PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Hydrangia!!

jonspolaris
05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
help, I planted a Ever-blooming hydrangia on the south side of the house about two weeks ago. Soil is well draining.Well watered.
What is wrong with it?
Is it time for Superthrive?

Bill S
05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
looks like some of your leaves are curling...look on bottom side of leaf (closely) for insects....aphids, etc.

sheshovel
05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Well the heat reflection off that rock may have something to do with it. Also, might be that your soil is too well draining and the plant has no time to absorb what it needs before it is gone.
Another thing is these plants have very sensitive root systems and cannot be planted too deeply, best to plant them high rather than low. Or you may have damaged the roots in the planting process.
They need good soil rich in organic matter. What I am seeing is signs of the plant being unable to take up enough water. I suggest you pull away those rocks all around it at lease 4 or 5" and look to see if it is too deep, and stick your finger in by the rootball see if it is moist. Make sure it can hold water around it or if the water is running off away from the plant.
Then make sure that there are no air pockets by firming the soil around it with your hand.

Plant Buyer 83
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Your hydrangea looks wilted and as she shovel said those rocks are putting out alot of extra heat. They do like well drained soil, but it MUST be moist. As said before check every few days to make sure the soil is moist and if it isn't then it is most likely drought stress. If that is the case water more often. Good luck.

Matt

jonspolaris
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks,
I checked for aphids and there was no sign of any bugs.

The odd think is that I had just taken out a hydrangia in this exact location to put this one in. the old one grew like a weed, but was a bloom once,and it was white blooms. This one is a mulitple bloomer and it is pink.
I did plant it a bit high.
Within a few feet of this hygrangia are roses,lavender, Enoumous, and Burning bushes, and they are all growing very well, almost need to trim the burning bushes this year.
Maybe I just need to water more?

blackburn Co.
05-23-2007, 11:25 PM
right plant right place before you plant anything also wilting is due not only to lack of water but also lack of nutrients in soil and nurtient up take it might not be getting certain anions and certain cations which takes it back to right plant right place and your soil

AGLA
05-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Is that a wilt or a curl? If it is a wilt, Sheshovel covered it very well. If it is a curl, it could be residual herbicide damage from weed killer (not Roundup) in the soil. Gravel "mulch" often becomes weedy and gets sprayed and not everone reads labels. It could be that Joe Homeowner made a mistake.

cgaengineer
05-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Is this in full sun or near full sun? If so that may be your problem...these dont like full sun very much. My wife planted one in our front garden and she had to water all of the time...we moved it this season to a shady place and its doing fine now.

Oh, and I and no expert on these plants but depending on the acid content of the soils your colors may change from pink to blue (You may already know this).

jonspolaris
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
It is on the south side.
There has not been any herbasides sparyed in the area near the plant. I have check and there hasent been any grass growth around it.

yesterday I fertalized it with some Mericle Grow Blooming Mix mixed in with water.
I know it grew a little after I put it in the ground, as you can notice a flower bud starting to come up, twards the top of the photo. This wanst there when I bought it.

VO Landscape Design
05-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Iknow it is hard to do because everyone likes to see the blooms but most of the energy is going into blooming. Snip off the bloom so the energy can go into growing and stabilizing the plant. Blooming takes an enormous amount of energy in any plant. Plus what Sheshovel said.
VO.

sheshovel
05-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Ask for advice and then don't take it...I just love that!

jonspolaris
05-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Sheshovel,

I am glad for your and everyones advise.

I know its has plenty of water. Im thinking this variety of hydrangia cant take the full sun.Has anyone planted a ever-blooming hydrangia? We had a hydrangia there before and it did well, but it was a "regular" one.
It seems to get worse with the intense sun. Im going to wait for a not-so-sunny day to see it it looks better.

jonspolaris
05-26-2007, 04:55 PM
This is an updated pic, Some of the leaves are less wilted, but browner. It has not been sunny today,rain this morning.

AGLA
05-26-2007, 11:16 PM
It looks better. Is it possible that it was planted and then watered rather than being partially planted, watered in, and then fully burried? This is a basic planting principle that is often over looked these days since so many are self taught.

I'm thinking that it did not have good enough contact between the backfill, surrounding soil and the root ball until you watered it enough to try to save it.

echeandia
05-26-2007, 11:30 PM
This is an updated pic, Some of the leaves are less wilted, but browner. It has not been sunny today,rain this morning.

It appears that it was wilted since the leaves now have some turgidity to them. My guess is the rocks and sunny southern exposure are not ideal. Shade is a friend of Hydrangea.

jonspolaris
05-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks, I did completely and not partially plant it. But when I backfilled it, I made sure to force the dirt all around the root ball. i dident want any air pockets.
Today is cloudy out agian.
Do you think it will get better as it acclomates to its new location?

AGLA
05-27-2007, 04:14 PM
You really should make a habit of watering in any plant whether this hydrangea was affected by that or not. It is the single best thing you can do to ensure the survival of the plant.