PDA

View Full Version : How early in the day is too early to start?

green-pa
05-23-2007, 07:18 AM
This is my first year so I'm not full time yet; only 25-30 weekly customers ( which I'm thankful for!). But I'm a night owl sometimes and mostly don't get started 'til 11am, noon, or 1pm; when it's really hot out many times. I'm up early today and it's still cool out. IT's like 65 but it's supposed to get up to 89 today. I don't want to be out in 89 unless I have to, so is it ok to go ahead and begin at like 8am? I'm sure many of u guys have so many customers and/or 2 jobs so u have to start early. Just wondering, cause I know if it's too early, sometimes there is excessive dew on the ground and does that matter; although there's not hardly any on the ground here right now as it's very dry lately.

venom
05-23-2007, 07:55 AM
I had a lady ask me the other day a neighbor not the homeowner if i will not mow before 1pm , Im like uh your crazy

bohiaa
05-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Know yuor Customers,,,,

I have some that work night's, they want me there early.... "before they go to bed.

ffemt1271
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
if you have a mixture of commercial mow them early and late, i try to hold my residential to 8 to 5

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I will never start a residential property before 8am. Many of my clients are Navy, so they are generally gone form home around 530AM, but residentially zoned areas have many noise restrictions. There are some neighborhoods here where they will fine you if you mow before 10 am. Commercially zoned properties can be mowed at anytime. On the hot days I tend to mow these before the sun comes up...I would deffinately say you should start early as possible so that you can be done before the really hot part of the day around 12-3pm. We had a small heatwave here in VA last year where the heat index was well into the 120s and I actually changed the route for my commercial guys and had them cut over night. Worked out really well actually..If I could only put an efficient light on a string trimmer.....:drinkup:

Matts lawn care
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I will not start before 8am.

Fairway Land & Lawn,
Have you tried to ware one of those lights that strap to your head?

gary6768
05-23-2007, 04:22 PM
My father is 78 years old and a little out of it. When it snows he'll go out and snowblow at 4 am. He sometimes mows the lawn at 4 or 5 in the morning. When I visit him the folks around him complain to me about it.

Swampy
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
We come in around 6AM to do machine maintenance, sharpen blades, load up, and fuel up. But local ordinance for the cities around here is 730AM -6PM in residential neighbor hoods for spring, summer, and fall. With commercial and municipal its when ever you want.

Easiest thing to do is just go to the (village/town/city your working in) hall or Police Department to get a list of ordinances.

FinerCutslawnCare
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
It all depends i guess. The earliest i have started is 530 but that was on a cemetary. I normally don't start until 7:30 or 8 just because i want to do it while it is still cool.

Bill S
05-23-2007, 05:45 PM
7:00 am for us. We are usually on the first lawn by 7:30!

I have often contemplated a later start time but I am a morning person, so until local laws change I will be out with the worms.

KTO Enterprises
05-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I usually start residentials at 9:00. That gives people tome to get out to work and through neighborhoods before I start blocking one side of the street. I have found that I never got much accomplished between 8 and 9 because of the traffic around and trying to be considerate of people leaving their houses. One neighborhood I mow in is a Centex development. My truck is 20 feet long bumper to bumper and 16 feet of trailer with 3 feet of tongue and 4 feet of gate is 43 feet. It stretches from one driveway to just about blocking half of another with the gate down. Can make it real interesting for people getting out and trying to get to work.

topsites
05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
sheee lucky if you see me by the crack of noon, earliest I would get to one is 9a but that's only with a really full schedule, I think I might've got one or the other as early as 8 or 8:30 but that was a mistake

LindblomRJ
05-23-2007, 07:55 PM
sheee lucky if you see me by the crack of noon, earliest I would get to one is 9a but that's only with a really full schedule, I think I might've got one or the other as early as 8 or 8:30 but that was a mistake

So during the summer you are working in the hottest time of day?

chris_poyner
05-23-2007, 08:04 PM
i do most of my work in a subdivision where you cant do any work until after 7am. i checked with all my clients about seeing if i can cut early or not. needless to say, im usually setting at the driveway at 6:55 waiting until 7 to come around.

topsites
05-23-2007, 08:20 PM
So during the summer you are working in the hottest time of day?

No, if it's really hot outside (104+) I do nothing from 11a - 2p, have to work around those hours however which way.

J&T Kiev
05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Residential at 7:30, commercials, when ever, most Retail establishment commercialsí, in and out before they open.

Duncan90si
05-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I'll start mowing residentials at 7am. A few of the shopping plazas we do we are there as early as 5:30am. No traffic, no parked cars with the front bumpers hanging over the curb in the grass, no people walking by; its just much more convenient and a lot less of a chance of someone or thing getting hit by the mower or a flying object.

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-23-2007, 09:28 PM
I have thought about a miners light, but would be afraid I would look stupid...not that I dont look stupid cutting grass at 4:00am or anything:hammerhead: I just like to have the afternoon off, I have appointments with Mr. Budweiser and the fish in the Chesapeake Bay that I just cannot miss..... :drinkup: The earlier the better for us. My workers love it, they are home in time to meet their kids at the bus stop or take a nap before the wives get home.

Vikings
05-23-2007, 11:24 PM
if you have a mixture of commercial mow them early and late, i try to hold my residential to 8 to 5

Yes, business hours so that you can, with a little luck, not bump into them. I clean windows in evenings and weekends because I need to get paid now and also got to get inside the house. But lawns should be done in business hours imo.

edit: residential I mean.

Mark13
05-23-2007, 11:34 PM
The earliest i have started is 530 but that was on a cemetary.

Did you happen to get any noise complaints or anything from the residents?

txgrassguy
05-24-2007, 08:13 AM
The crews are in the shop by 0630 M-F and 0730 on Saturday.
Location of the actual site determines the start time but usually it is around 0700 or so.
The day ends at 1530 with everyone back at the shop for a end of the day equipment check/refuelling/truck(s) clean out.

J&R Landscaping
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm usually loading up @ the shop around 715-730 ish. I am out front of the first customers house either a few minutes before or a few after 8am. I will be out mowing till 5-630pm.

cgaengineer
05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
My father is 78 years old and a little out of it. When it snows he'll go out and snowblow at 4 am. He sometimes mows the lawn at 4 or 5 in the morning. When I visit him the folks around him complain to me about it.

Tell them he is 78 years old and he did his time...give him a break! Also if he is a veteran tell them, if he is not lie!

cgaengineer
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
It all depends i guess. The earliest i have started is 530 but that was on a cemetary. I normally don't start until 7:30 or 8 just because i want to do it while it is still cool.

Yeah, those customers dont complain much!

LindblomRJ
05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Did you happen to get any noise complaints or anything from the residents?

Yeah, those customers dont complain much!

If they did I would be out of there faster you can say boo!

MOWEMJEFF
05-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Everyone is saying whats to early....well what is too late???

Right now my only helper is a friend who works for the city and he has 11 accounts of his own that we do together along with non-mowing jobs work, I get all mine done Monday and Tuesday. I start around 2 wed-fri and I'm ready to go when he gets out at 330 and we work till about 7 and then all day on weekends.

I know a lot of my customers on a personal basis and it often means wasting 10 minutes at each job talking but it also means they are there to pay me instead of waiting for the bill in the mail and it sitting in their stack of bills for 3 weeks. I've also got a lot of free meals and tips. Do you think that so long as they don't complain its alright to keep this scheduel. If I keep getting customers at the rate I am I'll be starting at 8 am and working till 7 anyways.

Nathan Robinson
05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
7am for residential. and 6 am for commercial that is not real close to residential homes.

topsites
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
See, here's the thing...

No matter what time I start, it is ALWAYS dark before I get inside my house.
It does not matter if I head out at the crack of noon or at 6am, by the time it is all said and done it is always DARK!

So, I head out in just enough time to where if everything goes as planned, I'm home 1-2 hours before darkness (7p'ish around now). This gives me a little elbow room in case of downtime and what have you, but at least for me it helps me keep my sanity because I don't get caught up doing all sorts of extra knick knack paddy whack and mickey mouse crap.

If my customers want something more done, if it's a small thing I do it, if it's not I schedule it for next visit out, I leave the house with not much more than an hour of daylight to spare, this helps me a lot.

I didn't get to my first yard today until 2p (LOL). But see, I spend my mornings and evenings prepping and getting everything ready, by the time I got back home at around 7'ish, I had serviced 7 lots and grossed $245.
Because I find it a lot easier to get all my crap for the day organized and ready to go at home than out in the field, I HATE rummaging around the truck trying to find stuff, I unload what I don't need and leave it behind.
I map out my route at home before I leave, both on paper and in my head (but mostly in my head), I got every thing planned out, ducks in a row, one-2-3-4-BREAK- 5-6-7, blam!
Then all my stuff is full tank of fuel, trimmer line there's an extra spool already wound, I mean everything is READY to go and so I can run-run-run and I'm done... If I ever spend that hour doing repairs in the field, it might happen once / year or so, every other day goes smooth but even the off day I got another machine at home waiting and ready.
Run home, drop off broken POS, pick up ready machine, get back out!

Now if things were busier then I would head out earlier, but they're not.

Oh, too late is if I foresee darkness hitting before I can finish, then I head home and start that next day.

Grass Kickin
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
9am most of the year, 8 am in the summer for me.

Dave_005
05-25-2007, 10:34 PM
I Start my residential lawns at 8 am everyday

Dave_005
05-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I always start my residential lawns by 8 am

MJStrain
05-28-2007, 11:02 PM
7:00 a.m. is not too early.

RICHIE K
05-29-2007, 06:27 AM
7:30 am ................