full Version : How many snake casualties?

green-pa
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I've now hit 2 small snakes ( about 2 inch in diameter and 12-16 inches ) each, with my trimmer. Both were near the side of the house of residents that let their grass get too high. I was really sad that it happened. I'm not a total snake lover but I like most all animals and have a turtle. It haunted me for the rest of the day as I know it took it a while to die. :cry:

RossP
05-22-2007, 11:38 PM
couple days ago i was mowing a residential yard and must have rode over a small hole in the ground because a little rabbit jumped out and i ran him right over. i felt HORRIBLE and it put it in the shade to die. that incident haunted me all day i couldnt stop thinkin about it. its too bad

workinallthetime
05-22-2007, 11:40 PM
3 copper heads
2 cotton mouths
and who knows how many i mowed over
that was since last tuesday.
the only good snake is a dead snake, the copper heads were at a house with 3 small kids living next door.

FinerCutslawnCare
05-22-2007, 11:41 PM
All together with the crew we have hit only four. I was mowing next to a house and hit a big one, of course it flew out in a million peices and stuck all over the side of this white house...it wasn't fun cleaning it up!

green-pa
05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
It's ironic u mention that in a way. My girlfriend and I just found a baby bunny at this put-put golf course. A cat had already cornered it under a bush and was playing with it. I saved it for her. I knew it probably couldn't be saved without it's mother. She pleaded with me. So I let her have it and got it for her. It died in like 36 hours. Not sure if it was from the cat doing damage to it, missing it's mother, or too much milk mixture we fed it. That was just yesterday we buried it. Yeah, it's sad. Poor little animals. :cry:

green-pa
05-22-2007, 11:47 PM
3 copper heads
2 cotton mouths
the only good snake is a dead snake, the copper heads were at a house with 3 small kids living next door.

Yeah. I wouldn't feel bad about those since they are poisoness and especially since they were living near kids. I just hate seeing harmless animals killed for no good reason.

skinnydogz
05-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Lawnmower 1
Weedeater 1
Snakes 0

My mowers and weedeaters seem to have the better score

green-pa
05-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Lawnmower 1
Weedeater 1
Snakes 0

My mowers and weedeaters seem to have the better score

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bohiaa
05-23-2007, 07:51 AM
3 copper heads
2 cotton mouths

sounds like you have them as bad as we do.....

I still have those fang marks on my leg

dannyboy20
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes the only good snake is a dead snake. Snakes serve no purpose except for scaring the s*** out of you because you dont see them until you are on top of them. I absoutely hate snakes.

cgaengineer
05-23-2007, 10:17 AM
I hit a black snake last week...I am the type of fellow that relocates any snakes I find including poisonous ones and I was a bit upset about the snake I hit.

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-23-2007, 12:51 PM
6 red belly mocassins this year so far. One of them bit me last year while I was running the trimmer, although not poisoness enough to kill me, it made me feel like I wanted to die for about 3 days...Kill them everytime I see one. Rabbits are no unusual occurance here. I hate cleaning the deck on the end of those days....Can't really say I feel bad about it, cause if there was something huge and noisy getting ready to run over me, I think I would run away.....

greatlawns
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
6 red belly mocassins this year so far. One of them bit me last year while I was running the trimmer, although not poisoness enough to kill me, it made me feel like I wanted to die for about 3 days...Kill them everytime I see one. Rabbits are no unusual occurance here. I hate cleaning the deck on the end of those days....Can't really say I feel bad about it, cause if there was something huge and noisy getting ready to run over me, I think I would run away.....

Well, I guess those poor defenseless rabbits you hit are not as smart as you :hammerhead:

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
OK, I dont aim specifically for them:nono: However, in tall grass I cannot see them. They can see and here the mower coming. I do understand the lack of ability to reason, so in a sense they are defenseless. Also, dogs do not have the ability to reason so they are supposedly defenseless too right? That being said, why isnt anyone talking about the poor little dog they ran over yesterday. If I run a rabbit over, it is not intentional but deffinately not gonna cause me to loose any sleep...

BBL
05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
through my jobs, I have hit only a few snakes(by accident) that I know of.

When I would do peoples yards when I worked for my old company though, there were usually Bears all around, which are a bit harder to beat up with a weed whip :)

greatlawns
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
No, weedwhackers don't work for bears.

For bears, you just chase after them with the blower. They don't like air blown on them. :laugh:

...just kidding...don't ever run with a blower

BBL
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
yeh, that's a sure way to get mauled :laugh:

Swampy
05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't know what our count is up to this year but the only snakes I see are grass snakes. Most of the time if I see one I'll pull up next to it, with the vibrations that the diesel motor makes it will scare them off.

I remember crushing a bunnies nest. Which I did feel bad about. But the bad thing was it was outside of this elementary school, all the kids found it and starting to scream that killed the easter bunny's babies. D'oh :eek:

I pick up all the dead animals that come across and walk them out to the field to place them behind a tree or brush. So far this year at two HOA accounts its been a lot of birds. There is a wildlife sanctuary that flanks both of them. I'm thinking that Cardinals and Blue Jay's are moving in. Which I hope they don't because there is a massive Hawk that living in there, I see his shadow cast of about 6ft, searching for ground critters that we kick up. Birds of Prey = Awesome.

Swampy
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
But the new animal I love is a wood chuck, yeah when they burrow they can kill trees and shrubs. But with a account with a fruit or berry baring tree or shrub they clean up the mess.

C&K
05-23-2007, 06:11 PM
While I'm not a "snake expert", I have heard that black snakes = no poisonous snakes. Anyone know if this is true or just a myth?

KTO Enterprises
05-23-2007, 06:19 PM
While I'm not a "snake expert", I have heard that black snakes = no poisonous snakes. Anyone know if this is true or just a myth?

some black snakes can be Water moccasins depending on your location. Very poisonous and VERY aggressive!

I tend to hit a lot of animals while bush hogging. rabbits and depending on how low the land is or close to a bog i will catch the occasional turtle. Lots of snakes. rattlers, copper heads and water moccasins. usually 10 of each a year

Woody82986
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I killed three copperheads just today while I was knocking down some tall grass in a field that skirts the back area of a client's property. I hate snakes... if anything, I speed up when I see them.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
We're up to 8 on one property, 18 all together. I have my guys keep up with it because some customers ask. The property with 8 is a church with a private school and all 8 have been on the school play area, three of which were baby copperheads. Kind of scary, but the headmaster didn't seem to bat an eye.

BBL
05-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Some black snakes are very dangerous. Like a Black Mamba for example is one of the most dangerous in the world. you will never have to worry about them though unless one of your clients is snake handler :laugh:

but just wanted to say black snakes doesn't= safe snakes

lawnspecialties
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Frogs, frogs, frogs. That's all I ever hit. Hit two yesterday. I hate it but for some reason, they stay low in the ground or turf until the trimmer goes over and then they jump out.

You know when you hit them because it's like a soft yet thick "thud". Sure enough, you look over and there he is (or parts of him is).:confused:

mattfromNY
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
We're up to 8 snakes dead so far this year. First one I saw, I had squiggles mowed all over the customers' lawn until I got him! Had to go back and make the lawn look a little nicer, but the customer was happy. Just Monday, got a big one with the trimmer, made it bog right down for a second, then WIIIINNNNNGGGG, threw him 30 feet in the air. 2 woodchucks dead by truck and trailer so far. Have yet to meet a customer that was upset about me killing snakes or wood chucks on their property.

RYNOss
05-24-2007, 11:06 PM
When I lived in Indy I would be lucky to see a snake every few months, now that I'm in Florida I probably see half a dozen a day. Most fall prey to my hedge trimmers. They love to lay on the top of the hedges in the morning. I don't lop their heads off on purpose, just bad timing on their part. I did however have no problem running over the rattler that decided to strike at my deck as I went by. He was also in a residential neighborhood.

Grass Kickin
05-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I've hit a couple of snakes that I only saw at the last second as they scurried under the deck. Rat snakes maybe. I've seen a couple of rattlers and a coral snake here but not too close.

txgrassguy
05-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Back in the early ninties I worked at an upscale country club in Boca Raton, Fl.
Very first day I am mowing a lake bank and I hit a nest of water moccasins.
I stopped counting at seventeen that was swarming on the front deck of the mower. Backed up real quick and instant puree - those fish had a feast that day.
Here in Central Texas I haven't been bit yet but I have had several close encounters. The last one was when I was low crawling through a mature Sage hedge tracing irrigation wires and came across a 4' pissed off rattlesnake. BOOM with the 'ol .38 and no more snake.
I crawl out from under the hedge covered in mulch and leaves and the husband and wife customer were laughing so hard they were crying.
Apparently I made their day - they had never heard of an armed LCO before.
I picked up so much work from their recounting that story that two years later the incident is still mentioned.
My dog has been struck once by a smaller rattler - looked like Mike Tyson after Buster Douglas kicked the snot out of him - all swollen up.
She now hates snakes and will kill any of them given half of a chance.

troutfishing15
05-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Well loading up the mowers to find a 5 foot black snake found some nice shade under the deck. Let her live its either mice or her. Then at the first commercial of the day had hit a copperhead nest and killed two. Owner said he didn't want the responsibility of getting bit. So I got a shovel and layed on the concrete and made it fast. Scared the S*** out of me weedeating and the momma was about 5 half foot long.

green-pa
05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Back in the early ninties I worked at an upscale country club in Boca Raton, Fl.
Very first day I am mowing a lake bank and I hit a nest of water moccasins.
I stopped counting at seventeen that was swarming on the front deck of the mower. Backed up real quick and instant puree - those fish had a feast that day.
Here in Central Texas I haven't been bit yet but I have had several close encounters. The last one was when I was low crawling through a mature Sage hedge tracing irrigation wires and came across a 4' pissed off rattlesnake. BOOM with the 'ol .38 and no more snake.
I crawl out from under the hedge covered in mulch and leaves and the husband and wife customer were laughing so hard they were crying.
Apparently I made their day - they had never heard of an armed LCO before.
I picked up so much work from their recounting that story that two years later the incident is still mentioned.
My dog has been struck once by a smaller rattler - looked like Mike Tyson after Buster Douglas kicked the snot out of him - all swollen up.
She now hates snakes and will kill any of them given half of a chance.

Wow, THat's a really interesting story and I can see how u could pick up customers over such a thing. And thanks to everyone with all the stories on this! I don't feel so bad about the 2 snakes I've "trimmed". The last one had been there for a week, he's all dried out now. I'm not touchin' it. I'd figured the birds woulda got him or maybe a possum or something. Oh well. So did your dog make a full recovery?

green-pa
05-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Well loading up the mowers to find a 5 foot black snake found some nice shade under the deck. Let her live its either mice or her. Then at the first commercial of the day had hit a copperhead nest and killed two. Owner said he didn't want the responsibility of getting bit. So I got a shovel and layed on the concrete and made it fast. Scared the S*** out of me weedeating and the momma was about 5 half foot long.

Yeah, 5ft poisoness snake; that would be scary ;)

JoshC
05-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I lived up in NY most of my life and only had to deal with little snakes so I was never too concerned. When I moved to NC five years ago I almost had to go change my shorts after I saw my first black snake. After killing it I checked and it was just short of 6' (I didn't know to leave them alone yet). Past few years I was lucky and only saw a few other black snakes and left them alone. But for some reason this year it seems like snakes are all over. In the past week I have killed two baby copperheads and a 2.5 footer, almost got a water moccasin but it was faster than my mower, and I have seen 3 or 4 black snakes.

txgrassguy
05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Yes, my dog has recovered fully. As far as problems with snakes, the most problems I have encountered with reptiles have been with some pissed off gators - but by far and away the worse has been those damned brazilian crocs common to south florida.
Nasty little bastards charge out of the water at you, snapping all of the time.
I'll take the occasional rattler over those crocs any day.

green-pa
05-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes, my dog has recovered fully. As far as problems with snakes, the most problems I have encountered with reptiles have been with some pissed off gators - but by far and away the worse has been those damned brazilian crocs common to south florida.
Nasty little bastards charge out of the water at you, snapping all of the time.
I'll take the occasional rattler over those crocs any day.

Brazillian crocs huh? Never heard of them. They are larger than the Alligators I'd imagine? So do u use your mower as a shield and they run back or do u just run from them?

Military Lawns
05-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Got my first one Saturday with the edger. Not sure what kind it was because I was too busy getting the heck outta the way. Anyhow, this customer let his grass grow damn near ankle high. I told him $65.00 versus my regular $45.00. He said why, and I said because my mower, edger and trimmers are exposed to greater wear and I use more fuel. He said alright but he wasn't going to pay me that much again. So, I asked him to pay me first and then told him good...because the next time it would be $100.00.

lurch
05-28-2007, 04:08 AM
i killed a 6' bull snake two weeks back....that was a pissed off snake...he kept trying to strike at the deck over and over...and he was surprisingly agile as he kept dodging me...eventually i got so pissed i grabbed a shovel and Marie Antionette'd his ass...good times

txgrassguy
05-28-2007, 09:24 AM
green-pa, the brazillian croc grows to about 5 feet in length.
Very nasty disposition, extremely aggressive and they move much faster than the alligator.
Common to south florida's ubiquitous channels, drainage areas and golf course ponds.

wannabemowing
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I wish there was no such thing as a snake, they are just nasty...I live in MN and work for a lawn care company in the summer so being up here the worst snake I see is gardener snake so nothing dangerous but if I see one I can guarntee it wont live to see another day. I don't know how you guys can deal with those "real deal" snakes down in the south. I go to AZ once a year for vacation and I always check the patio before I go out so I don't get surprised by a rattler. Man I HATE snakes!!!

stevenf
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
3 copper heads
2 cotton mouths

Statements like that mean that you have no idea on anything about snakes, and 99.99% of the time, people like you always seem to kill a venomous snake.
There are more snakes on this earth rather than cottenmouths and copperheads.............

bohiaa
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
some black snakes can be Water moccasins depending on your location. Very poisonous and VERY aggressive!

I tend to hit a lot of animals while bush hogging. rabbits and depending on how low the land is or close to a bog i will catch the occasional turtle. Lots of snakes. rattlers, copper heads and water moccasins. usually 10 of each a year

Water moccasins.....aggressive! ? never seen one that was aggressive....

most of the time they try to get away from you, they will attack if there attacked or cornered,

the way one got me was I was working myself into an area felt something hit my leg 3 times, felt like a thump, very light, I turned around and he was ready to strike again,,, I kicked him and he went away, Checked the back of my leg and YUP he got me...

in My area "according to Harris County" there has only been one person die from a snake, an elderly man, and a copper head.

very seldom will a person die, mainly just sick for about 3 days,
the native indians used to just lay down and go to sleep when struck...

But as far as being aggressive I have never herd that before.

stevenf
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
They arent aggressive at all unless you get right in there face. Who.what wouldnt be?
And no, NO cotten mouths are black, I dont care what location your in. They do have some that are dark brown.....

OUTLANDER
02-13-2008, 02:24 AM
i agree stevenf,and for the record,BLACK SNAKES ARE NOT POISONOUS,and about the black mamba being the most venomous,thats true,but the black mamba is actually BROWN...............some black snakes have been known to have some venom,but not harmfull to us except for the pain of the bite