PDA

View Full Version : Snapper 450Z

streblerm
05-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I've been reading quite a bit here lately and looking at ZTRs in the $5000 range. I've heard loud and clear the advice to wait for used commercial, but

A:I need (want) something now!
B:I'm tired of fixing stuff (warranty)

The Speedex pretty much made up my mind today as I was rolling backwards down a hill with no brakes. I have literally worked on the tractor thrice as long as I've used it this season. Between fixing and mowing time, I spent 4 hours mowing 2/3 of my two acres. There were a couple of beer breaks in there, but most of the time was productive, really...:)

Unless somebody can talk me out of this one, I think I'm buying it. I like the dealer and they fix EVERYTHING. They are close and friendly.

The model in my sights is a new '06 HZT2148BV. 21hp Vanguard, 48" 7gauge fabricated deck, 7 gauge frame, separate hydro-gear 10A pumps and wheel motors. Snapper has the best financing for my current situation with 90 day no pay followed by a straight up 2% rate. $4999 for the mower

I looked at the Hustlers. The frames may be a little heavier, but it'll cost me another $1600 (fastrak to Z) to get the same hydros, albiet along with a heavier machine. Also the dealer is farther away and seems more sales Vs service oriented.

Scag is not an option. I couldn't even get a second look there. The Toro in the 5K range seems an inferior machine.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this Snapper? I know that $1500 will get me a lot more machine, but I already made the leap from 3-$5000. I can't bring myself to spend no more.

streblerm
05-23-2007, 11:44 PM
oh yeah, I forgot to mention. It is the dual stick model, not the joystick.

streblerm
05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Anyone out there?

streblerm
05-27-2007, 08:28 AM
I took delivery on Friday. All I can say is WOW, what a machine. I mowed half my lawn, in the rain, in 36 minutes!!! The quality of the cut is excellent.

I really like how it is built. It is a rugged simple machine. I can see where the suspension on the Ferris and simplicity models would come in handy - right around 7mph and faster ;) The suspended simplicities and even the low end Ferris still didn't have the deck that the 450Z has. The 7 gauge deck on the Snapper has got to be the best residential mower deck out there.

I guess only time will tell if the hydros are any good. Hopefully If they aren't, I'll find out while it is still under warranty.

Capemay Eagle
05-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Looks nice I just looked it up. I am also in the market for a ZTR. I am looking to spend the same. I have always liked Snappers. I don't like the fact that the 450 comes with a Briggs and Straton. Is there any engine options that you know of??.

streblerm
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
The Briggs Vanguard is a well respected and long lived engine. It is much better than the Intek which I believe has been rebadged as ELS. I think the 450Z only comes with the 21hp Vanguard. There is a world of difference between the Vanguard and other Briggs engines.

If you really don't want a Briggs, the 500 model, which is the entry level in the Snapper Pro line is looks to be the same chassis and deck with a 19hp Kawasaki. I think it was another ~$500

If you step down to the 350Z in the Homeowner line you have your choice of Briggs, Kohler, or Kawasaki. The deck and frame are 10 gauge rather than 7 though. I think the hydros are the same.