PDA

View Full Version : Can a large wb fit in truck bed?

green-pa
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I've got a dodge ram and wonder how many of u guys put your large wb in the bed if it's possible. I'd like to have one but probably can't afford another mower AND trailer too at the moment. Are they too heavy cause I don't see this much if at all. But this is my first year and I'd really like to upgrade from my 21 to make the larger lawns easier and possibly pick up a few more before the seasons 1/2 over. How much do these things weight; 36 in, 42 in, 48 in. I'm thinking 'bout a 48. I'd rather have a z but they are just outta my price range for a descent one.

ncls
05-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I've put two 48" Scag walk behinds in the back of a full size Chevy p/u.

green-pa
05-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I've put two 48" Scag walk behinds in the back of a full size Chevy p/u.

Really? Do u have to get the expensive steel ramps which are like $150+ or can u just use wood made ramps which are much cheaper? And are they very hard to unload or can one man do it.

jbone
05-23-2007, 12:33 AM
The easiest way is to find a small hill to back up to to load/unload (with the ramps). Ive had my 48" scag wb in my chevy fullsize. The wooden ramps work fine so long a they are long enough... The steeper it is the harder it is. Make sure you have some way of strapping/securing the ramps while loading/unloading. I learned the hard way after dropping it once. and TAKE IT SLOW. Other than that its reall not that bad...however I feel spoiled now using a trailer.

MeadowsLawnCare
05-23-2007, 01:07 AM
check the paper, you should be able to find a reasonably priced trailer in there. I bought a 5x8 steel frame trailer with ramp for under $100, of course that was a steal but if you cant afford that just make sure you have long, secure ramps because you definatly wont be able to lift the mower in, other than that it should fit just fine.

Thanks,
Andy Meadows

mirrorlandscapes
05-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Hmm...obviously putting a wb in the back of truck is doable, but talk about dangerous. When I started I drove my riding mower up wooden ramps into the back of my full size bed, but I've fallen off many times. Yes, finding a ditch or hill to cut the angle down is alot easier, but what if that isn't an option. Try to find a used small trailer, it is SOOO much easier and a LOT safe both for you and the equipment.

Even a brand new 4x8 trailer with drop down gate should be less than a 1000 bucks. Look around and find one it will be worth it! If not, just be really careful! Good luck.

HOOLIE
05-23-2007, 01:28 AM
The weight is a non-issue, a wb is around 500 pounds or so, you wont even notice it's in the back of the truck.

The wooden ramps are not bad at all for a wb...loading is no problem. Unloading, just stand on the ends of the ramps to keep them secure, and REMAIN standing on them until the rear wheels of the mower are fully on the ramp and starting to descend. The 'danger zone' so to speak is the moment when the wheels first touch the ramp...if you don't keep the ramp from moving then you could have problems. I never secured the ramps other than standing on them. Unloaded thousands of times, in all sorts of weather. Probably could do it blindfolded :laugh:

green-pa
05-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks guys! Of course I'd rather have a trailer but every issue of the trader I've purchased only has regular priced trailers. I really only need a small 4x6 I think but they are about $550-600 new. I wish I could find a used one for like $300-350. Anyone have one in IN?

ncls
05-23-2007, 08:05 AM
The weight is a non-issue, a wb is around 500 pounds or so, you wont even notice it's in the back of the truck.

The wooden ramps are not bad at all for a wb...loading is no problem. Unloading, just stand on the ends of the ramps to keep them secure, and REMAIN standing on them until the rear wheels of the mower are fully on the ramp and starting to descend. The 'danger zone' so to speak is the moment when the wheels first touch the ramp...if you don't keep the ramp from moving then you could have problems. I never secured the ramps other than standing on them. Unloaded thousands of times, in all sorts of weather. Probably could do it blindfolded :laugh:

Exactly what he said....

Vikings
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Really? Do u have to get the expensive steel ramps which are like $150+ or can u just use wood made ramps which are much cheaper? And are they very hard to unload or can one man do it.
I have steel ramps but I seen a guy with a lawn tractor with bag attachment in the back of his truck. His back gate was open and he had two long wooden ramps sticking out. 2x10's I believe. If you use wood definetly buy those steel things that go on the end otherwise its very dangerous.

Ned5485
05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys! Of course I'd rather have a trailer but every issue of the trader I've purchased only has regular priced trailers. I really only need a small 4x6 I think but they are about $550-600 new. I wish I could find a used one for like $300-350. Anyone have one in IN?

Go to harborfreight.com. I dont know how good the quality is.(they have some pretty junky stuff, but I have found some decent stuff a great prices), but they have very affordable trailers. I just looked, there is a retail store in Indy. They have several sizes. EX: Brand new 4x8(you have to add floor, but could be just plywood for now) for$239! Surely you can afford that? They have a tiny one on sale for $149.

If you dont like those, I am in Evansville. And I pass a 4x8 everyday, I think it has a gate. She wants $350 (I think, not sure).

Let me know about the trailer quality, if you go to harbor freight. If nothing else, I promise you will find a bargain on something you need there!

Grits
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM
For God's Sake!! Get a trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will end up dropping that mower off of ramps. Not to mention how dumb you will look trying to wrestle that thing out of your truck. I see trailers for sale all the time for around $300. Do it right or not at all.

lurch
05-24-2007, 12:01 AM
i don't know what i did before my trailer...

oh yea..i dropped my mower...

green-pa
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Go to harborfreight.com. I dont know how good the quality is.(they have some pretty junky stuff, but I have found some decent stuff a great prices), but they have very affordable trailers. I just looked, there is a retail store in Indy. They have several sizes. EX: Brand new 4x8(you have to add floor, but could be just plywood for now) for$239! Surely you can afford that? They have a tiny one on sale for $149.

If you dont like those, I am in Evansville. And I pass a 4x8 everyday, I think it has a gate. She wants $350 (I think, not sure).

Let me know about the trailer quality, if you go to harbor freight. If nothing else, I promise you will find a bargain on something you need there!

Thanks for the tip, that's certainly within my budjet at $239; less than 1/2 what most places sell them for!

green-pa
05-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Is that very hard to do; build a floor and siding and ramp? Cause these things dont' look like they come with any of that for $269. THe regular ones are same price as everywhere else; $600+ :(

MeadowsLawnCare
05-24-2007, 02:41 AM
you can buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood from your local lumber yard for less than $20. Then all you have to do is bolt it to the trailer. You could use some kind of wood for a ramp too or have a trailer place make you up one.

J&R Landscaping
05-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I was using a two wood planks with a set of ramp ends at the top of them. In a full size pick-up, you can easily fit a 48" mower and possibly even a 52" wide mower depending upon your wheel wells.

I've seen a few people around here work out of a pickup running either a 32 or 36" and a 48".wb.

Grits
05-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I was using a two wood planks with a set of ramp ends at the top of them. In a full size pick-up, you can easily fit a 48" mower and possibly even a 52" wide mower depending upon your wheel wells.

I've seen a few people around here work out of a pickup running either a 32 or 36" and a 48".wb.

That may be fine for a 1 time transport. But to do this day in and day out???????????? RIDICULOUS!!!!!
Don't buy a trailer from Northern. You can find a decent used one for $300.

KTO Enterprises
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Im with grits. It took me a long time in racing to learn that its a lot better to spend a little more up front and save a lot of time and money in the back end. By going the cheap route you stand the chance to drop your mower and bend or break something. Potentially expensive. a tie down strap break on a trailer with no side rails and you are watching your mower bounce down the street. Time is money. you can find good used trailers in the 300 to 400 range a lot. i see 4x6 in the tell-n-sell here for 300 all the time. Usually someone who started small and needed something bigger.

S man
05-24-2007, 09:45 PM
How would you get the wb out of the truck? With the mower running in reverse? or neutral and free wheeling? My dealer said it looks dangerous and is to get even a 32" out of a truck. It is very high compared to a trailer. For me I'm getting a trailer when I get my wb.

BotetourtBoy3
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
i was wonder i saw like some kind of like double fold ramp that replaces ur stock tailgate, do any of yall know what im talking bout if so do you know where to find it?

shade tree landscaping
05-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Whne I need to I fit my Quick 36 in the bed of my Ram with more than enough room to put def one, maybe even two more if nescaary! Spend the money and buy the steel ramps, the wood will not hold up!

HOOLIE
05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
If anyone goes the wooden ramp route, the metal ends are called Ramparts. You can pick them up at Lowes/Home Cheapo and I've seen them at several dealers. The instructions will tell you the best board length for the height of your tailgate. Too short a ramp is what leads to dropping the mower off the truck.

I wouldn't drive a rider up them, but a walk behind is no problem.

Grits
05-25-2007, 12:51 AM
If anyone goes the wooden ramp route, the metal ends are called Ramparts. You can pick them up at Lowes/Home Cheapo and I've seen them at several dealers. The instructions will tell you the best board length for the height of your tailgate. Too short a ramp is what leads to dropping the mower off the truck.

I wouldn't drive a rider up them, but a walk behind is no problem.

I disagree. All it takes is for it to pull to one side and then for the operator to over-correct.

HOOLIE
05-25-2007, 01:33 AM
I disagree. All it takes is for it to pull to one side and then for the operator to over-correct.

How does it pull to one side??? As Mr. Miyagi would say "Be one with the mower" :laugh:

green-pa
05-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Whne I need to I fit my Quick 36 in the bed of my Ram with more than enough room to put def one, maybe even two more if nescaary! Spend the money and buy the steel ramps, the wood will not hold up!

Do u unload the quick 36 by yourself or do u need assistance. Cause I know it weighs over 200, maybe closer to 300. If so, how do u safely do this or are your ramps really long?

Grits
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
How does it pull to one side??? As Mr. Miyagi would say "Be one with the mower" :laugh:

If you were to get jumpy and hit a control.
Doing this all day, every day, it would only be a matter of time before that mower falls off the ramps.

shade tree landscaping
05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
No only one person loads / unloads the the Quick. We dont do it ofton but when we need to it goes rite up the matal ramps no prob, turn and park it side waysup by the cab, and then back it down. Just make sure the ramps are lined up good before backing it down.