PDA

View Full Version : noise

Toy2
05-23-2007, 10:43 PM
I have an 05 Toro 36", it developed a strange noise, it sounds like its coming from underneath the rear, at first i thought the tranny was going out. Its like something under there needs some oil/grease.

I keep the thing spotless, the manual tells me nothing.

I sprayed WD on all the pulleys and it still there. The mower works perfect other than the noise.

Can someone help? Thanks

MowerMedic77
05-23-2007, 11:03 PM
The trans idler bearing has more then likely failed. Its non grease-able so not much you could do. The give away is the I keep it spotless remark you made so it means you are probably washing it down and water is setting in the bearing face.

Remove it and spin it in your hand if it is rough or you can feel drag replace it with a new one.

Toy2
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Mowermedic77, thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Toy2
06-01-2007, 09:57 PM
MOWERMEDIC 77,

You were right on the money, slapped the new pulley and machine sounds like a new machine..perfect.....thank you.

Do you have any tips on how to keep mowers clean without using water? I wash the deck after every use, should I leave it alone or just order another pulley for future problems?

You know your $hit....thanks again.

MowerMedic77
06-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Cleaning your mower is a good thing, you just want to make sure you do not leave standing water in the pulley surface. This is what I tell my customers that like to clean their equipment.

1. Blow off as much loose debris as you can
2. Clean off the rest with water, making sure not to get it on the electrical system and around the carb/ air filter area.
3. Blow excess water off
4. Start unit and engage the blades and drive(this helps with any standing water in pulley/bearing surfaces
5. Grease unit, and also spray Fluid Film(free plug:) ) on areas like your trans idler pulley.

Hope this helps and I'm glad to hear you were able to fix your noise issue quick and easy. :drinkup:

Toy2
06-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the advice, when I picked up my part a older guy in front of me was complaining that his mower wasn't working right....2nd visit to the same shop and it is still broken....

I thought to myself...Mowermedic77 needs to start his own forum on mower repair and make some easy $$$$.

MowerMedic77
06-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Thank you for the compliments
Free advise does not pay well :hammerhead:(except for the joy I get in helping others:) ) and I don't know about a forum, but my own business is on the horizon:cool2: