PDA

View Full Version : Big job

MowinJesusFreak
05-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Alright, I have to make an 80 apartment complex look really nice and i was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on what type of fertilizer and what not. There are mainly alot of spots in the grass where there in no grass just some dirt and i want to thicken the grass and cover those spots up in the larger areas of the complex. The grass in kentucky 31 and i am in tennessee. Any help on what kind of fertlilzer for this time of year or anything would be great! thanks!

ampeg76
05-23-2007, 09:17 PM
for best profit, and to make sure you don't lose your ass, this type of planning and pricing should have already been done prior to bidding!

Pro-Scapes
05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
exactly and you should of used stellar workmanship as a sales point. Why are there dirt spots ? was there grass there and something killed it ? Does it just need spot repairs you could top dress and stake off while you reseed ? Til and sod it ?

Not enough info!

If you didnt have a plan for this before bidding your opening yourselff to losing your butt or your going to disapoint the client.

MowinJesusFreak
05-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I dont know why there are dirt spots and im almost positive nothing killed it the grass is just sparse and not very strong. This is a new development and they are still adding on. I got hired to mow, then the guy told me to do whatever i need to to "make it look good" and that he will pay me whatever he needs to.

carcrz
05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
you better get that in writing before you go spending money & your bill gets sent back to you in an empty envelope.

Smallaxe
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
When I get in a situation like that , I try to gain a bit of control over the irrigation. After a mow , use a broom rake to scratch in some seed and cover with compost or something. Just a few minutes in the worst areas. Then have it watered everyday, until the next mow. New lawns need time and it doesn't hurt to actually mow at the recommended 3". At least until the turf can handle the crewcut look. Add that time to the bill and see how much they are willing to pay. Wait for success before charging ahead overseeding the entire lawn. That is best done in fall. Just raising the mower a notch will make it look better quite often.

.rick.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
05-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Could the spots be from the tenants pets?

MowinJesusFreak
05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks smallaxe......i dont think they are from pets they dont look like the brown spots like that there are mainly just little sploches of dirt that i wanna patch up. Would i need to reseed or would spreading fertilizer help the grass spread on its own?

Smallaxe
05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I have seen grass spread over the top of rock walls or concrete walks, with bare spots right there on fertile ground. So proactive or passive is a judgement call. Around here, with irrigation, those spots are caused by puddling. Fertilizer can't fix that.

.rick.