PDA

View Full Version : what do you do when?

BLKSS
05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
you talk to a new customer, go to their house and agree on mowing the yard the next day at 9:00 am, you get there and its already mowed. called customer and he said "hey man sorry but i could not stand it anymore, I had to get it cut". do yall think he called somebody or someone stopped by and asked if it needed to be mowed.

bohiaa
05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
he may have been checking the markett...

Or just being a butt head..

d.m.d.
05-23-2007, 01:04 PM
it will happen again.......

Grits
05-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Things happen. There isn't a whole lot you can do. Just move on.

GSPHUNTER
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I have a client like this. She is a weekly client, but she'll call and say she cut it. It's not a huge deal, but I will be planning ahead for it next year. My agreement will only allow for this 2 times per season before I charge regardless of them cutting or not. If they don't like this, they can't start hunting for another service.

BLKSS
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I think im gonna charge a estimate fee but only when i establish more customers. yea it sucks but what can ya do.
thanks all

GreenN'Clean
05-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Did you have him sign a service agreement? Always get a agreement signed and don't just take a customers word for anything. Get it in writing and if he tries to back out and have someone else cut it then he is still in a contract with you and still has to pay you

txgrassguy
05-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Without a written and signed contract you are out of luck.
Regarding the estimation charge, unless you have a high market saturation and don't want new business then go ahead and start charging these fees.

WJW Lawn
05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Ive had the same crap happen to me before too. Nothing you can do...screw em...roll on.

GLLawns
05-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I think im gonna charge a estimate fee but only when i establish more customers. yea it sucks but what can ya do.
thanks all

Doing this will just add more nails to your business's coffin. If someone told me I had to pay for an estimate I'd tell him to kiss my azz. Just make sure next time you ask them to sign the estimate form giving you permission to do the work, even if it's just for a single service. This way if you show up and it's done or being done you can still charge them for the service call.

topsites
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
To me that says the customer thinks I'm stupid, and they are right...
So, I am a moron.

If it's an account I care to keep, DO find out IF per chance my schedule's too relaxed, and if accelerating the cut frequency fixes this, no problem.

Here are the options:
- Cross them off the schedule, my services here are no longer needed.
- We had an agreement, I cut it at 9a, they said yes, I do it, and bill them.

One or the other, either way, don't push my buttons please.

Dave_005
05-26-2007, 12:02 AM
i had this happen to me once, i showed up and it was already cut, turns out he got some kid to do it cheaper, but he called me again 3 weeks later and said the kid wasnt working out and wanted me to take over, so i raised my rate for his lawn and he accepted without hesitation this time, he's paid on time and been a loyal customer for 2 seasons now

BLKSS
05-26-2007, 12:51 AM
i hope that happens for me

dKoester
05-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Whatever work you plan on doing for a customer do it under contract.

sheshovel
05-26-2007, 01:18 AM
I would charge them for the cut, they wasted a meeting trip and a service call. Charge them for it. Nothing irritates me more that clients who think you can drive around free and who don't respect or understand that it costs us $$ every time they change their minds. You got an ok, you called and confirmed. What they did was inconsiderate and uncalled for. You had an oral agreement.