PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Motor question...

wilsonbh
05-23-2007, 08:34 AM
What would cause an old Kohler 14hp gas motor to run perfectly at low RPMs but run extremely rough at higher RPMs?

I'm at the end of my rope with this. Getting close to taking it in to a shop.

Billy

thecrankshaft
05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Any smoke?

Check the plug and see what it looks like. It may be running rich or lean, burning oil, weak ignition, improper ignition timing, etc.

Oh, and CHECK THE POINTS!

I'm guessing this is most likely a K321.

wilsonbh
05-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Any smoke?

Check the plug and see what it looks like. It may be running rich or lean, burning oil, weak ignition, improper ignition timing, etc.

Oh, and CHECK THE POINTS!

I'm guessing this is most likely a K321.

Yes, it's a K321. No smoke. New coil and condenser. Can't find the damnd points but have them. Plug is a little black. Replaced the air filter too. Put some "Seafoam" in tank. Runs great at 1/2 throttle but that won't cut the grass. As I increase the throttle, it begins to miss and gets so bad that I have to back off the throttle. If I push the throttle all the way up, it will run extremely rough then cycles to smooth running and back to rough.

Restrorob
05-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Billy,

Have you looked at the picture I posted in your other thread, And read what khouse said about tracing the coil wire ???

Maybe you really do need to take this unit to a shop and let them repair it for you !!!

khouse
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
You can't get any better than the picture that Restrorob posted on your old thread. The last think you said on the old thread was that you were going to find and replace the points and blow out the carb. Why post a new thread with the same problems without doing what you said? You can download a service manual off of the Kohler site if you need one.

Ironic
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
just today one of my grounds"men";) brought in an Exmark 44" Zturn with a 17 horse Kohler that was vibrating like a SOB when above idle. I changed the plugs, checked compression, looked at valve action yaddayaddayadda, but then I got to looking underneath and discovered that the electric PTO clutch was starting to seperate! had a nice little wobble to it, and that was the source of the vibration. just something else for you to look at.

wilsonbh
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
You can't get any better than the picture that Restrorob posted on your old thread. The last think you said on the old thread was that you were going to find and replace the points and blow out the carb. Why post a new thread with the same problems without doing what you said? You can download a service manual off of the Kohler site if you need one.

Thanks to you all for the help. You guys really ROCK!!! I would have never ever figured this out without your patient help. I just have little to no experience with small engines.

Additionally, my mechanic skills, on a scale of 1 to 10 where my wife is a 1, I'm a 3 or 4. So the picture helped greatly. It turned out to be the points. Once I found them, was pretty easy to change them out. They may need a little tweeking on the gap as I didn't have a sideways screwdriver to open and close that screw for adjustment but I got it close and now it runs up to high RPM and purrs like a kitty.

Someone told me to avoid the small engine mechanic that said the engine was worn out. That's good advice too.

Billy

Restrorob
05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
It turned out to be the points. Once I found them, now it runs up to high RPM and purrs like a kitty.

Thank God !!! :hammerhead:

Now you know what to do should it act up again, Just down-load the manual Bill posted the link for and save it in your computer and READ it !!!

Take Care Billy, It was fun. http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biker.gif

khouse
05-23-2007, 11:09 PM
You wore our butt's out on this one. I don't have any hair left. Glad to here it's running. Good job!